Tags:
  • New Build
  • Video
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2011 7:42:27 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to get a nice video/DSLR as graduation present and I have nothing to edit with. I shot a lot of video for my major, so I'm planning on using this video and photo editting. It's not going to be an every day editting thing, but more than anything except for streaming movies and shows.

I want a beast of a computer that will last me for many years.

Approximate purchase date: between now and 30 days

Cost: Ideally lower is better, but spending 1200 is fine.

Primary Usage: editting, streaming tv shows/movies, surfing

Websites: newegg/amazon

Overclocking: leaning more towards yes

SLI/Crossfire: Don't think I need to (but open to suggestions)

Monitor Res: 1900x1200

Parts not required: mouse, keyboard, speakers

--------

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

(i'm open for debate as to whether I should just use the i5-2500k)

+

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

its in a bundle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

I know this card is an SLI/Xfire but for 10$ more than the asrock pro3, i figured why not. Feel free to add your opinion and tell me if its a bad choice, etc.

for GPU i'm torn between

MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 for 279.99

and the

MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 for 279.99 - 25 rebate.

The reasoning for the 2gb cards is I plan on using two monitors (eventually 23-24"). If you think that a 1gb is fine, again this is open for debate. I like the idea of OCing the cards, and there aren't enough reviews about the twin frozr ii, where as the other one has lots of people saying they flashed it to 6970.

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - 84.99

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 64.99

SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - 104.99

chose the SSD to take advantage of the z68, if you think there's another one that's good, that doesn't deteriorate as much as others, let me know.

Tower: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 54.99

DVD Burner: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98B 24.99

I don't really plan on using on writing dvds that often or writing blu-ray (as of now), so if you think of another option, i'd like to hear it.

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC compatible - 89.99

Will take any advice on a PSU, since I'm really not planning on using SLI/Xfire do I need 650W?

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm - 39.99

subtotal:
1163.91 (-25 [if i get the HD6950 instead of frozr ii] and -10)
= 1128.91

If you don't think I need the 2600k or the 2gb gfx card or other things, then I am open to suggestions about a monitor. I would like to have a resolution of 1900x1200, but it looks like ill have to spend 200+ per monitor.

I have a 20" westinghouse now, which will suit me until I can get two new monitors so monitors aren't that important to me (right now)

Thanks for the help!

More about : video photo editting build 1000 1200

June 9, 2011 8:18:16 PM

I don't trust cooling on power regulators on that gigabyte board.
Consider getting Asrock P67 Extreme4 instead of Z68 GA. Its best P67 board around at very good price. Only advantage of Z68 is SSD caching you wont use because of reasons bellow and unlocking integrated GPU with faster video encoding (you probably wont be encoding video too often and CPU still have better quality at cost of longer times for encoding).

Better use that SSD as pure system drive and Samsung for programs and your videos.
SSD caching is pure market hype for those that want use normal hdd and just small ssd for cache. 64GB is enough for whole OS and you will have better performance using it this way.

HD6950 is good gpu but if you plan on unlocking it to 6970 you need reference design card and modified 6950 bios on it (do not try to flash it 6970 one as it could kill card because of different voltage on components).
I would for sure get 2GB GPU if you want to use 2 monitors with it.

Corsair TX-650 is good PSU and more then sufficient, unless you want to CF later on, in that case i would rather get little stronger model.

i5-2500K is sufficient for you, you can save 100$ to get better MB and save for monitor you plan later.
June 9, 2011 8:49:52 PM

xrodney said:
I don't trust cooling on power regulators on that gigabyte board.
Consider getting Asrock P67 Extreme4 instead of Z68 GA. Its best P67 board around at very good price. Only advantage of Z68 is SSD caching you wont use because of reasons bellow and unlocking integrated GPU with faster video encoding (you probably wont be encoding video too often and CPU still have better quality at cost of longer times for encoding).

Better use that SSD as pure system drive and Samsung for programs and your videos.
SSD caching is pure market hype for those that want use normal hdd and just small ssd for cache. 64GB is enough for whole OS and you will have better performance using it this way.

HD6950 is good gpu but if you plan on unlocking it to 6970 you need reference design card and modified 6950 bios on it (do not try to flash it 6970 one as it could kill card because of different voltage on components).
I would for sure get 2GB GPU if you want to use 2 monitors with it.

