Two stick of RAM being read as single channel

mrjellybean

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi I have 2 sticks of G Skill Ripjaws X 1866 RAM installed on the ASrock z68 Extreme4 with a i5-2500k. Even though the two sticks are being read as 8gb which is correct, when I go into BIOS it says it is running in single channel. I am under the impression that if I have two sticks it should be dual channel.

Also when I put in a RAM stick into slots 1 or 2 I get the Dr. Debug code 45. When I put a stick into 3 or 4 it boots up fine. If I put both sticks into 3 and 4 it boots up and the RAM is recognized. WIll this cause problems as the two slots are different colors. Also does this mean that my slots 1 and 2 are broken? If I put RAM into slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 I get the same error code. Will this mean that if I try to put in two more sticks for a total of 4 sticks of RAM it will not work?

If he read the manual, he wouldn't be putting the ram in the wrong slots.

Put the ram in slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4. Being in the same color will enable dual channel for that mobo. Load up the xmp might stop the error code.

I know

If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day , if you teach a man to fish you feed him for life

No offense taken .

But Im happy with my original wording

If you can deduce thats the intent of my message so can he ... or hes too stupid to build a computer

mrjellybean

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
The manual does not specify which slots to place the RAM in, only that if I want two install two sticks of RAm they should be in the same colored slots. My problem is that it only works when I put the RAM into slots 3 and 4, which are different colors.

mrjellybean

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

What exactly is the xmp and how would I go about loading it?

mrjellybean

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

No I got the error code on my first boot before changing any bios settings.