Sign in with
Your question

Need help deciding between computer buying or building pleas

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2011 3:57:44 AM

Hello computer Gurus
I am trying to get a new pc for my business but I am not sure if I should buy one or built one, I saw a business pc on Costco website The company is called ZT systems and the specs of the pc are: Intel® Core™ i5-2310 Processor (2.90GHz) Intel® H61 Express Chipset 8GB DDR3 Memory Drives: 2 TB SATA II Hard Drive, 22x DVD±RW Drive , Front Panel 19-in-1 digital multimedia card reader Graphics: Integrated Intel® HD Graphics communications:10/100/1000 Mb/s LAN Audio: Up to 8 -channel Audio with jack sensing HD Audio Realtek ALC892 Keyboard & Mouse: Wireless Keyboard Wireless Mouse Expandability (total bays/slots): 2 x 5.25" external (1 occupied) 1 x 3.5" external (1 occupied) 4 x 3.5" internal (1 occupied) 1 x PCIe x16 3 x PCIe x1 Ports: 1 x DVI port , 1 x HDMI port , 1 x VGA port 1 x PS/2 mouse or keyboard port 1 x LAN jack, 6 x USB 2.0 ports (2x Front, 4x Rear) , 3 x flexible audio jacks Operating System: Genuine Microsoft Windows® 7 Professional, 64-bit Additional Information: Power supply: 350W Lifetime, 24/7 toll-free phone support 2-year Limited Parts & Labor Warranty Email and fax support M-F from 9am-6pm EST [Model 872Mi] I am also adding this Video Card HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ 1 GB (128bit) DDR3 HDMI Dual DL-DVI (HDCP) PCI Express 2.0 X16 Video Card Retail (RoHS) H467QR1GH by HIS as well as additional DVD/CDrw.
June 10, 2011 4:55:08 AM

Its impossible to tell whether its good value or not unless you tell us how much they want to charge

and what you intend to use it for
m
l
June 10, 2011 5:05:55 AM
Related resources
June 10, 2011 5:18:15 AM

Here is the breakdown. One is not better than the other. Buying a PC build you WILL get an inferior quality motherboard and power supply unless it's a designer computer like alienware. Any name brand retail computer sacrifices quality and cutting edge components to keep prices low. Buying a mid-range desktop is always cheaper than building if you shop around and if anything breaks you have warranty help.

If you build, you are on your own. Paying a bit extra from local retailers can be useful as opposed to buying online because you may have to swap out a motherboard or hard drive. Building is much easier if you have extra parts at your place or a friends that you can swap with for troubleshooting. Building yourself will cost more with equal components to a retail PC, but you will have much better quality components. I prefer building because despite the extra cost and work, I know my computer inside and out. I have a super power supply and can add hard drives until the cows come home without worrying about a Michael Bay type explosion in my living room. It's all a matter of preference.
m
l
June 10, 2011 5:30:51 AM

I'd disagree on some points. Building yourself is most likely always cheaper such as the build I posted. Each part has its own warranty but if anything comes in doa (which happens if your very unlucky) then you only have to deal with newegg which has great customer service. Alienware is still cheap components, speaking of dell in general, it's still decent as other prebuilts. Other than buying from a local store which will probably cost more with a poorer selection, it'll take the same amount of time to get replacement parts. Also you're not alone for tech support, you're not alone now even before you purchase anything.
m
l
June 10, 2011 6:23:08 AM

Building your own is quite often more expensive , but if you do build it you can usually also fix what goes wrong , and make updates as needed .

For an email and business data storage pc most people will be better off buying a Dell or similar
m
l
June 10, 2011 4:36:53 PM

AT $850 and above, building yaself is a given. Less than that it's a tossup. If ya not knowledgeable tho, it's not worth your T&E (time and effort). A custom shop will let ya modify their basic parts list.
m
l
June 10, 2011 4:58:10 PM

"Building yourself will cost more with equal components to a retail PC, but you will have much better quality components."

logic fail.
m
l
June 10, 2011 9:45:54 PM

Outlander_04 said:
Its impossible to tell whether its good value or not unless you tell us how much they want to charge

and what you intend to use it for

Thank you for your help
The pc is priced at 699.99 postage included, as for the use I am going to use allot of data on it as well as allot of still photos and internet sale (EBAY) and occasionally I go to Utube for some research!
thanks Again
Jon
m
l
!