Great moments in GBA eye candy?

In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?

Steve
8 answers Last reply
More about great moments candy

    Steven Folberg wrote:
    > In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
    > graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?

    It's not coming out in America, and I've only seen videos, but Asterix &
    Obelix XXL might qualify. It's not exactly beautiful, but it is impressive.
    It's a 3D platformer on the GBA! Here are some screenshots and videos:

    http://media.gameboy.ign.com/media/665/665185/imgs_1.html

    Velez & Dubail (the developers) have done a lot of other impressive 3D work
    on the GBA. I haven't actually played any of their games, though :)

    The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I might
    pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly blow me away
    (even though they looked pretty good).
    --
    //mike tyndall
    "Mmm! Power lines and paint chips! My childhood rocks!"

    Hi, Mike...

    On 10/11/04 6:14 PM, in article aZudnadwG-EnhfbcRVn-rg@comcast.com, "Mike
    Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Steven Folberg wrote:
    >> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
    >> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
    >
    > It's not coming out in America, and I've only seen videos, but Asterix &
    > Obelix XXL might qualify. It's not exactly beautiful, but it is impressive.
    > It's a 3D platformer on the GBA! Here are some screenshots and videos:
    >
    > http://media.gameboy.ign.com/media/665/665185/imgs_1.html

    Wow, that's pretty amazing stuff. I didn't think the GBA could pull that
    kind of 3D off. The action looks pretty monotonous after awhile, though.

    > Velez & Dubail (the developers) have done a lot of other impressive 3D work
    > on the GBA. I haven't actually played any of their games, though :)
    >
    > The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I might
    > pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly blow me away
    > (even though they looked pretty good).

    What kind of game is Golden Sun?

    Steve

    Steven Folberg wrote:
    > Hi, Mike...

    Howdy!

    > Mike Tyndall wrote:
    >> Steven Folberg wrote:
    >>> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
    >>> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
    >>
    >> The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I
    >> might pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly
    >> blow me away (even though they looked pretty good).
    >
    > What kind of game is Golden Sun?

    It's an RPG; many would say the best one on GBA. It's developed by Camelot
    (Mario Golf, Mario Tennis), and it's a good one. I don't know whether
    you're into RPGs, but Golden Sun is a good place to start if you're
    interested.

    Side note that's not really related: Camelot Software Planning started as
    Sonic Software Planning (Sonic as in "the Hedgehog," I would guess), and
    developed all the Shining Force games and Shining in the Darkness. They
    also did the original Hot Shots Golf on PSOne (as Camelot).
    --
    //mike tyndall
    Red Mage: "Nautical, schmautical. Give me one hour and I'll know enough to

    Ditto on Golden Sun. I also really like the look of Mario and Luigi
    Superstar Saga. Yeah its 2d, but the color palette and animation are
    amazing.

    "Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message
    > In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
    > graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
    >
    > Steve

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
    > graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?

    Riviera is going to be one of the most beautiful games ever.
    Here's the video:
    http://www.sting.co.jp/riviera/download/image/riv_pv100_l.mpg

    Paypack is a fully 3D version of GTA, and looks like this:
    http://www.planetgameboy.de/videos.php (scroll down a little and click
    on "zum Video" next to "Highlight: Payback").

    Jammet
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Hi, David!

    On 10/12/04 3:29 AM, in article 20041012102906.10348a9e@localhost, "David
    Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote:

    >> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
    >> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
    >
    > Riviera is going to be one of the most beautiful games ever.
    > Here's the video:
    > http://www.sting.co.jp/riviera/download/image/riv_pv100_l.mpg

    Man, that's a heck of a video. It's longer than most theatrical movie
    trailers! :-) Any indication whether it'll be released in English in the
    US?

    > Paypack is a fully 3D version of GTA, and looks like this:
    > http://www.planetgameboy.de/videos.php (scroll down a little and click
    > on "zum Video" next to "Highlight: Payback").

    Hmmm! Believe it or not, this game (a kind of Grand Theft Auto clone) was
    first released several years ago on the Amiga!

    Steve

    > Jammet
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Hi, Mike,

    On 10/11/04 10:58 PM, in article ROKdneebzeX4y_bcRVn-ow@comcast.com, "Mike
    Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Steven Folberg wrote:
    >> Hi, Mike...
    >
    > Howdy!
    >
    >> Mike Tyndall wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I
    >>> might pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly
    >>> blow me away (even though they looked pretty good).
    >>
    >> What kind of game is Golden Sun?
    >
    > It's an RPG; many would say the best one on GBA. It's developed by Camelot
    > (Mario Golf, Mario Tennis), and it's a good one. I don't know whether
    > you're into RPGs, but Golden Sun is a good place to start if you're
    > interested.

    Yes, I like RPG's quite a bit. Oddly enough, I was eyeing a used copy of the
    sequel to Golden Sun (can't remember the title offhand) today at EB Games.
    The clerk said that I'd really want to play the first installment in the
    series before that one, since the latter picks up where the former left off.
    True?

    Steve
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    >>> What kind of game is Golden Sun?
    >>
    >> It's an RPG; many would say the best one on GBA. It's developed by
    >> Camelot (Mario Golf, Mario Tennis), and it's a good one. I don't
    >> know whether you're into RPGs, but Golden Sun is a good place to
    >> start if you're interested.
    >
    > Yes, I like RPG's quite a bit. Oddly enough, I was eyeing a used copy
    > of the sequel to Golden Sun (can't remember the title offhand) today
    > at EB Games. The clerk said that I'd really want to play the first
    > installment in the series before that one, since the latter picks up
    > where the former left off. True?

    Yep. The story stops after a huge boss fight in the first one, then picks
    up again with a different party in the next, who then meet up with the
    original party. By using a link cable or a gigantic password, you can
    transfer your characters (complete with inventories and stats) from the
    original Golden Sun into The Lost Age (the sequel), so that the original
    party remains the same. You meet up with the original characters about
    halfway through GS2, so you have until then to enter your password.

    Some advice, though: Make sure to get all the Djinni (or is that the
    singular? Djinni, Djinn, whatever) in the original Golden Sun! They'll help
    not only in the first game but also in the sequel.
    --
    //mike tyndall
    "Your GP or your HP!" - Thief

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Candy Nintendo Video Games