Windows 8 black screen with mouse pointer after login

Status
Not open for further replies.

scutters

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Hi there,

I have been struggling to get into win 8 as when I login the screen goes blank and I just have a mouse pointer,
I am able to ctrl+alt+del to get to task manager but is crashes as soon as I use it. I have tryed to do the refresh from the install cd to no avail.

I had been using win 8 for a few days fine and had updated to the new nvidia driver, I think my issues may have started when I installed afterburner to stop my gfx card reving while playing games. It was ok while using it but on a restart the black screen happened.

I have the system on a semi dual boot (Having to pick from f12 boot menu to select hard drive) so should not be a dual boot issue.

My system
ga-p35c-ds3r
q6600
xmx2 4x2gb
zotac 560ti 2gb
xfx pro 850w

would aprecate any help with this issue

Sounds like you might need to do a fresh install. I just had to do one last night on my laptop because of a DNS issue in Win8. Refresh and Reset didn't seem to solve it, so I had no choice. That's why his is a beta though.

Could try using the Repair options available on the Windows 8 disk (click Repair your Computer, instead of Install) before resorting to wiping it out completely though.

Good luck!

scutters

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Yeah i think i may have to, I will do a fresh install and then new drivers and afterburner stright away see if it produces the same issue. but that can wait till morning. Tho if anyone finds anything before then ill give that a go :)

squGEIm

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
The same thing happened to me.. Windows 8 Pro 32-bit. I refreshed it, and then it was fine. But after I installed all the programs and restarted, it happened again.
It had happened to me before in a 64-bit Windows 8 RTM, but I started explorer.exe from the task manager and the start screen came. But it isn't happening now. Everything is fine, just the explorer.exe is not running. You can open all the programs (that's how I'm writing right now), and even the file explorer, just the start screen and all the metro stuff don't work.

robithnurielhaq

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2012
The reason why I love this new windows 8 is because it gives me a lot of problems :). It gives me problem during installation, it gives me problem during activation, and it now gives me blank screen problem that you mention. fortunately, i can solve all of those problems with no trouble.

For the blank screen problem, it occurs after I log in to my account (not after booting). So if your situation is the same with mine, you may be able to follow my steps in solving this problem (I believe that you experience the same problem with mine because I'm also able to start my computer in safe mode, but it goes blank when it starts in normal mode).

The problem with my computer is no way related to driver because I have uninstalled (or reverted) all drivers but the problem still occurs. In my case, I believe that the problem is with the application that i install on my machine. Everything goes allright before i install my avast antivirus. but after installing it, the blank screen problem occurs. my solution is by restoring the system to any restore points before avast is installed. fortunately, the solution works perfectly.

your problem may not be related to avast, but it may be related to any applications that you recently install on your machine. therefore, i suggest you refresh or reset your windows and install all applications that you want to install on your machine one by one. restart whenever you finish installing one application so that you can find out which application causes the problem.

sorry if my english is not understandable because i'm indonesian.

squGEIm

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
You are right, I also realized it was all Avast's fault and uninstalled it. BTW, is your Windows 32-bit or 64-bit? I had installed Avast in 64-bit RTM and it had worked all fine.

robithnurielhaq

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2012

my wndows 8 is the 32-bit one. i'm glad to hear that avast for 64-bit windows 8 doesnt cause problem, but i'll stick with my 32-bit windows 8. i don't know whether or not the new version of avast 32-bit is faulty because i installed my avast by using installer that i downloaded about one month ago. right now i rely only on windows 8 defender because i dont currently have time to experiment with any available antiviruses. any suggestion about any antiviruses that work well with windows 8 is highly appreciated.

squGEIm

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

I also had installed it from an older version, so I downloaded the latest version (the one that says Windows 8 Compatible). It still causes the problem. Now I have AVG installed, and its working fine. I had tried Avira but it says it does not officially support Windows 8 and I found some problems with it.

robithnurielhaq

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2012

I wish i can use AVG. its been quite a while since the last time i used it because it thought it was not powerful enough to protect my pc. maybe i will use it now. thanks

robithnurielhaq

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2012
in the end i return to avast. the latest version of avast is windows 8 friendly and it is totally harmless. i've tried AVG for a while and it tried to kill many programs that i believe as safe and harmless programs.

BrainCandy

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Heya!!!!!
just do it this way
reinstall win8 (offline) and dont use login by email
dont even make a new user
everything runs well xD :bounce: tested and works :hello:

jballes

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I had the same problem today, finally managed to solve it by connecting the VGA cable to the other port in the graphics card.

My graphics card comes with two cable connections, one is the blue VGA connector, and the other one is some sort of digital video output, it is rectangular and usually it is white. For whatever reason, after the last update, Windows 8 decided on its own to start using the digital port instead of the VGA port, so the screen remained black, every once in a while I could see the mouse pointer, but that was all...

Luckily I had around an adapdator that allowed me to plug the VGA cable to the digital video port, as soon as I did it Windows desktop appeared in the monitor!

Never get bored with Windows.