Corsair TX-650 is good PSU and more then sufficient, unless you want to CF later on, in that case i would rather get little stronger model.

i5-2500K is sufficient for you, you can save 100$ to get better MB and save for monitor you plan later.

Thanks for the reply,

I don't necessarily need the 64GB SSD, I just saw that it was a pretty good deal for now, I would basically use it for CS5, Final Cut, and win 7. If i'm going that route, should I use the money saved on from the 2600k to get a bigger SSD?

What recommendations do you have on another PSU?

I see the p67 for $160 and it has stellar reviews, and i'l get the 2500k.

So you think I should skip the twin frozr ii?
Related resources
June 10, 2011 12:45:42 AM

There's also a bundle right now of the 2500k and the asus p8z68-v pro for 414.99 (and some stupid game..)

vs the Asrock + 2500k for 384.98.

Is it worth while to spend the 30 extra bucks on the asus?
June 10, 2011 6:10:33 AM

i'd recommend the ASUS with the stupid game vs. the asrock for several reasons, especially if you're overclocking - ASUS' UEFI provides very simple overclocking for those users that want to spend their time editing photos/video. The ASRock is reportedly faster but the ASUS board is easier to use AND the Z68 board is the one you want for photo/video editing so you can OC AND use the integrated graphics for video transcoding (faster and better quality), not to mention quicksync. Bear in mind you're asking for advice on an editing machine in a gaming forum. SSD Caching is not the only perk that Z68 boards have for your particular use.

Also, why don't you want to stick with NVidia graphics cards for photo and especially video editing? The photoshop software uses CUDA in the NVidia cards that you'll not be getting with the ATI cards.

Even though they are only marginally different, the i7-2600K is far superior to the i5-2500K for specifically video transcoding, although you probably wouldn't ever see a different in photo editing. If you are editing video professionally, then you should stick with the 2600K.

For SSD - any advice you get will be mostly opinion (granted it may be from experienced users). 120GB seems to be the sweet spot right now for your C: (OS + program installation) drive. You'll definitely want to have an additional HDD or three to sort out your scrap and media files. 60GB works but you'll be fighting space issues in the future. Look at the following post to investigate RAID for video editing: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/525263

For PSU the XFX 650W XXX Edition is what I personally invested in for my very similar CS5 photoshop build (will be buying that ASUS z68 + i5-2500K + stupid game combo deal). I'm not doing any major video editing so didn't feel the need to get the i7 but I will OC the i5. The XFX PSUs (Made by the reputable Seasonic) have had $30 rebates bringing them in the <$70 range but any Seasonic or Corsair PSU would also work.
June 10, 2011 6:26:42 AM

Also, the three hundred Illusion case is outdated - but that's a purely personal opinion. It's a good case but since I wouldn't let myself buy that case for such a similar build I thought I should suggest to you to look for something else ;0)

The Sentey Optimus cases look alright for the price, or the HAF 912. The Antec 902 V3 was my fantasy case. Ultimately I purchased the Lian Li K59 when it was on sale for $60 and I have NO regrets in this case. The new Knight series of cases from Lancool are amazing. The reviews on Newegg for the K59 are spot on.

Basically, find something at least with USB 3.0 and/or 2.5" SSD mounting brackets.
June 10, 2011 6:41:15 AM

BADGJ31 said:
The ASRock is reportedly faster but the ASUS board is easier to use AND the Z68 board is the one you want for photo/video editing so you can OC AND use the integrated graphics for video transcoding (faster and better quality), not to mention quicksync. Bear in mind you're asking for advice on an editing machine in a gaming forum. SSD Caching is not the only perk that Z68 boards have for your particular use.

He wont use SSD caching with SSD as system drive.
And about video transcoding, faster yes, but no way in better quality. Using dedicated tools and encoding on CPU will allways bring you better quality (if you know what you are doing).
June 10, 2011 6:45:16 AM

BADGJ31 said:
Also, the three hundred Illusion case is outdated - but that's a purely personal opinion. It's a good case but since I wouldn't let myself buy that case for such a similar build I thought I should suggest to you to look for something else ;0)

The Sentey Optimus cases look alright for the price, or the HAF 912. The Antec 902 V3 was my fantasy case. Ultimately I purchased the Lian Li K59 when it was on sale for $60 and I have NO regrets in this case. The new Knight series of cases from Lancool are amazing. The reviews on Newegg for the K59 are spot on.

