Acolyte11

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Question: Want to upgrade system, see Motheboard, CPU and Memory upgrade plan. The current Video card is Geforce GTX 460. is upgrade necessary? is 570 a high enough jump for $360? Any other opinions? Thanks. (High end Gamer)

Video Card

Old - Geforce GTX 460 1 Gb
New - ? 570?

Motherboard

Old - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
New - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3- LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard

CPU

Old - Intel Core Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0 GHz LGA 775 65W Dual Core Processor
New - Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core (+ Hydro series H60 High Perf Liquid CPU cooler)

Memory

Old - Corsair XMS2 8GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
New - G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 21800) Desktop

Other Specs

Case - Antec 300 Black STeel ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU - Antec Neopower 650 650W ATX 12V SLI Ready Crossfire ready Modular Active PFC PSU

striker410

Distinguished
Hi there, welcome to the forums.

First thing, please fill out this form: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice It gives us the info we need to help you.

However, I can make some suggestions.

Motherboard looks ok.

Get the i5-2500k if for gaming. I need some info from the form to give more accurate help.

Same with memory. 8GB will be PLENTY!

Good PSU, might wanna check out the Earthwatts 650, much cheaper.

I'll get back to you.

^+1.
The i7 won't help you at all unless you're doing video/photo editing stuff, because hyperthreading (only main difference between i5 and i7) doesn't add performance to games. You're better of with the i5-2500K, and it's very OCable.

8GB of RAM is more than necessary for games. I run a lot of codes at school, which is the only reason I have 16GB. The 2nd kit I just got the other day as a Newegg Shell Shocker deal, and I had a 15% off memory coupon ;)

The Antec Earthwatts 650 is a great power supply, and is extremely cheap. I was running an i7-930 and 2x470 on it for about a year with no issues.

Acolyte11

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Great advice!! thanks guys, I can save $200 dropping to Core i5 and 2x4 GB of Ripjaws series memory (Leaving 2 empty memory slots for later)

Now anyone have advice on the video card? Thanks so much!!!

Acolyte11

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Just wanted to see if Video card needed upgrading (would cause bottleneck with the new MB, memory and CPU) or will upgrades fix existing bottleneck.

I wouldn't mind mediocre advice

Sorry i put in wrong forum, (New Build)

striker410

Distinguished
Well since I don't have many details, I assume you are gaming.
I don't know your screen res, so I assume you are 1080p
I don't know your budget, so I assume saving is best.

The GTX 460 will not bottleneck. However, it will not take full advantage of the 2500k's power. Adding another card in SLI would be a very good combo, almost a 100% performance increase.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
may i ask, why you want to upgrade, seems like your current setup is still a great performer and can overclock quite easily to around 3.8ghz. and depending on what resolutions you play at, you may not even notice much of an improvement in gaming with a new CPU/Mobo upgrade (especially at higher resolutions and an overclocked E8400) it would also save you the time of reinstalling the OS, save you money and let you hold on till you actually need an upgrade. if you play at lower resolutions though, a new CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade would be worth it.

Acolyte11

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
User wants upgrade to be able to run the newest high end games such as Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 in highest settings, as well as be ahead of the game in hardware as much as possible with about $1000 to play around with...

So it is all about high end gaming in high resolution with maxxed out settings

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Lol, I used to have black ops on ps3, and got to upgrading my gaming pc. Once I installed BC2, you can imagine one of the first times on multiplayer, the shock of sitting in a building, and all of a sudden the wall next to you starts disappearing as people use grenades/rockets.

Btw, I say SLI is a good option op, even gts 450's in sli are around the same performance as a 470, and the 460 is a much stronger card than the 450, if they scale well, you should be set for a long time.