Rick BUttell

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/

Many thanks for the info. I had the very same problem with my W8 after updating my Nvidia drivers, and you know, I looked at the video card but never gave it any thought that it could be what was causing my problem. Added an adapter moved the cable over to the DVI port and it fixed everything.

m0n0l1th

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Yup, it seems that there's a conflict between avast's services and win8 dumbass explorer.exe, restoring files now, too bad my favorite AV won't be here for some time. using win8 32-bit. not my machine, I'd go back to 7 if I'd own it.
Greetings from Bolivia!

1998Notout

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hi, Please add a guest account to your main screen. now because guest has no right to install new programmes, it is SAFE and appears to be immune to the black screen. This may prove life saver when you don't have access to any other computer and you need to go to internet. in other words, even when your main log in goes to black screen, your guest account won't. this also proves that that nothing is wrong with any of your drivers or windows installation. Black screen appears to be being caused by Faulty additional programme that is probably trying to be updated at start.

Godzmurf

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

the best thing to do when your on a black screen in windows 8 is to open task manager. run "control panel" and then uninstall everything you have installed before the said error. I experienced this kind of problem and I'm sure this would work out.

Aug 9, 2013
AVAST is the problem. I had the same issue with windows 8 black screen after log on to windows with mouse pointer. After disabling the avast service there were no more troubles. so I uninstalled AVAST.my problem solved.

sandyWya

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

I installed Kaspersky today and screen went blue with only mouse pointer after login. However how do I remove Kaspersky from Laptop? I just see blue screen.

IonU_All

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
I was having the same problem.
All graphics displaying correctly until I logged into the machine. The black screen and Cursor. Ctrl Alt Delete would display the normal options but clicking Task manager for example would return you to the black screen.

The Fix:
Start Windows in Safe Mode (Hold shift key on when pressing restart on the main log on screen.)
Select Safe mode with networking. (5)
Log onto machine with an administrative account
Go to Computer Manager
Select Local Users and Groups
Then select Groups
Add the account you are experiencing problems with to this group, This can be a local user or a Domain account.
Reboot the machine and the problem should be solved.

Not sure if this is a Win 8 problem, as I used to remove all users from the Users Group and add myself to the Administrators Group in Win 7 with no Issue.

Hope this helps somebody. Took me 3 days and three reinstalls of Windows to track it down.

Brenden

plazboz

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Try these steps - it works for me, I found this solution today by accident :) I had black screen with mouse pointer after starting Windows 8.1 (clean installation) on my laptop Lenovo T60 with ATI X1300 and I thought, that it is display driver issue, but it´s not. I had problém only in startup of system, not after restart or waking up from sleep mode or hibernation.
Steps:
Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options, now one of options from up left corner - Require a password on wakeup or Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does, Change settings that are currently unavailable (If you have UAC turn on)
now:
TURN OFF checkbox on "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" - after that, you will be able to start computer with normal desktop, no black screen with mouse pointer :) Enjoy.
plazboz

this is generally caused when you use the nvidia setup program before windows has
finished with its updates. The driver that nvidia provided to microsoft is not actually installed until the system reboots. You really need to reboot your system before you install via the nvidia setup program or you can get a mix matched versions of the drivers and this type of failure.

to fix you have to boot in safe mode, remove the nvidia graphics software, reboot, redetect your hardware, reinstall the microsoft driver, reboot, then re run the nvidia setup program to get to the latest version. Kind of stupid but if you don't reboot the old driver that nvidia gave microsot will over write one of the 3 drivers that nvidia installs and you will get the problem described, typically a blank screen when the system boots.

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
This might not be the same issue as I get a blank screen following Windows 7 64-bit login (but no cursor), but thought I'd mention it anyway...
I'd looked at the event viewer, started and stopped services, and even changed my graphics card. This was happening before I changed the video card and it's still happening, but although it appears to be video-related I am not sure what's causing it (my new graphics card is an MSI R6450).
What I've discovered, however, is that my monitor light stays blue (not the amber it would turn if the connection were lost). And, if I turn the monitor off and then on I'll get a few seconds of visible desktop before it goes blank.
AND, if I make sure all active windows are not maximized it doesn't happen. It seems DIRECTLY related to maximizing the active window.
Hope this helps someone. If this is your issue, at least knowing to keep the windows from maximizing buys you some visible desktop time to pursue other causes...
Monica

MadeByHippies

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Just solved my issue after and hour working on it.
With Windows 8 on a HP All in one Envy computer.

Had the black screen with only mouse showing.

First I did the press shift 5 times gig to get the screen to pop up and clicked ease of access, then I could get into my desktop to do stuff.

I went to my uninstall programs page and uninstalled AVG Free 2014 that I had installed yesterday.

Rebooted but that did not fix the problem.

So I checked out what else had been installed and found it, visual studio redistributable 2012
there were two of those installed the yesterday too, so I uninstalled those and viola, FIXED!!!

Good Luck Folks!!!

Erik
www.MadeByHippies.com

Status
Not open for further replies.