Basically, find something at least with USB 3.0 and/or 2.5" SSD mounting brackets.

Thanks for taking the time to type up all of that and for the great advice!

I just saw that the case was decent but nothing spectacular, so i'll keep searching around for that. I was looking at the HAF 912, the 300 ill and another one. I'll look into the K59 and Lancool. I basically want a case that AMAZING airflow without tons of flashiness.

I def thought about getting an nvidia card, but was unsure about the 2g versions. Should i just try to get a 560 ti 2g or spring for the 570 if i end up getting the 2500k?

The main reason I was leaning more towards the 2600k is because I want this machine to last me at least 4 to 5 years. I don't "need" the hyper threading as I won't be editing professionally (even though I work at a place that does).

If I OC the 2500k to get it up to the standard for 2600k I won't be missing out too much will I? Will the HT help add to the longevity of my system?
June 10, 2011 6:47:33 AM

2500K and 2600K are about same speed and overclock similar too, if you don't plan using HT much go with cheaper one.
June 10, 2011 6:51:55 AM

xrodney said:
And about video transcoding, faster yes, but no way in better quality. Using dedicated tools and encoding on CPU will allways bring you better quality (if you know what you are doing).

The more I was reading up on this, and correct me if I'm wrong, I should have a large Sata iii SSD for OS+apps, a small ssd, and 1-3 large HDs for storage.

Rodney, I definitely have taken your advice to heart as I've spent part of the day just researching the differences between the p67 extreme4 and the asus p8z68-v pro. The asus is bundled with either the 2500k/2600k and the cost would be 25-30$ extra for the asus (aside from the obvious 100$ diff between CPUs).

Is there a better p67 that would be comparable to the z68 for the extra bump in price (or at least something for me to look at to bundle with the CPU).
June 10, 2011 1:02:55 PM

miek said:
The more I was reading up on this, and correct me if I'm wrong, I should have a large Sata iii SSD for OS+apps, a small ssd, and 1-3 large HDs for storage.

Rodney, I definitely have taken your advice to heart as I've spent part of the day just researching the differences between the p67 extreme4 and the asus p8z68-v pro. The asus is bundled with either the 2500k/2600k and the cost would be 25-30$ extra for the asus (aside from the obvious 100$ diff between CPUs).

Is there a better p67 that would be comparable to the z68 for the extra bump in price (or at least something for me to look at to bundle with the CPU).

I think best combination is to have SSD for OS and basic apps, fast hdd (like WD caviar black) and normal hdds for storage.

SSD caching is used mostly for caching small often used files and most of them se you will have already on primary SSD so in generaly you will see very little if any improvement with SSD caching.

What you mean with extra bump in price, more expensive board ? There is plenty of better, but more expensive boards, Asrock P67 Extreme 6 or Asus P8P67 WS Revolution etc.
June 10, 2011 2:56:11 PM

xrodney said:

Rodney, I'm confused by your statement. I agree that he wont need SSD Caching (kind of a gimmick anyways but would be superfluous if you have an SSD system drive) but Z68 (essentially a combination of P67 + H67 + SSD caching) will allow (overclocked) CPU usage for video transcoding, which has shown to be faster AND also, slightly better visual quality on side-by-side comparisons (I think this comparison was done on an H67 board vs. P67 right here on TH). In your statement you seem to contradict yourself in stating A) it wont bring you better quality and then B) encoding on CPU will always bring better quality (which would agree with what I've read). Here's a link supporting everything I've said about the ASUS Z68-V PRO: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4...
June 10, 2011 5:51:04 PM

BADGJ31 said:
Rodney, I'm confused by your statement. I agree that he wont need SSD Caching (kind of a gimmick anyways but would be superfluous if you have an SSD system drive) but Z68 (essentially a combination of P67 + H67 + SSD caching) will allow (overclocked) CPU usage for video transcoding, which has shown to be faster AND also, slightly better visual quality on side-by-side comparisons (I think this comparison was done on an H67 board vs. P67 right here on TH). In your statement you seem to contradict yourself in stating A) it wont bring you better quality and then B) encoding on CPU will always bring better quality (which would agree with what I've read). Here's a link supporting everything I've said about the ASUS Z68-V PRO: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4...

