Linksys Wireless problem

dlbarrette

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I have a Linksys N router hooked up to my modem and main computer. When the main computer gets shut off, I lose the wirless connection to my laptop. why? I installed it exactly the way I was supposed to.

Solution

In Xp, go to Control Panekl and Network Setup Wizard. After about the third Next click, you should see an option to tick for "This computer connects through a residential gateway" and that's what you need to tick so one box doesn't share the other's connection. While you're running the wizard, you may as well tick to share files and printers in case you want to later and at the final page, tick "Don't create a CD - I'll run the wizard ln the other computers." Restart each machine after running that wizard and you should be sorted out.

Sounds like the laptop is set to share the other's connection to the Internet. Which Operating System is it running? The procedure for changing the settings is different in each one. [/#000ff]

In Xp, go to Control Panekl and Network Setup Wizard. After about the third Next click, you should see an option to tick for "This computer connects through a residential gateway" and that's what you need to tick so one box doesn't share the other's connection. While you're running the wizard, you may as well tick to share files and printers in case you want to later and at the final page, tick "Don't create a CD - I'll run the wizard ln the other computers." Restart each machine after running that wizard and you should be sorted out.

Solution