Monitor contrast effects on eyes

pratyaksa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I'm having eye problem now.
I had an eye test last week and the doctress (female doctor) said that I had high eye pressure. She said it's because I faced computer monitor too long. Now I have to drink medicines given by the doc and go for another eye check. I hope this would be the last.
Actually, my eyes started feeling unwell when I played a PSP game for 2 weeks (Gods Eater rocks!) a month ago. I wonder what's wrong : my monitor or the PSP?

Btw, my monitor is 18.5-inch LED Philips with 20,000,000:1 contrast ratio. Is it too much for me? Should I change my monitor for a smaller one, like 17-inch with 1M:1 contrast ratio?

Please help!
And sorry for my bad English.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I've heard that monitors can cause very bad headaches and issues with the eyes. Reducing the monitor's contrast or brightness will help, significantly. Try not to use a bright monitor in the dark, this will exacerbate your condition.

Also, if you have preset modes on a monitor, for example, Gaming mode, Theater mode, Night View mode, I would suggest using something soothing to your eyes (for me it's gaming mode. Any other mode is just way too out there).

If you find yourself doing habitual things without noticing, like squinting or noticing the brightness is too high or even slight irritation beginning only with the usage of CPU monitors -- then you may be at a point where the damage has already been done, but preventative measures now can either reverse, or considerably slow the progress of the eye pressure.

Hope this helps.

pratyaksa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Yes, now I'm reducing the contrast/brightness. But doing it reduces gaming experience, i.e vision, significantly. I'm using gaming mode, too.
The effect is not headache. It is like my eyes get burnt. My eyes feel hot. Is it because the contrast rate is too high? Should I change my monitor? Perhaps 18.5" is too big?