Is my card defective?

ic500

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hi all, I purchased an HIS 6950 2GB on amazon a month ago. It was running completely fine. I could play games(mostly Bad Company 2) for a couple of hours without any problems. However, after a week, whenever i hopped on Bad Company 2, my computer would freeze after 20 or so minutes of playing, I would then have to hard reboot it. The card is running at 75C on load with 50% fan speed. I have reinstalled drivers, reformatted hard drive, but it would still freeze. I also tested an old 5750 and I could play for several hours with no problems whatsoever. So did I receive a bad card and should I RMA it or do further testing?

PS: I have ran memtest, and passed. I also ran furmark, the temps on the card went up to 85C or so, but had no problems.

Solution
Well, at this point it sounds like it is one of two things: the Power Supply or the Video Card.

Ultra PSUs are mediocre at best, however 750W leaves a lot of headroom so that should be OK.

So, the graphics card may be dying. Why? Who knows, it might not have taken to the unlocked shaders well. I'd recommend starting the RMA process, and return it if you don't get any other feedback here.

ic500

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I did unlock extra shaders on the card and OC'ed it to 880/1300, it was running fine the first week. Now i have reverted it back to original bios and default clocks. I was running Furmark for about 30 mins, because i had to go somewhere, the temps were at 85C, average FPS was around 40-50, but there weren't any problems.

Well, at this point it sounds like it is one of two things: the Power Supply or the Video Card.

Ultra PSUs are mediocre at best, however 750W leaves a lot of headroom so that should be OK.

So, the graphics card may be dying. Why? Who knows, it might not have taken to the unlocked shaders well. I'd recommend starting the RMA process, and return it if you don't get any other feedback here.

Solution