Looking for some feedback on a massive upgrade to a gaming system

Shadist

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Ok, somehow through the wonders of the work computer I ended up posting this in the "UK/Ireland" Tom's Hardware forum.

So I figured I would correct that and post it here.

Ok, for starters I am not a really "ultra new game" gamer. Or at least I am not at this point due to my PC. . . I am "rocking" a single core AMD processor, 2GB ram, AGP video card.

Ok ok I need the upgrade I know.

The thing is the computer has done well by me playing what I want to play and doing what I want to do for about 5 years now. It's a dino, but a good one (housetrained and everything)

However my motherboard's hard drive controller is starting to go so, having saved up, I am going to do a little upgrading. (I have upgraded the PSU in the last two years as a result of the old one's death).

So, with the above in mind here's what I am thinking. . .

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 weeks depending on cost

Budget Range: $800 – $1000 or so

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet surfing, home office use

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, PSU (coolmax CUG-700B), speakers, monitor, case, secondary hard drive (WD green 2TB sata 3/gbs),

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Other than Western Digital for the HD I’m open to most anything

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution:1920x1200

Additional Comments: Here’s what I am thinking at this point parts wise. . .

• Mobo - ASUS P8P67 EVO
• CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K or i5-2500k
• CPU Cooler – Stock, or something else – Suggestions?
• Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
• OS Drive (primary) – Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB (I have had good luck with WD and been pleased with their customer support in the past)
• PSU - Existing 700w power supply (Coolermax CUG-700B)
• Video - MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870

Of note, I will be picking up a second Radeon HD 6870 in a month or so after purchase.

I would thank you for any/all advice or opinions you have on the above.

Finally I am trying to figure if it’s better to go with the P8P67 Evo or Deluxe. . . Other than the breakout box in the Deluxe I don’t see a world of difference vs the price difference.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
No real point in the deluxe. I think it has more power phases than the evo but not much.

Go with the i5 2500k. You won't see any gains with the 2600k.

I don't like the psu you have but if it's working for you and you aren't having issues then so be it :p

Shadist

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

I can/will pick up a better PSU when I get my second graphics card.

TRENDING THREADS