Wireless Internet using Linksys router

kristivinia

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello,
I have a notebook that I am trying to connect to the internet using a Linksys router, when i look at the network connections it says connected and has full bars but internet explorer says there is a connection problem? All new to this.. please help.

kristivinia

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
No i have not. I have been going through different senarios from the forums of different web sites... I really don't know what I am doing. Before I always got the mess that I have limited or no connectivity... and trying different things it now says connected, but when I bring up Explorer.. nothing.

G

The reason I ask about security is that this should be left turned off until you have a reliable connection.

Okay -- there should be a quick start leaflet which came with your router. Run through that afresh. In particular take a look around the router's user setup screens for a wireless setting with a name like Access List and disable that.

Also look at wireless mode and match that to your computer(s) -- mixed mode may be a safe bet.

You might also look at this setting in Windows:

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

G

Are you on DSL or Cable -- the reason I ask:

On Cable you need to restart the Cable modem and the router together so that they handshake.

On DSL you need to make sure that the WAN side of the router is connecting to your ISP -- it should say in the setup screens -- but if in doubt contact your ISP and get them to walk you through WAN setup -- and LAN (the bit that talks to your computer) if possible.