Use Wireless Laptop as wired PC hotspot?

katiklysm

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hey folks,

I am in a bit of a predicament (ok, not really a huge deal lol)- in that I am on time off at my gf's apartment and brought my PC with me to pass some time playing games. However, my gf does not have the building wireless in her apartment, so I cannot wire my PC in to the router for internet.

I actually expect to need internet to play on Steam- but apparently my saved offline credentials were lost so I need to get on to verify them...

Since I can access the Wireless Network with my laptop- is there any way I can wire my PC (which has no wireless card) into my laptop to use the laptop as some kind of janky wireless card? =)

Any thoughts from the community? Would really improve the outlook for my next 3 days if I could get some gaming on over vaca. =)

katiklysm

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Both PC and Laptop are Vista x86. I have not gotten around to the times and getting off of this godforsaken platform yet =)

(And, could you provide some high level or details steps to pursue this? I am not as familiar with PC/Wifi networking as I am with Server/LoadBalance Networking)

katiklysm

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Just an ethernet cable- (not familiar with term crossover cable), is this a different type of connector than the standard CAT5 cable, I assume?

I have been playing with settings while having a CAT5 cable connecting PC to Laptop- with Laptop set to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) Settings, but have not been able to get internet on the PC yet. Sounds like I may be hardware limited in not having the proper bridge?

A crossover cable looks the same then a regular network cable.
However, the orange pair of wires, usually connected to PIN 1+2, are connected to PIN 3+6 at one of the connectors.
The green pair of wires, usually connected to PIN 3+6, are connected to PIN 1+2 at one of the connectors.

And yes you will need to use ICS and it should work if used with a crossover cable.