Want some information on slots on motherboards

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • GPUs
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
May 24, 2012 10:52:44 PM

right im just gonna get to the point gonna be going intel decided with i5 ivy bridge and motherboards wise wanted to know what would be a good board to use id prefer it to be £150 or bellow and also with the gpu slots i noticed that some boards say 3.0 x16 and guess its just the next step up for getting the most out of your gpu so how much would it cost for at least 2 slots with 3.0 x16?

More about : information slots motherboards

a c 283 V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 11:19:05 PM

Every Z77 motherboard will have a x16 graphics slot. PCIE 2.0 or 3.0 really does not matter since current cards can hardly push the limits of pcie2.0.

Some more expensive boards will have two or more X16 slots to enable cf/sli. They will operate at X8/X8. It really does not matter, since no current graphics card has a problem with X8. Any difference in performance takes a synthetic benchmark to detect.

I suggest you buy the single graphics card you need today. If you ever want to upgrade in the future, just sell it, and replace it with the next gen card which will be faster and cheaper.

If you go with the great single graphics card approach, you can look at M-ATX with 4 expansion slots(or even ITX with one) motherboards which are smaller and cheaper.
a c 491 V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 11:35:51 PM

there are two pci video slots now. the older slots on the x68 chipset that are the old rev 2.0/2.01. Then there the newer pci bridge chips that just came out the rev 3.0 on the intel 7x chipset. at this time the older 2.0 video cards or the newer 3.0 cards cant max out the bandwith of eather type of pci slot. to get true 3.0 speed you need a video card made for pci 3.0 spec...ie one of the newer ati or nvida cards. and a intel 7x chipset and a intel ivy bridge cpu. depending on the mother board vendor and how they wire up there video slots will tell you if with one card you get 16x speed. with two cards you get 8x and 8x. (two slot sharing max bandwith) or 8/4/4 if you tried running three cards on some boards. the x68 and z77 boards are made for over clockers but also will have the most features. (the x68 will run ib with a bios update). the h77 and b77 chipset are for people that not going to over clock and are looking at price and features.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
is a nice board for the money if your going to go with a one card set up.
Related resources
May 24, 2012 11:40:00 PM

if you want to crossfire/sli, make sure your board has either 2 x8 slots, one x16 and 1 x8, but dont get x16 and x4, the 4 does actually lower the performance of the second video card.
May 24, 2012 11:48:34 PM

both of you have given me good ideas :)  thanks for the help i plan on getting one with dual pcie and have seen one i mean at the moment i have formula iv for amd and it was a waste of money cos it has 4 slots 1x 8 1x4 and decided now im going with intel ill look into it before i just look at something and just throw my cash at it.

but anyway ive seen a couple of boards one of them is the Asus Z77 Maximus V Gene Intel Z77 which looks brilliant and also does xfire at 3.0 and also i do plan on getting one of the newer cards like before i sent back the 7970 but they just refunded it which i wasnt happy about at all cos the card was brilliant except from the squeal it made lol. also might as well ask you both this question seeings you know your stuff on the boards what processor shall i go for? the i5 3570k or the i7 5770?
a c 283 V Motherboard
May 25, 2012 12:10:30 AM

disaster101 said:
both of you have given me good ideas :)  thanks for the help i plan on getting one with dual pcie and have seen one i mean at the moment i have formula iv for amd and it was a waste of money cos it has 4 slots 1x 8 1x4 and decided now im going with intel ill look into it before i just look at something and just throw my cash at it.

but anyway ive seen a couple of boards one of them is the Asus Z77 Maximus V Gene Intel Z77 which looks brilliant and also does xfire at 3.0 and also i do plan on getting one of the newer cards like before i sent back the 7970 but they just refunded it which i wasnt happy about at all cos the card was brilliant except from the squeal it made lol. also might as well ask you both this question seeings you know your stuff on the boards what processor shall i go for? the i5 3570k or the i7 5770?

For gaming, get the 3750K.
If you are near a microcenter, you can pick one up for $190.
May 25, 2012 12:18:38 AM

unfortunately i dont cos i live in the uk dont think they have them here or no t that i know of at least and ok well ill be getting that one then ::)  thanks for the help been more help than i thought actually XD
May 25, 2012 2:07:06 PM

get the i5, the i7 wont offer very much gaming performance boost compared to the i5, good for bragging and it is a great cpu but it isnt nessisary. 100$ extra for 10% boost maybe, i just dont think it is worth it in your particular situation.
!