Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Disk Utillity partion deleted my files!

Last response: in Mac Os X
August 4, 2010 9:15:59 PM

Hello Everyone!
Im in a bunch of trouble with my Macintosh Pro. The story goes that i was about to reinstall my OS and wanted to boot from my external harddrive instead of an boot CD/DVD. I used the Disk Utillity to make an extra partion on my external drive, and set it up as a boot drive. I was very carefull and read that the new partion wouldnt interfeer with my files that was on the drive before the partion process. I made one partion with the old files, and a new one for the boot drive - but afterwards the drive seemed to be formatted anyhow... :(  Im certainly not an eagle at these things, but i can't see that I did anything wrong? It said in the software walkthrough "Disk Utillity" that I was on safe ground, and the files wouldnt be touched, but yet again they are gone.

What can I do?
Should I use a recovery software? Or can the computer simply not see the old partion because of something?

Hope to hear from you.
Best Regards
Alexander
August 13, 2010 7:09:34 PM

it certainly shouldn't have deleted files, nearly all my mac externals are partitioned to be bootable, and it's never deleted anything. when you plug the external in to your mac pro, how many drives show up on your desktop? going back to disk utility when the drives are plugged in, is everything mounted?
August 17, 2010 11:47:21 AM

"Should I use a recovery software? Or can the computer simply not see the old partion because of something? "

Ofcourse i think atleast you can save your data you should try a good recovery application like i would suggest Stellar Phoenix Macintosh Data Recovery which has a free trial version.if you find your recovered files on preview then go for the full download otherwise not..Please always keep backup of your data thats important
http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com
Related resources
!