Sign in with
Your question

Alienware 51 Computer wont turn off unless I unplug it

Last response: in Components
September 5, 2011 11:17:17 AM

I have no clue where I should post this. I made a message and I think it just disapeared. But I have a Alienware Area 51 computer. I like to alien respawn to factory default alot. Could this mess up my computer? Recently after I did this my computer had a few things stop working then start working again. Whenever I turn my computer off in wont shutdown, well I mean the screen does but on the Alien Head icon under the power button it blinks yellow/red. Anyone know what this could be?
a b ) Power supply
September 5, 2011 11:30:37 AM

Is it going into suspend? Does this happen when you tell it to shutdown in Windows?
m
l
September 5, 2011 11:49:45 AM

The yellow/red blinking light occurs when turning the computer on. It switches between the yellow/red and my normal alien fx light colors. several times before i am able to sign on. normally it starts up with just my normal alien fx color which is blue. also it happens when i hit shutdown from the start menu in Windows. when I hit shutdown it says shutting down and then the monitor turns off but my vents do not close and it goes to the yellow/red flashing light and (when i mean yellow/red flashing light i mean it turns yellow then red.)
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2011 11:51:47 AM

For a second I thought I was not going to be able to Configure Windows Update because of it.
m
l
September 5, 2011 11:55:22 AM

Some of the problems I came across other than the yellow/red light was this. 1 Consent UI has stopped working. 2 The instruction at 0x651393e8 referenced memory at 0x00000118 could not read. 3 Went on the internet and said wouldnt work cause of malious something. 3 Windows Explorer stopped working then worked again. All of these things only occured 1 time.
m
l
September 5, 2011 1:16:20 PM

Can using Alien Respawn or System Restore more than I should ruin hardware?
m
l
September 5, 2011 1:37:58 PM

I think doing this is what messed up my computer.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 6, 2011 11:49:23 AM

The problem was there before you used these progs to recover.... that was the point of installing them i guess.
Software rarely messes up hardware in physical terms....
Why did you need to use sys restore so often? it was because of faulty shutdowns and faulty hardware i guess.
So the problem was never the software....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 6, 2011 11:51:52 AM

Now that's a double post, check the other one for the answer
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 6, 2011 4:07:03 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Hardware Failure
    m
    l
    September 7, 2011 8:43:44 AM

alyoshka said:
    The problem was there before you used these progs to recover.... that was the point of installing them i guess.
    Software rarely messes up hardware in physical terms....
    Why did you need to use sys restore so often? it was because of faulty shutdowns and faulty hardware i guess.
    So the problem was never the software....

I just do it cause I am afraid to get viruses and I know that virus protection wont always find every virus. I had no issues at all.
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    September 7, 2011 8:56:57 AM

There are easier ways of keeping viruses out, Well, I can vouch for Kaspersky, that is one really good anti virus.
    And if you were so afraid of a virus , you could have used a utility like Deep Freeze.
    That would be a lot more easier and safer than any other software I know of actually.

m
    l
    September 7, 2011 9:00:02 AM

I have Kaspersky, I just didnt think restoring to factory default would ever cause me a issue cause I have done it a few times before. A friend of mine thinks maybe the operating system didnt install correctly. Is there any way I can know if thats the case?
    m
    l
    September 7, 2011 9:04:54 AM

I am on the computer so I would assume that the problem is not the Power Supply/Motherboard/Proccessor and maybe the harddrive but I may be wrong
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    September 7, 2011 9:04:55 AM

Yup, you can run the file check utility for windows file integrity in the OS itself, with the OS Disk with you.
    m
    l
    September 7, 2011 9:12:50 AM

Dell has this thing on their website called Iolo System Checkup. Its a free scan but cost money to fix errors you get. it says a few things. 129 problems/124 critical.
    1 unneccessary startup item. 113 registry problems. 10 repairable security vulnerablities. One or more signs of physical corruption on Drive C. 23.05mb of system file clutter in 41 files. 2 broken shortcuts. and they want me to pay $39.95. Now should I believe this? And if I pay this and it still dont fix my computer it would be a waste.
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    September 7, 2011 9:19:18 AM

Ok, now the utility you mentioned has a pretty good rep. But there are free utilities for all those problems or then there are cheaper and better utilities for many of your problems.
    One of them is RegClean, it's free
    So you'll have your registry entries cleaned and cleared of clutter
    Defrag your C drive after a disk cleanup.
    And the unnecessary startup file can be disabled from the Administrative Tools - System Configuration
    m
    l
    September 7, 2011 9:29:21 AM

Thanks for your help. Hopefully I can figure out was wrong without having to call Dell. Really dont want to pay 59 dollars for them to talk to me. Dont have a warranty no more cause they wanted me to pay 400 dollars for it. Well I guess it aint that bad....lol
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    September 7, 2011 9:43:57 AM

Worst comes to worst, you may need to format the entire system and install the OS again.
    That is a solution that will certainly help. Then do a step wise install of certain programs to ensure you are virus free and make a snapshot of the disk (OS Partition).
    A good idea would be to use Acronis and create an Invisible backup partition for emergency recovery.
    If I were you, I'd not waste more than a day to try and rectify the problem, after that, I would just do a clean install of the OS and utilities that I need and create the required Backups.
    m
    l
    !