BSOD for no apparent reason, now not able to boot up

snoring

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Last night my HP desktop computer (Windows Vista) was idling for 30 minutes or so and when I came back to it, it had BSOD'd and I got a typical stop error message with the following: "STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8E4E892E, 0x8789476C, 0x00000000)". No changes have been made to the computer, neither software nor hardware.
At first I was able to get back into windows a couple times by just restarting the computer until it works. Most of the time it will not boot past the BIOS screen. If I try to enter the setup or windows recovery from the bios screen it'll say "Entering setup..." but it never gets past that. I've tried using a memtest disk but it will not boot the disk and since I can't get into the BIOS, I cannot check the boot order, however I would expect that it's set to boot from the cd-drive first.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Quoted from http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm There's some links that could add some more insight into the stop error on the website.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0x1000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Essentially the same error as 0x8E above.