Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trouble with GTX 560 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2011 2:43:52 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a new computer with a GTX 560 Ti. It ran every game I could throw at it with at least 60 fps, but when I tried Crysis on ultra settings (1920x1080), it dropped to 14-15 just looking at the sky or the ocean. I have no idea why, I mean, the games 4 years old. Every resource I've looked at says I should be able to run this with at LEAST 50-60 fps! Help!

Specs

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 970
Motherboard: ASUS 770
RAM: 8 GB DDR3-1600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB EVGA Superclocked
Probably not necessary, but;
Power Supply: 800 watt
Hard Drive: 1TB 64M cache 7200 rpm 6.0 GB/s

More about : trouble gtx 560

March 29, 2011 12:11:50 AM

Which games were you running at 50-60fps?

Which drivers are you using?
March 29, 2011 12:56:38 AM

So far I've run:

Darksiders which only drops to around 50 in the most intense action scenes
WoW on ultra settings around 55
Prototype sits at 60, which is the cap
Dragon Age: Origins always at 55-60, the cap

The driver for the gpu is up to date according to the windows update thing, version 8.17.12.6666.

Thanks in advance!
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
March 29, 2011 4:50:08 AM

while the game indeed is 4 years old but this is crysis that we're talking about. :) 

March 29, 2011 5:39:58 PM

What does that mean?
March 31, 2011 7:23:12 PM

mgirard said:
Hello,

I recently bought a new computer with a GTX 560 Ti. It ran every game I could throw at it with at least 60 fps, but when I tried Crysis on ultra settings (1920x1080), it dropped to 14-15 just looking at the sky or the ocean. I have no idea why, I mean, the games 4 years old. Every resource I've looked at says I should be able to run this with at LEAST 50-60 fps! Help!

Specs

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 970
Motherboard: ASUS 770
RAM: 8 GB DDR3-1600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB EVGA Superclocked
Probably not necessary, but;
Power Supply: 800 watt
Hard Drive: 1TB 64M cache 7200 rpm 6.0 GB/s

what settings? as far as I know there isn't an ultra setting.
is everything set to very high? do you have AA turned on? is so how much?
also, have you done any overclocking? voltage changes?
and this might be a little redundant but are you running windows 7 64-bit? are you running crysis in 64-bit? you can check by starting the game and then activating your task manager; in the processes look for Crysis, if it has a *32 by it then you're running in 32 bit and therefore getting half the performance.

for comparison i have a very similar rig.
cpu: AMD Phenom II x4 970 (overclocked to 3.9ghz, 1.45v)
ram: 6gb ddr3-1333
GPU: nvidia geforce gtx 560 Ti MSi Twin Frozr OC'd to 990mhz, 2300 mhz shader
PSU: 700 watt
motherboard: asus m4a88td-v (880chipset)
Windows 7 64-bit

and crysis runs fine for me, i get 35-45fps all settings maxed out (that is, everything is turned on Very High) at 1080p (no anti-aliasing, which causes a big performance hit)

i don't know THAT much about computers yet, as i just got into building computers, so don't take my word for anything yet. do some more research, there are tons of helpful forums. however it could be something with your motherboard or maybe because you haven't overclocked anything. who knows. give it a shot!

also, nvidia just release the new 270 beta driver specifically for the 580 and the 560 ti. try it!
April 1, 2011 3:16:49 PM

I mean very high, ultra settings is in WoW hahaha. I turned off AA, it had been on 8x, and figured out that I had been running the 64-bit version. Now on 1920x1080 I average around 25-30 on very high. Does that sound about right? I'm still looking into overclocking, since I only just got into this stuff.

Thanks!

Best solution

April 1, 2011 7:03:07 PM

those sites with do benchmarking results should really be used as a ballpark figure, because every rig is different. you have to remember that the graphcis card itself isn't what's pushing the fps, its the entire system. graphics benchmarks are useful for comparing graphics cards, not seeing whether your rig stands up to their benchmark. unless, of course, your rig is similar to their testbench (which usually isn't the case since they always have a rather hardcore one lol).

25-30 sounds good, if you overclock your stuff you should easily push 40, which for crysis is smooth (thanks to motion blur!).

in terms of overclocking you have a B.E. so you can overclock using the CPU multiplier (makes everything easier). it depends on your motherboard. In anycase, the 970's highest overclock (from what i've tested and seen on other forums) is 4.1ghz with a fairly high voltage 1.5 (the default voltage is... I think... 1.25 or something). 3.9-4.1 is stable with good cooling and a good PSU. read your motherboard manual on how to access the BIOS and overclock using the multiplier.

you could also overclock using the FSB and multiplier. for example:

fsb: 200x14=2800mhz
fsb: 220x13=2860mhz

put simply, the higher FSB will increase your bandwidth, as well as your RAM clock speeds. while it is a little more complicated than this, thats it in a nutshell.

note: raising the multiplier has no effect on PSU and tends to run cooler. Raising the FSB will make the NB/SB (motherboard chipset, the "nerves" of the computer), the CPU (brain) and ram (limbs) of the computer run hotter.

for the graphics card, get MSI afterburner or EVGA's precision, and begin to mess around with it. pick up MSi's Kombuster to benchmark your card as well as stress test for stability.

above all else, you MUST have a 600+ watt PSU and good cooling for the case and the CPU. Otherwise, be careful about overclocking.

some other things:
-MAX temp ceiling for the 970: 62 (after this it begins to perform extremely erratically and you may permanently damage the chip, try to keep it below 55)
-overclocked phenom II processors EAT watts when they're overclocked. expect a 200watt extra draw on your power supply (worst case scenario). for reference, a system in FULL LOAD with a 560ti averages to around 360-400 watts TOTAL power consumption.

hope that helps. again i'm not the most learned person on this stuff so its best to take a look at forums for really in depth stuff (its how i learned all this!), but for quick reference or maybe just to pique your interest you can look at what i posted. good luck!
April 1, 2011 7:05:33 PM

shrkbay said:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1103/pg8/palit-nv...

26 FPS minimum 1920x1080

http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-5...

you should get like 37 minimum 1920x1200. everything maxed out no AA.
btw, i was wondering if OCing a phenom II 955 will void warranty?

i'm more likely to believe the first link

if you have a B.E. (which I think the 955 is) then no, it will not void your warranty. in fact, that chip was made for easy overclocking. so get overclocking and look for that performance boost! just don't be overzealous and melt your chip by pushing it to 4.2ghz or something like that. most likely it'll catch it and shut down your computer before it melts, but stuff happens. haha good luck!
April 2, 2011 9:45:07 AM

^thx :p 
April 4, 2011 3:11:13 PM

Thanks guys, you've been a huge help!
April 11, 2011 3:39:56 AM

Best answer selected by mgirard.
!