Sony Vaio Boot password chip replacement

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2005 11:02:31 AM

Hi all,

Bought a Sony Vaio PCG-GR315MP off ebay as dead. I have it up and
running now after replacing the screen, however it appears to have a
Boot password.

This is NOT a Bios setting access password, its the password set to
allow the system to boot. The system also has a BIOS settings password
which is not circumvented by disconnecting the CMOS battery.

I have found out this password is stored on a SMT chip on the
motherboard, and have found a source of replacement chip on ebay - item
number 5204471701.

Has anyone done this chip replacement? did it remove the password
protection and allow the computer to function correctly? a collegue is
experience in soldering SMT devices so can do the replacement for me,
was just hoping to hear from someone who has done it.

Cheers.
October 28, 2007 10:06:30 PM

Unless you have the exact same information stored in the new bios chip, the laptop may not boot. Each time a laptop boots, this eeprom (chip) is accessed many, many times by the bios chip, looking for hardware information. If you can, try to google password for this laptop. There may be a way to circumvent it w/o using the resolder method.
!