New Tower, Upgraded the Video Card for WoW Ultra

BigManC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hey guys, I've been reading up on the WoW posts and ive learned alot. The only difference with my situation and my own is that im starting fresh! I might be going to best buy to get a quad core pc with stock video card, and purchasing a new high video card. Any suggestions on what card i should get? For a card i was looking in the $115-$150 range. Thanks guys!

WaywardX

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Depending on resoultion, if all your playing is WoW you could save a bit of cash and get an HD5770, it ran WoW at ultra on my 1600x900 HP monitor just fine. It is also likely to run a bit cooler than a 460 which could be a factor considering most off the shelf pc's tend to have minimal case fans/ventilation.

BigManC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Great! I was thinking of getting a 22' or 23' LCD Monitor that came with the tower. Would this have a big affect on how fast it runs (fps). I did read that I will be lowering my shadow level because i dont really care about that. Just wanna be prepared for higher end FPS tests like Raiding (if you are WoW Savey)

I then did a little research on the 5770, and i found that if i have a 22' to 23' LCD screen its gonna bring down the fps to the 45 fps range which is something i dont want, so would it be more useful if i just got a small screen with this card, or go better card so i can have a bigger screen? Thanks for your time everyone!

More than screen size it's resolution. I'd go with a 1920x1080 22"-24" monitor and if you need to you can adjust down to 1680x1050 in WoW video options. I'd still go with the GTX460, but the 5770 is a viable option at lower resolutions if your budget needs it. As an example my brother uses a 5670 graphic card at 1440x900 resolution with his 22" monitor for his WoW raiding.

BigManC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

Now, does your brother have successful raiding with that, meaning no fps problems when hes doing higher level raiding lvl 80+ cata raids? Because thats what I wanna be prepared for. Im only lvl 73 now, but when i get to that level I wanna be ready to take on the higher raids. So what your saying is stick with the 23' along with the GTX 460? they should run good, and let me play ultra?

He has no problems in Cata raiding, even his PvP in Tol Barad is playable. He does not use Ultra settings though and has adjusted his video settings to keep his FPS up with things like low shadow settings and no water enabled or sunshafts. So yes i'd stick with the 23" monitor and the GTX460 as long as it fits your budget. Much of WoW depends on your latency/connection, no matter what your hardware is that may put limits in some very player intensive areas (Tol Barad) for example.

WoW prefers Nvidia cards. There is a big drop off from the GTX 460 to 5770:

Nvidia%20Ultra%20Graphics%201920.png

AMD%20Ultra%20Graphics%201920.png