Graphic card details

Pdubs

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I am looking to upgrade my video card to the $200-$300 price range but I am still a little confused about the importance of certain details before making my choice. For the purposes of this question, lets compare the MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 and the EVGA GeForce GTX 470.

The 470 has a lower core, shader, and memory clock speed but a higher memory size and interface and has more stream processors than the 560. Which specification has more weight when it comes to performance and/or price?

Additionally, does the cooling system have much effect on the card's performance, considering the 560 has a far superior cooling system than the 470?

-Pdubs

Solution
You shouldn't really place any wieght on shader clock speed or memory interface bandwidth or any of that stuff individually, they all work together and benchmarks are the only way truly judge cards that are not based on the same archetecture. Memory size can be important as you increase resolution and AA sampling, but again, just look for benchmarks at your resolution.

Cooling is important if you plan to overclock the card, if you don't not so much, because cooling is almost always going to be adequate for stock speeds.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
You shouldn't really place any wieght on shader clock speed or memory interface bandwidth or any of that stuff individually, they all work together and benchmarks are the only way truly judge cards that are not based on the same archetecture. Memory size can be important as you increase resolution and AA sampling, but again, just look for benchmarks at your resolution.

Cooling is important if you plan to overclock the card, if you don't not so much, because cooling is almost always going to be adequate for stock speeds.

Solution