johnwm

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I have recently invested in a new build computer for working on - i use heavy database programs for my work and need a powerful, cool, quiet machine. My current system is the following :

Hard drive for running 64-bit windows 7:
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD 2.5" SATA-II Read = 285MB/s, Write = 275MB/s 50,000 IOPS

Hard drive for database:
OCZ 120GB Vertex 2E SSD 2.5" SATA-II Read = 285MB/s, Write = 275MB/s 50,000 IOPS

Spare hard drive:
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Motherboard:
Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 ONboard 128MB Memory DVI VGA HDMI Out ATX Motherboard

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Boxed Processor

8GB RAM Memory:
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 unbuffered

DvD burner/player:
LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials

Case:
Coolermaster Sileo Quiet Case With 500W Extreme Power Plus PSU

Unfortuantely this setup isnt fast enough for my demands, so i am looking to add another 120GB SSD drive in RAID to speed it up. I also want to add a more powerful fan to keep it cooler so i can clock it higher. Since i have been running it clocked faster i have noticed the fan running faster, and the overall internal temperature has gone up, this has meant less stability throughout the system (it has crashed many times in the past few weeks).

I am a computer building noob, i paid my friend to build my original setup, but now i dont have any money to pay someone so i am happy to take on the challenge of upgrading my system. I am looking for advice on the best cooler improvement for my system, and also info on setting up a RAID formation. I only have one spare slot for another SSD - i dont know if i can have a 3 way RAID formation or does it have to be an even number of drives? thx in advance for any advice given cheers JOhn

striker410

Distinguished
Hey John, welcome to the forums.

First thing I see is Vertex 2 E. That isn't good, my friend. Those E drives have big reliability issues since they were manufactured on 28nm ( I believe? ) instead of the more stable 34nm. Howe long have you had them?

for an SSD suggestion, the OCZ Agility 3 120GB doubles the speed on those vertex 2's. It's also very cheap for what you get.

For a cooler, your case seems a bit cramped so I would go Scythe Big Shuriken: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185129&Tpk=big%20shuriken Very powerful cooler, low profile. Just make sure it's not going to interfere with RAM or anything.

I doubt you can fit a Hyper 212+, so the Hyper TX3 would be my next suggestion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064&cm_re=tx3-_-35-103-064-_-Product It's a mini version of the 212+.

Can't help on RAID, Don't run it.

johnwm

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
hey striker, i have only had the drives for 2 weeks - they are very unstable, ideally i would like to change all 3 drives for the new OCZ ones, do you think a company lkike ebuyer would be able to do this? i dont even what kinda warrqanty ect they may offer (stupid me :)

striker410

Distinguished
If you have only had them for 2 weeks, wipe them and demand a refund. Any company should honor it since it hasnt been the customary 30 days. If they don't give in, keep fighting. If it's not in their policy to allow returns, RMA them. Sounds like you are having legitimate issues with defective drives. Basically, you need to get rid of those ASAP.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

yup ebuyer, has some great customer services, just drop them an eNote and they'll reply within a few hours (SOMETIMES, but quite rarely they may take more than 12 hours (or even up to 2 days))

johnwm

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
how can i justify this return - is there any research on the 2nd rate quality of the item in question that i could confront them with explaining why they make my computer crash prone? i am pretty sure saying "my PC keeps crashing and is very unstable" isn t goin to be enough of a reason for them, esp. since i am looking to replace them both with a recently upgraded item?

striker410

Distinguished
Ok, just did some research. The E series is having issues, but not like, HUGE HUGE issues. They DO have a shorter life span, and are less stable. They are also not as fast. Since you are having issues, go ahead and return them.

Here's the drive I would recommend: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/268244 It's about the same price per GB, is WAY faster, and doesnt have the same issues.

johnwm

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
can anyone point me in the direction of some info on working on my computer / installing a RAID setup in my system, i will be undertaking this myself and basically have no computer building experience (accept installing a few PCi cards) - so will need advice on both hardware and software