Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Great moments in GBA eye candy?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:23:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?

Steve
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:23:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Steven Folberg wrote:
> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?

It's not coming out in America, and I've only seen videos, but Asterix &
Obelix XXL might qualify. It's not exactly beautiful, but it is impressive.
It's a 3D platformer on the GBA! Here are some screenshots and videos:

http://media.gameboy.ign.com/media/665/665185/imgs_1.ht...

Velez & Dubail (the developers) have done a lot of other impressive 3D work
on the GBA. I haven't actually played any of their games, though :) 

The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I might
pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly blow me away
(even though they looked pretty good).
--
//mike tyndall
"Mmm! Power lines and paint chips! My childhood rocks!"
-Fighter (flashback), www.nuklearpower.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:37:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Hi, Mike...


On 10/11/04 6:14 PM, in article aZudnadwG-EnhfbcRVn-rg@comcast.com, "Mike
Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Steven Folberg wrote:
>> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
>> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
>
> It's not coming out in America, and I've only seen videos, but Asterix &
> Obelix XXL might qualify. It's not exactly beautiful, but it is impressive.
> It's a 3D platformer on the GBA! Here are some screenshots and videos:
>
> http://media.gameboy.ign.com/media/665/665185/imgs_1.ht...

Wow, that's pretty amazing stuff. I didn't think the GBA could pull that
kind of 3D off. The action looks pretty monotonous after awhile, though.

>
> Velez & Dubail (the developers) have done a lot of other impressive 3D work
> on the GBA. I haven't actually played any of their games, though :) 
>
> The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I might
> pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly blow me away
> (even though they looked pretty good).

What kind of game is Golden Sun?

Steve
Related resources
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:37:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Steven Folberg wrote:
> Hi, Mike...

Howdy!

> Mike Tyndall wrote:
>> Steven Folberg wrote:
>>> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
>>> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
>>
>> The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I
>> might pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly
>> blow me away (even though they looked pretty good).
>
> What kind of game is Golden Sun?

It's an RPG; many would say the best one on GBA. It's developed by Camelot
(Mario Golf, Mario Tennis), and it's a good one. I don't know whether
you're into RPGs, but Golden Sun is a good place to start if you're
interested.

Side note that's not really related: Camelot Software Planning started as
Sonic Software Planning (Sonic as in "the Hedgehog," I would guess), and
developed all the Shining Force games and Shining in the Darkness. They
also did the original Hot Shots Golf on PSOne (as Camelot).
--
//mike tyndall
Red Mage: "Nautical, schmautical. Give me one hour and I'll know enough to
sail us into *orbit*!"
Fighter: "I don't think-"
Red Mage: "Orbit, I say!"
www.nuklearpower.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:33:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Ditto on Golden Sun. I also really like the look of Mario and Luigi
Superstar Saga. Yeah its 2d, but the color palette and animation are
amazing.

"Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message
news:BD907219.1AB14%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net...
> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
>
> Steve
>
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:29:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In reply to Steven Folberg

> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?

Riviera is going to be one of the most beautiful games ever.
Here's the video:
http://www.sting.co.jp/riviera/download/image/riv_pv100...

Paypack is a fully 3D version of GTA, and looks like this:
http://www.planetgameboy.de/videos.php (scroll down a little and click
on "zum Video" next to "Highlight: Payback").

Jammet
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:43:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Hi, David!


On 10/12/04 3:29 AM, in article 20041012102906.10348a9e@localhost, "David
Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote:

> In reply to Steven Folberg
>
>> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
>> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
>
> Riviera is going to be one of the most beautiful games ever.
> Here's the video:
> http://www.sting.co.jp/riviera/download/image/riv_pv100...

Man, that's a heck of a video. It's longer than most theatrical movie
trailers! :-) Any indication whether it'll be released in English in the
US?

>
> Paypack is a fully 3D version of GTA, and looks like this:
> http://www.planetgameboy.de/videos.php (scroll down a little and click
> on "zum Video" next to "Highlight: Payback").

Hmmm! Believe it or not, this game (a kind of Grand Theft Auto clone) was
first released several years ago on the Amiga!

Steve

>
> Jammet
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:51:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Hi, Mike,


On 10/11/04 10:58 PM, in article ROKdneebzeX4y_bcRVn-ow@comcast.com, "Mike
Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Steven Folberg wrote:
>> Hi, Mike...
>
> Howdy!
>
>> Mike Tyndall wrote:
>>> Steven Folberg wrote:
>>>> In the learned opinions of the NG's experts (you) what are the most
>>>> graphically beautiful GBA games yet released?
>>>
>>> The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I
>>> might pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly
>>> blow me away (even though they looked pretty good).
>>
>> What kind of game is Golden Sun?
>
> It's an RPG; many would say the best one on GBA. It's developed by Camelot
> (Mario Golf, Mario Tennis), and it's a good one. I don't know whether
> you're into RPGs, but Golden Sun is a good place to start if you're
> interested.

Yes, I like RPG's quite a bit. Oddly enough, I was eyeing a used copy of the
sequel to Golden Sun (can't remember the title offhand) today at EB Games.
The clerk said that I'd really want to play the first installment in the
series before that one, since the latter picks up where the former left off.
True?
>

Steve
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:51:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

>>>> The only GBA games I've played are the ones I own. Out of those, I
>>>> might pick Golden Sun or its sequel; still, those didn't exactly
>>>> blow me away (even though they looked pretty good).
>>>
>>> What kind of game is Golden Sun?
>>
>> It's an RPG; many would say the best one on GBA. It's developed by
>> Camelot (Mario Golf, Mario Tennis), and it's a good one. I don't
>> know whether you're into RPGs, but Golden Sun is a good place to
>> start if you're interested.
>
> Yes, I like RPG's quite a bit. Oddly enough, I was eyeing a used copy
> of the sequel to Golden Sun (can't remember the title offhand) today
> at EB Games. The clerk said that I'd really want to play the first
> installment in the series before that one, since the latter picks up
> where the former left off. True?

Yep. The story stops after a huge boss fight in the first one, then picks
up again with a different party in the next, who then meet up with the
original party. By using a link cable or a gigantic password, you can
transfer your characters (complete with inventories and stats) from the
original Golden Sun into The Lost Age (the sequel), so that the original
party remains the same. You meet up with the original characters about
halfway through GS2, so you have until then to enter your password.

Some advice, though: Make sure to get all the Djinni (or is that the
singular? Djinni, Djinn, whatever) in the original Golden Sun! They'll help
not only in the first game but also in the sequel.
--
//mike tyndall
"Your GP or your HP!" - Thief
www.nuklearpower.com
!