Sign in with
Your question

Two stick of RAM being read as single channel

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2011 3:01:57 AM

Hi I have 2 sticks of G Skill Ripjaws X 1866 RAM installed on the ASrock z68 Extreme4 with a i5-2500k. Even though the two sticks are being read as 8gb which is correct, when I go into BIOS it says it is running in single channel. I am under the impression that if I have two sticks it should be dual channel.

Also when I put in a RAM stick into slots 1 or 2 I get the Dr. Debug code 45. When I put a stick into 3 or 4 it boots up fine. If I put both sticks into 3 and 4 it boots up and the RAM is recognized. WIll this cause problems as the two slots are different colors. Also does this mean that my slots 1 and 2 are broken? If I put RAM into slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 I get the same error code. Will this mean that if I try to put in two more sticks for a total of 4 sticks of RAM it will not work?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2011 3:04:00 AM

did you bother to read the motherboard manual?

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2011 3:24:12 AM

Outlander_04 said:
did you bother to read the motherboard manual?

If he read the manual, he wouldn't be putting the ram in the wrong slots.

Put the ram in slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4. Being in the same color will enable dual channel for that mobo. Load up the xmp might stop the error code.
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2011 4:48:20 AM

k1114 said:

Put the ram in slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4. Being in the same color will enable dual channel for that mobo. Load up the xmp might stop the error code.

I know

If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day , if you teach a man to fish you feed him for life
m
l
June 10, 2011 5:03:42 AM

:non:  Where art thou, common sense?

But yeah...reading the manual before hand does really help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2011 5:48:46 AM

Maybe a better reply would have been "Check your manual, it states which slots to put the ram in." No offense.
m
l
June 10, 2011 6:20:42 AM

k1114 said:
Maybe a better reply would have been "Check your manual, it states which slots to put the ram in." No offense.

No offense taken .

But Im happy with my original wording

If you can deduce thats the intent of my message so can he ... or hes too stupid to build a computer
m
l
June 10, 2011 10:16:53 AM

The manual does not specify which slots to place the RAM in, only that if I want two install two sticks of RAm they should be in the same colored slots. My problem is that it only works when I put the RAM into slots 3 and 4, which are different colors.
m
l
June 10, 2011 10:26:19 AM

k1114 said:

What exactly is the xmp and how would I go about loading it?
m
l
June 10, 2011 12:23:46 PM

It stands for eXtreme Memory Profile. Have you OC'd the CPU?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2011 5:28:50 PM

In the bios go to the OC section. In there will be a ram config. And somewhere in there will probably say load profile, select the xmp option. Have you changed any bios options?
m
l
June 10, 2011 8:51:22 PM

k1114 said:
In the bios go to the OC section. In there will be a ram config. And somewhere in there will probably say load profile, select the xmp option. Have you changed any bios options?

No I got the error code on my first boot before changing any bios settings.
m
l
!