Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't boot - dead PSU?

Last response: in Components
September 5, 2011 1:13:47 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm having some problems with my desktop computer, it won't boot, nothing happens when I press the power button. I suspect that the PSU is dead but my hardware skills are not enough to be sure about it and how to continue from now. But let's take this story from the beginning...

Everything started when I disconnected all cables to move my PC 3 meters to my new desk. When I plugged everything back in again and pressed the power button it powered up for less than a second and died, powered up and died, powered up and died, this could repeat for all of eternity or until I pulled the cord. It was almost like an old car that tried to start but couldn't, you could hear the fans, wroom - wroom - wroom - wroom - and so on.

So I thought maybe some hardware part was the problem and I disconnected DVD-ROMS, harddrives, soundcard. All but MB, CPU and GPU. Now it worked! I connected more and more parts and eventually the only parts not connected was 2 DVD-ROMS, when I connected these the problem showed up directly again. So I assumed these ones was the problem, I disconnected them again and just ignored putting new ROMS back in again, I don't use them that much anyway.

So this solution worked for about 6 months until the computer stopped running at all, it wouldn't power up at all, nothing at all happens when I press the power button. My suspicion this time is that it's the PSU that died, and the problem 6 months ago was about it starting to die.

So help me out here, is it the PSU that died or what can it be? Maybe something wrong with the wall socket that have damaged the PSU or is it normal to die like that? Feels weird since the problem came by simply disconnecting, moving and reconnecting the cables.

The PSU is an Antec Phantom 500W, it's quite old, maybe 4 years or older.

ALL HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED! :love: 

English is not my first language, but I hope you know what I mean with everything :) 

More about : computer boot dead psu

September 5, 2011 3:08:33 PM

Does sound quite likely that the PSU is dead, any chance there's a a known working one that you could borrow just test if your system boots without it?

Pretty much the only way of being completely sure that's the issue.
a c 80 ) Power supply
September 5, 2011 3:48:13 PM

First is there any comp stores nearby or online that you can order from and get a psu tester ? It is something that would be good to have lying around anyway. Second there are some little devices that can be used to start the psu by pluging into the 24 pin main connector. Say you had a massive build with multiple video cards ,water cooling with two pumps and two loops , lights, fans and you wanted to run two psu's, you can with this device that plugs into the 24 pin connector and use the extra molex and sata power connectors. This is not an exspensive thing and it only costs around $10 but it is a way of testing the psu to see if it will turn on by itself. There are several ways that a psu will die on you and there is no way to tell what it will be , if it just stops working then that is a good way for it to happen , I actually had one start smoking and almost cought my pc on fire and it was a miracle that nothing was damaged except for the psu
Related resources
September 12, 2011 1:19:00 PM

Hello and thanks for the replies! I have been on a business trip and no chance yet to try out your tips.

I'm going to buy a PSU tester but I'm having diffuculties finding one, Any recommendations on good products?

Also I think I'm going to buy a Corsair AX750, is this a good PSU that you can recommend?

And my last question, if any hardware is damaged is there any risk with putting in a new PSU? Can a faulty motherboard (for example) damage my new PSU? And if that's the case, how do I do to avoid this?

Best regards!
Patrik
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 12, 2011 1:39:40 PM

Gooseer said:
Hello and thanks for the replies! I have been on a business trip and no chance yet to try out your tips.

I'm going to buy a PSU tester but I'm having diffuculties finding one, Any recommendations on good products?

Also I think I'm going to buy a Corsair AX750, is this a good PSU that you can recommend?

And my last question, if any hardware is damaged is there any risk with putting in a new PSU? Can a faulty motherboard (for example) damage my new PSU? And if that's the case, how do I do to avoid this?

Best regards!
Patrik

Better off buying a digital multimeter, one of the regulars can show you how to use it as a psu tester ( jsc has it written down somewhere ) and you'll get more use out of it than just testing power supplies.

That Phantom should be well out of warranty, I'd open it up and see how many of the caps are blown or bulging ( 4-5 years out of an old CWT built Antec is not to bad, I've seen a boatload of them die in the same manner you describe )

PS; that's a very good unit that you chose
September 12, 2011 5:16:14 PM

Ok, got myself a multimeter now and might be able to test my PSU tonight or tomorrow.

Hope to get an answer on my last question, is there any risk with putting in a new PSU? Can the PSU take damage if for example the motherboard is faulty? And in that case how do I test and make sure that my new PSU won't take damage before putting it in?
September 12, 2011 9:01:04 PM

So I tried to test my PSU tonight using this guide: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-...

Unfortunately since english is my second language I got stuck on step number 5.

5. Short out pins 15 and 16 on the 24-pin motherboard power connector with a small piece of wire.

I'm not sure I get it, since there are no pictures, but I guess I should use a small wire to connect between pin 15 and 16 right? Like a loop?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
September 13, 2011 7:20:21 AM

I couldn't wait for an answer so I did use the wire and started testing. On the 24-pin the only pin I had ANY voltage on was pin 9 "+5 VDC Standby" and that voltage was between 2.83V-3.37V so I guess we can agree on that this PSU is totally dead.

Ordering the Corsair AX750 now :bounce: 
!