Tere is good review on Toms, about video transcoding, its good to read it whole, but important summary :

Quote:
Of all the output settings, the full software transcode pathway is consistently the best. We don't have any tracking errors, save for Badaboom's early build. The detail is consistently good, no matter how many times we transcode the file, and you can almost always tell (fixed missing word in review) which file was transcoded on the CPU, comparing output files from each program to each other.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/video-transcoding-a...

There are long time attempts to transcode video using GPU - CUDA or AMD openCL (or how ever its called.) and problem with it is that output video is not perfect, its allways have some variations in quality when compared to pure software CPU based encoding.
So yes it is considerably faster and ok for quick transcoding to watch it in mobile devices, but if you want to get best quality or watch it on on big screen in HD resolutions you better stick on CPU encoding instead of QuickSync.
June 10, 2011 6:13:16 PM
June 10, 2011 6:27:37 PM

I'll start looking for nvidia cards, but I don't need two cards per se. I'd like to run two monitors which is why I went for the 2gb cards. Any suggestions on good 2gb cards, as i'd be willing to probably spend a little more money on it, but ideally <300$

Or if you guys think (since I won't b gaming) I should just get 2 mid range cards to do the job of that, but again i'd like to spend no more than 300 for the 2 of them since I won't be gaming.
June 10, 2011 6:36:00 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I wouldn't be using an ATI card on a video editing box ..... no CUDA
http://www.elitebastards.com/index.php?option=com_conte...
http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The PSU is undersized for twin GFX cards
$100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd get the Scythe Mugen 2 which outperforms the Hyper 212 by 7C
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Save on the RAM, these have same specs
$68 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OP never mentioned SLI/CF so PSU is fine

Also memory you linked are not even close same spec 1600 vs 1333
June 10, 2011 6:54:29 PM

GTX 560ti (1GB) or HD6950 (2GB) are both around 250$ and will easily handle multiple displays. If you sure you wont play games at all you can go even for cheaper card and save some $$.
June 10, 2011 7:29:33 PM

xrodney said:
Tere is good review on Toms, about video transcoding, its good to read it whole, but important summary :

Quote:
Of all the output settings, the full software transcode pathway is consistently the best. We don't have any tracking errors, save for Badaboom's early build. The detail is consistently good, no matter how many times we transcode the file, and you can almost always tell (fixed missing word in review) which file was transcoded on the CPU, comparing output files from each program to each other.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/video-transcoding-a...

There are long time attempts to transcode video using GPU - CUDA or AMD openCL (or how ever its called.) and problem with it is that output video is not perfect, its allways have some variations in quality when compared to pure software CPU based encoding.
So yes it is considerably faster and ok for quick transcoding to watch it in mobile devices, but if you want to get best quality or watch it on on big screen in HD resolutions you better stick on CPU encoding instead of QuickSync.

So we agree then that CPU encoding on the Z68 platform would be better than getting a P67 Mobo?
June 10, 2011 9:06:20 PM

BADGJ31 said:
So we agree then that CPU encoding on the Z68 platform would be better than getting a P67 Mobo?

You have it little confused.
CPU encoding mean without using GPU encoding aka Quiksync that Z68 allows :) 
June 11, 2011 5:24:27 AM

xrodney said:
You have it little confused.
CPU encoding mean without using GPU encoding aka Quiksync that Z68 allows :) 

Do you then recommend me buying the 2600k and just getting the p67? Unless you feel that both of them retain their longevity for the system. I keep leaning towards wanting the hyper threading since I constantly have movies/shows and editing programs running on my laptop.

I know i'm beating a dead horse, but this is what these threads are for, right?

Now i'm looking for a case, any suggestions? I like the 912, but I want to have usb 3.0 integrated into the front of the case. Will that shoot up my price of the case to the >100$ range?

/edit:

I'm now deciding between the COOLER MASTER HAF 922 for 89.99
I like this because it has some super solid airflow, with the 200mm fans, and especially the LED on/off switch for the front (as I don't really want lots of fancy lights). But it's kind of bulky.

or

Rosewill FUTURE Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer for 79.99*

But there's a combo with this tower and a the i5-2500k for 269.99. I like this one because it has a lot of fans for good cooling (albeit most of the reviews comment on how loud it is). And it has usb 3.0 in the front, but it's a newer case so there hasn't been much talk about it. I also like how all of the fans are 120mm and supports up to 7, and I'm not terribly worried about the noise or light. But people are saying its not terribly big and that it could cause issues.

I have no idea what to choose between these two. I probably won't buy this set up until July, so I don't know if the bundle will still be around.

