Cheap camera for Ebay auctions?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 4, 2005 2:58:13 AM

I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
looking for recommendations.
Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury. The only
other thing to note is that my apartment is too brightly lit, so
lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the trick,
then perhaps a web cam?
March 4, 2005 2:58:14 AM

Darius wrote:
> I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
> auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
> looking for recommendations.
> Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
> high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
> the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury.

Since you're an eBay fan, just look for a secondhand 1 megapixel
camera. I was lucky in hitting a slack sales time a while back and got
a DC215 for less than a cheap webcam.

> The only
> other thing to note is that my apartment is too brightly lit, so
> lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
> If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the
trick,
> then perhaps a web cam?

Webcams (at least the one I have) don't seem to be designed for adverse
lighting conditions and are often less than 1MP.

Chris
March 4, 2005 2:58:14 AM

Darius wrote:

> I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
> auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
> looking for recommendations.

I used a nikon 2100 for many years for this, you can find these used on ebay
with nhm batteries, chargers and card readers for under $100.

--

Stacey
March 4, 2005 2:58:14 AM

You only need 640x480 images for the Net and eBay. I had a Sony Mavica 1.2
megapixel camera that worked just fine for eBay. Also, the macro and white
balance were superb. Look for a used one on eBay, or the price has come
down on these cameras quite a bit but they still make them. I've seen them
for under $100 at auction.

"Darius" <wmn@worknman.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
> auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
> looking for recommendations.
> Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
> high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
> the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury. The only
> other thing to note is that my apartment is too brightly lit, so
> lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
> If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the trick,
> then perhaps a web cam?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:52:16 AM

<chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk> wrote in message

> Darius wrote:
>> I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
>> auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
>> looking for recommendations.
>> Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
>> high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
>> the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury.
>
> Since you're an eBay fan, just look for a secondhand 1 megapixel
> camera. I was lucky in hitting a slack sales time a while back and got
> a DC215 for less than a cheap webcam.

And try to get one that has a macro focus facility.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:48:07 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:58:13 GMT, Darius <wmn@worknman.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
>auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
>looking for recommendations.
>Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
>high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
>the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury. The only
>other thing to note is that my apartment is too brightly lit, so
>lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
>If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the trick,
>then perhaps a web cam?

I also sell things on ebay and have used a few different cameras.

So, it depens a lot on what kind of items you are seling. If they are
flat like magazines, or artwork an "on-camera" flash is a terrible way
to go because of the reflection you get. If they are very small (like
coins) you will need a close-up (macro) capability. If they are
reasonably sized, like a VCR any small 2 megapixle camera will do very
well.

Wanna tell us what objects you are photographing and there are a lot
of people here who can give you good advice regarding the camera and
how to take the pictures. AND the better the picture the more bids
you will get on eBay (I know!)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:58:02 PM

"Darius" <wmn@worknman.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures of items for Ebay
> auctions. That is the only purpose I have for the camera, so I'm
> looking for recommendations.
> Basically, I don't really care much about image quality (these aren't
> high-dollar items I'm selling), so long as I can at least tell what
> the object being photograhped is without it being TOO blury. The only
> other thing to note is that my apartment is too brightly lit, so
> lighting conditions are a little less than ideal.
> If there's no digital cam in this price range that would do the trick,
> then perhaps a web cam?

Cheapest working brand name camera with > 1.0 megapixel, macro capabilities,
and manual white balance you can find. Lighting is the key to eBay pictures.
A home made light tent with white garbage bags, two or three desk lamps, and
a table top tripod can make small items look much better than the
competition's photos done on their living room rug.

Kerry
!