What makes them laggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I just bought a graphic card, Leadtek Winfast Geforce GT 430 1GB DDR3, but I try playing a game (Half Life 2 and COD4 Modern Warfare), but it was laggy even I set all settings to the lowest. Disable AA, disable shadow, etc.

Here's my pc specs.

Leadtek Winfast Geforce GT 430 1GB DDR3 128bit
1GB DDR2 RAM 800mhz
Pentium 4 3.00Ghz HT (Hyper Threading)
500W PSU
Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard

Is this what you called "bottlenecked" by a processor?

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I would say it's bottle necked at your RAM, 1 GB isn't very much these day's. I run windows 7 with a 4 GB DDR2 RAM and my memory sits on 1.1 Gig standing work load all the time, so 1 GB isn't very much what kind of motherboard do you have, will it support more RAM, and if so thats what i would look into because your processor certainly is big enough as long as its compatible with your processor.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L. So 4GB is the minimum, I am thinking uprading the processor because i think its the processor that cause my games laggy. But you said the RAM. Which one do I need to upgrade first? The processor or the RAM?

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I don't want to upgrade my processor if the RAM is the problem, and I don't want to buy RAM if the RAM is the processor is the problem. From your experience, which hardware do I need to upgrade?In my country 4GB RAM compared to a newer processor cost almost a same prices, if its the RAM problem, I will upgrade the RAM.

lol. win seven with 1GB of RAM is a disaster when you want to play games. i know how it was when 1 stick of my RAM gone bad. but if you're running win xp 1GB still considered as fine. IMO you need to get better processor such as E7500. for the RAM part just add another 1GB or 2GB and you will good to go.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I would go with the ram 1Gig isn't much. My system is pretty comparable to yours
Biostar GF7050v-m7 se
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.3GHz
4 Gig DDR2 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 210
but i need to look at either getting a new monitor or Video card myself getting clipping on Dragon age 2. I was looking at upgrading to a Core 2 Extreme

just overclock your cpu then you're good to go. if you really want more cpu performance just get new platform. Core i5 2500k would be nice to have :D

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
So, which one do I need to upgrade? Looks like Im ouf of ram memory. I tested using Photoshop and I got an error saying that I dont have enough memory. Looks like RAM right?

A RAM upgrad will help out a bit with Photoshop, but you won't see anything noticeable with your gaming performance unless you upgrade to a dual core and something beyond a GT 430 (gtx 460-ish).

I have a similar system by which I'm running an E5300 processor on a P5G41T-M LX with a Radeon 5450 (similar to a GT 430). The system is great for running productivity software and acting as an HTPC, though you can't expect much gaming performance from something like this with a lower-end video card.

You could give your system a kick in the pants by upgrading the RAM to 2GB and getting a GTX 460 or Radeon 5870. Both are not cheap upgrades. Also, because most modern games will utilize multiple processor cores, a dual core or core 2 duo processor might be in order.

When you start pricing these things out though, you start getting into the total system upgrade territory (ie Do you have enough power in a 500W no-brand supply if you do upgrade the video?).

G

Honestly, the most cost effective way of trying to game on your system will be to put minimum 2gb ram in and install windows XP. Windows 7 is great, but honestly a streamlined XP system will be better on low end setup!

Putting more than 2Gb ram will not speed things up, your processor is just not a modern gaming processor, Single threaded p4 not that good.

Think your board will support e5200, try get one of those and then go 4gb ram with win7 x64, this will give you gaming at low resolutions (now the gt430 will be the bottleneck, but you will be able to gane)

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
How about this processor? I was given a discount for this processor.

Intel Pentium Dual Core (E5700) 3.0GHz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, the GT 430 is an high-end video card according to this site.

http://videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+430

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this is my hardware that I want to upgrade.

Current RAM = 1GB (2x 512MB 667mhz Dual Channel)
I will buy 2GB DDR2 800mhz, so my motherboard has 2.5GB RAM in total.

Current processor = Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT
I will upgrade to Intel Pentium Dual Core E5700 3.0GHz

So my new system will be..

Leadtek Winfast Geforce GT 430 1GB DDR3 128bit
2.5GB DDR2
Intel Pentium Dual Core (E5700) 3.0GHz
ATX 500W PSU
Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard

What do you think?

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
And this is some information.

Before updating my graphic card driver, the RAM and Processor got 4.5 and 2.3 subscore in Windows 7 WEI. Then, after updating the driver yesterday, the score dropped too low where the RAM got 2.5 score and Processor with 1.5.

the processor will do just fine for most game out there. but you might don't want to mix 667mhz and 800mhz ram together. the chart you post mixing any video cards available. you have to understand the naming scheme to know where your card position in performance

Truth. The 430 is listed on the high-end chart on that site because it is newer and more capable in a synthetic graphics test than cards that provide basic video capabilities listed on the "medium" chart many of which are using 5-8 year-old tech. The cards are grouped according to score and separated so we don't have to scroll through 5 screens of data to find the scores for our cards.

With regard to that particular "High End Videocards" chart, the cards you'd want consider for gaming begin at the 1,646 score (entry-level gaming) and above.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
This is what the Leadtek claimed

"Next generation architecture delivers incredible gaming performance at maximum resolution and quality settings"

I actually not playing games 24/7. I just play games when I bored, nothing to do, etc. Most of the time when using computer is doing my work, graphic design and movie editing. Ok ok, forget about the graphic card performance. I will upgrade my RAM 1st (to handle the Photoshop and other apps), and upgrade my processor later.

Status
Not open for further replies.