P4 2.6 Running at half-speed

mkabru

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hello,
Actually I'd like to just CLOCK at the speed the processor is supposed to handle (but a bit faster would be nice, too).

I just installed a P4 2.6 into a friend's computer. The old processor had suffered a few broken pins and had to be replaced. The 2.6 processor was from another computer used for parts (but once operated just fine).

MY PROBLEM is that the 2.6 processor will only run at 1.3 or half-speed.

My theory is that his computer had overheated repeatedly and the BIOS dropped the cpu clock to avoid overheating. The reason he asked me to fix his computer is that it suddenly started running very slowly, which would have been a symptom of the cpu being down-clocked.

I've run diagnostics, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-other bad stuff, and even hardware diagnostics from Dell and Intel. No program reports anything wrong! I even tried updating the BIOS, but the updater from DELL/Intel wouldn't allow me because the computer is running "Windows NT" ( which I'm guessing is the "inside" name for every Windows OS through XP ).

So that's my story. My question is HOW can I force this little ah heck P4 2.6 TO ACT LIKE A P4 2.6? Can I do it with software? Should I pull it out and use it for target practice? ( PULL!! ........... ) Any advice anyone can offer will be most appreciated!!

Mike B. from Cincinnati.

*Email removed by Hunter

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'd remove your email address from a public forum, sir. :)

Download CPU-Z and Prime 95. Run them both, and see what CPU-Z is saying the clock speed is. Might be the chip is throttled to a 'basic' speed when idling, and ramps up to 2.6GHz under load, it's common.

4745454b

Titan
The speed step multiplier is 6x. If its just running in idle mode and that just happens to be half of what it should, then 12x should be the normal mulitplier. 200 * 12 = 2.4GHz. You said its a 2.6GHz so its not that.

I'm going to guess its an issue with the FSB. The 2.6GHz chip is probably an 800MHz FSB chip and the board you are using only supports 400 or 400/533. (not sure why its using 400 instead of 533.) If its supposed to use 800MHz and its really using 400MHz, that's your half speed. The question then becomes what p4 do you have EXACTLY and what board are you using?

mavroxur

Distinguished
It sounds like the new CPU isn't compatible with the board. If the board only supported a 400FSB, and your new chip is a 533FSB, the board will run the chip at a reduced speed. Or, if the board is too old to support the microcode of the newer processor (some early willamette compatible boards didn't like northwood processors). A BIOS update might fix this. If you could, please post the stepping of the processor and the exact model of the system / motherboard.

mavroxur

Distinguished

I can't even begin to understand what you're rambling about