DS internet play?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

I have heard that since you can play wirelessly with others, it should be
able to work over the net. How would this be achieved? It would be great
to hook your DS to your computer and be able to play games with your friend
far away.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com
5 answers Last reply
More about internet play
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Ollie T wrote:
    > I have heard that since you can play wirelessly with others, it should be
    > able to work over the net. How would this be achieved? It would be great
    > to hook your DS to your computer and be able to play games with your friend
    > far away.
    >
    > HDTV games lists and discussions
    > http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    According to Nintendo, the DS will be an online console.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Vitani wrote:

    > Ollie T wrote:
    >
    >> I have heard that since you can play wirelessly with others, it should
    >> be able to work over the net. How would this be achieved? It would
    >> be great to hook your DS to your computer and be able to play games
    >> with your friend far away.
    >>
    >> HDTV games lists and discussions
    >> http://www.hdtvarcade.com
    >>

    > According to Nintendo, the DS will be an online console.

    That doesn't exactly answer the question. I'm assuming he's trying to
    figure out how ("How would this be achieved?").

    Wireless, so we're talking either 802.11g or bluetooth; most likely
    802.11, but I haven't heard specifics. Maybe it has some modest
    TCP/IP support and a DHCP client to allow you to just seamlessly use
    it at your home wireless network setup. That'd be sweet.

    Every day that Nintendo leaks some new feature for the DS I just
    cannot believe they packed it all in there with such a low price
    point. I don't see how you *can't* buy one. Late November is too far
    away!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Michael J. Sherman wrote:

    > Vitani wrote:
    >
    >> Ollie T wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have heard that since you can play wirelessly with others, it
    >>> should be able to work over the net. How would this be achieved? It
    >>> would be great to hook your DS to your computer and be able to play
    >>> games with your friend far away.
    >>>
    >>> HDTV games lists and discussions
    >>> http://www.hdtvarcade.com
    >>>

    >> According to Nintendo, the DS will be an online console.
    >

    > That doesn't exactly answer the question. I'm assuming he's trying to
    > figure out how ("How would this be achieved?").
    >
    > Wireless, so we're talking either 802.11g or bluetooth; most likely
    > 802.11, but I haven't heard specifics. Maybe it has some modest TCP/IP
    > support and a DHCP client to allow you to just seamlessly use it at your
    > home wireless network setup. That'd be sweet.
    >
    > Every day that Nintendo leaks some new feature for the DS I just cannot
    > believe they packed it all in there with such a low price point. I
    > don't see how you *can't* buy one. Late November is too far away!

    Sorry, perhaps I should elaborate a little more.

    From what I know/head read/been told the DS will be able to download
    "stuff" from any network it is connected to (bare in mind the internet
    is just a big network). Stuff could be game demos, game add-ons, or
    whatever.

    Additionally Nintendo are working with warppipe.com to make the DS fully
    capable of playing games online.

    The technology Nintendo are using for doing this is 802.11, which will
    allow DS's to link together Ad-Hoc (ie DS-to-DS), and also to wireless
    network points to connect to networks.

    How this is done is anyone's guess, but most likely you will be able to
    "scan" for local DS's to play with, or connect to (say) a specific IP
    address to play/pictochat with
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    --
    ciao edy
    "Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > I have heard that since you can play wirelessly with others, it should be
    > able to work over the net. How would this be achieved? It would be great
    > to hook your DS to your computer and be able to play games with your
    friend
    > far away.
    >
    > HDTV games lists and discussions
    > http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ds is the first console that it go on the net
    Sorry but i'm not english!

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 01:36:36 GMT, "Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I have heard that since you can play wirelessly with others, it should be
    >able to work over the net. How would this be achieved? It would be great
    >to hook your DS to your computer and be able to play games with your friend
    >far away.
    >
    >HDTV games lists and discussions
    >http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    This might be one way the DS would be online. Check the second story
    down...

    http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/index.php?go=home

    Adam M

Console Gaming Games Video Nintendo Video Games