What do you guys think, go with the tried and true case or take a gamble on the newer one that's built for the "future."
June 12, 2011 10:17:19 PM

So it turns out that I no longer need a CPU as a great friend bought me an i7-2600k. Does change the mobo choice?

Also what do you guys think of the two cases and the card I posted above?
June 13, 2011 3:58:53 AM

I vote Lian Li PC-K59 case and the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO mobo. That is what I've decided on after doing very similar research as yourself - especially for "future-proofing". K59 is just way too well-built to be considered inferior to the older HAF 922 with LED lights. Compare pics/specs/reviews on newegg.

Similarly, I could not justify the GTX 570 for your needs. I'd stick with GTX 560 (or GTX 560 Ti).
June 13, 2011 6:48:37 AM

BADGJ31 said:
I vote Lian Li PC-K59 case and the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO mobo. That is what I've decided on after doing very similar research as yourself - especially for "future-proofing". K59 is just way too well-built to be considered inferior to the older HAF 922 with LED lights. Compare pics/specs/reviews on newegg.

Similarly, I could not justify the GTX 570 for your needs. I'd stick with GTX 560 (or GTX 560 Ti).

I like the k59, and especially the lack of LEDs in the fans, but I was leaning more towards the rosewill future, more than the 922, since it just came out. The only gripe so far is the loud fans.

I am planning to use this tower for 4-5 years at least, and my thought process is: spend 75 extra bucks now on a better GPU, instead of $300+ later if I need to upgrade. Feel free to tell me this thought process is completely wrong, and that the 560ti is perfectly fine.

I am just worried about my system bottlenecking in GPU because of the i7.

And if I were going to invest in a 300$ card, should I be looking at ATI? I know i'll benefit more from CUDA, but I want this thing to be a beast for a long time.
June 13, 2011 9:01:04 AM

Well its up to you if you really need CUDA.
GTX 570 is comparable with performance of HD6970.
HD6970 offer output to 3 displays, lower power used, 2GB ram, output to 3 displays, OpenCL.
But both are good graphics cards for SB platform.
June 14, 2011 12:35:48 AM

xrodney said:
Well its up to you if you really need CUDA.
GTX 570 is comparable with performance of HD6970.
HD6970 offer output to 3 displays, lower power used, 2GB ram, output to 3 displays, OpenCL.
But both are good graphics cards for SB platform.

Thank you for all of your responses, I guess I am just worried about the 560ti still being relevant in a few years(which is probabyl unreasonable of everything except super high end), or at least maintaining as long as a life as the 570/6970.

Is there any reason to expect editing programs in a few years to require more than the power of the 560ti or is the investment of the extra $ worthwhile in those cards. I am trying to upgrade this computer as little as possible, while still having it available to be upgradable if I decide otherwise.
June 14, 2011 12:54:16 AM

I'm not even getting a GPU for my photo editing build - just using P8Z68-V and the integrated i5-2500K HD3000. Will update with a GTX 460 later as an upgrade. You don't need more unless you're gaming on more than low settings. As xrodney has enlightened us, CPU editing is where the money is at for quality, Z68 editing will be faster.

With the information you now have, just relax and get what you can afford. Think about it like this - any of the builds you've discussed are a year (or more) ahead of the current top end dell or hp systems. You'll never be able to 100% future-proof your system, but you can waste the time that you could be enjoying your new system.
June 14, 2011 1:02:24 AM

BADGJ31 said:
I'm not even getting a GPU for my photo editing build - just using P8Z68-V and the integrated i5-2500K HD3000. Will update with a GTX 460 later as an upgrade. You don't need more unless you're gaming on more than low settings. As xrodney has enlightened us, CPU editing is where the money is at for quality, Z68 editing will be faster.

With the information you now have, just relax and get what you can afford. Think about it like this - any of the builds you've discussed are a year (or more) ahead of the current top end dell or hp systems. You'll never be able to 100% future-proof your system, but you can waste the time that you could be enjoying your new system.

That is some really sound advice, brother. You're right, it is impossible to build a 100% future proof system. I won't be gaming, but I still want movies/tv shows to still look nice :) 

I was thinking about ditching the SSD and spending the money to buy a monitor, while waiting for the SSDs to drop in price so I can buy a 120gb. Everything I am reading about with the SSD, is I need to spend ~250+ to make it really worth it.
!