Sign in with
Your question

Front panel mic and headphone not working

Last response: in Components
September 4, 2011 2:09:33 PM

I have a 945GCT-M motherboard, which is an ECS socket 775. Everything works great, except the front panel mic and headphone. I checked the pin assignments and they are correct.

My front panel has the following pins labels (they are individual, not a block, so I have to connect each one individually):

Ground (black wire)
L-Ret (green wire)
Mic Power (red wire)
R-Out (blue wire)
Mic In (orange wire)
L-Out (white wire)
R-Ret (yellow wire)

On the motherboard, it has the following:

Pin
1 AUD_MIC Front Panel Microphone input signal
2 AUD_GND Ground used by Analog Audio Circuits
3 MIC_BIAS Microphone Power
4 AUD_VCC Filtered +5V used by Analog Audio Circuits
5 AUD_F_R Right Channel audio signal to Front Panel
6 AUD_RET_R RightChannelAudiosignaltoReturnfromFrontPanel
7 REVD Reserved
8 Key No Pin
9 AUD_F_L Left Channel Audio signal to Front Panel
10 AUD_RET_L Left Channel Audio signal to Return from Front Panel

I connected:

Orange wire to pin 1
Black wire to pin 2
Red wire to pin 3
I don't have a clip for pin 4, so left it open
Blue wire to pin 5
Yellow wire to pin 6
White wire to pin 9
Green wire to pin 10

I've seated and reseated these tight. I even unplugged the connector behind the front panel (it was one block). Nothing

My previous motherboard had the same pin assignments exactly, and it worked. Using same operating system. I see no damage to any wires and was very careful in removing and reinstalling.

I've tried contacting ECS for support; it's a waste of time. They tell you to do stuff that has nothing to do with the problem, like flashing the BIOS, when the BIOS update does not address any of this. You don't go flashing the BIOS just for the heck of it and take a crap-shoot and see if it works. It's something else, but what I have no idea.

Does anyone?

September 4, 2011 2:14:30 PM

Checked your bios settings? My memory's apalling so I cant remember exactly the naming of this but there should be an option for the front panel audio to change it between two settings, both of which have different wire configs.
Try having a scout about in there, might be the problem.
m
l
September 4, 2011 3:35:13 PM

Can you check your Sound Devices in Windows or your sound card software?
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2011 4:28:20 PM

Nothing there that designates between front and rear panel. In my sound card software, it detects when you have something plugged in and it never detects it.
m
l
September 4, 2011 4:40:31 PM

flaminggerbil said:
Checked your bios settings? My memory's apalling so I cant remember exactly the naming of this but there should be an option for the front panel audio to change it between two settings, both of which have different wire configs.
Try having a scout about in there, might be the problem.

Thanks, but in m bios, there's nothing pertaining to front and rear panel audio...

Here's the manual to my motherboard:

http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfileecs/manual/mb/eng/p4/2...(1.0%20B)%20PDF_low.pdf

It starts on page 31, but don't see anything there...?
m
l
!