Do I have to purchase Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phipps05

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hello,
Hello,

Honestly, i'm just wondering because I just built my new rig and it's sick no joke...!! :)

Anyway I thought and I was like omg I don't have an operating system ( i know im not very smart :(

So do I need to go buy Windows 7 online or something or can i install it from my other computers through flash or what? I know that sounds bad but i'm just wondering already spent so much money.

Also, when I build my computer when my stuff gets here will it even turn on to anything if i don't have an operating system.. thanks guys sorry this is a dumb question

Solution

Technically u can install your old OEM copy of Win7 and run it without activation for30 days or till u get your legal key and than activate or perform clean install.

Recommended Minimum System...

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Buy an OEM copy. I won't mention torrenting... Just buy it, my brother torrented it and had so many problems with it. And my morale won't allow it. It's 99 bones, ya but deal with it. You'd get a disc with OEM with a code, so plug and chug really.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
If you have Windows 7 (retail, not OEM) on another PC that you're no longer going to use, you can uninstall Windows from there, and install Windows using that product key on your PC. You're allowed to transfer retail licenses between PCs. You'll most likely have to telephonically activate Windows.

phipps05

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Okay wow, thanks for the quick replies guys! So uninstall windows and then install it to my new build using the product key on my OLD PC -- that doesn't sound like piracy to me. -- Okay so how exactly do I do that... i'll probably look it up (what do you mean Telephonically)?

Edit: I don't think i'm going to torrent probably would cause problems.

EDIT v2: I just looked @ Ubuntu that looks really legit, how would I install windows 7 onto a CD or USB? how many gigs is it? I could be looking this up sorry for being lazy.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Careful: If your old PC has a product key sticker on it, then its an OEM edition, and you can't transfer OEM from one PC to another.

If you've bought Windows 7 retail for your old PC, then you can transfer that license. You would be having the discs in that case, wouldn't you?

Technically u can install your old OEM copy of Win7 and run it without activation for30 days or till u get your legal key and than activate or perform clean install.

Recommended Minimum System Requirements
Ubuntu Desktop Edition
1 GHz CPU (x86 processor (Pentium 4 or better))
1 GiB RAM (system memory)
15 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
800 by 600 screen resolution
Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media

Solution

That is if u would like to run it from the USB pen drive, for u -- u just need 15GB of space on the HDD. U can try it and see if u like it. I do. Its capable of using Wine to run Windows applications.

Windows 7 needs
16GB x32bit
20GB x64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.