IBM T-20, EEPROM checksum error on POST ??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 12:41:17 AM

Anyone know how to fix this,
On start up I get
ERROR CODE 0175, CRC-1 error.
That is a EEPROM checksum srror.
What do I do?
I need the info from the harddrive!
Thanks,
Pat in NJ
Pasquale.NJ@Verizon.Net
June 9, 2005 1:33:40 AM

news.bellatlantic.net <Pasquale.NJ@verizon.net> wrote:
: Anyone know how to fix this,
: On start up I get
: ERROR CODE 0175, CRC-1 error.
: That is a EEPROM checksum srror.

IBM (now Lenovo) has pretty good support on their website - did you
look there to see what the problem might be? Maybe a dead CMOS
battery?

: What do I do?
: I need the info from the harddrive!

If you just need the info from the hard drive, you can buy a 2.5" USB hard
drive enclosure and plug the drive into some other computer to get the
info off of it.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> news.bellatlantic.net <Pasquale.NJ@verizon.net> wrote:
> : Anyone know how to fix this,
> : On start up I get
> : ERROR CODE 0175, CRC-1 error.
> : That is a EEPROM checksum srror.
>
> IBM (now Lenovo) has pretty good support on their website - did you
> look there to see what the problem might be? Maybe a dead CMOS
> battery?
>
> : What do I do?
> : I need the info from the harddrive!
>
> If you just need the info from the hard drive, you can buy a 2.5"
USB hard
> drive enclosure and plug the drive into some other computer to get
the
> info off of it.
>
> Andrew

There is an easier way to get the info off of the HDD. You can buy an
inexpensive adapter to fit 2.5" drives that let you use a standard IDE
cable and connect it to a desktop. Set the jumper on the laptop HDD to
Slave if necessary.

It sound like a dead CMOS battery which aren't too difficult to
change. Check out the TP News Group at ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad and also
the Forum and thinkpads.com

Good luck

Chas.
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 1:50:30 AM

For fixing eprom checksum errors you can check out this site:

http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/crc_repair.htm

As others have said, you can always hook the hard drive up to another
computer to get the data you need until you get your laptop operational
again.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 5:35:53 AM

That is a problem in the BIOS, and it can not be cured by ordinary
means. Basically you need to replace the system board. There are some
guys out there that can do the fix, but I think that now adays you can
just replace the board cheaper. And remember, if you use a T21 or T22
fan, you can up the CPU to 1 GHZ.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:41:17 GMT, "news.bellatlantic.net"
<Pasquale.NJ@Verizon.net> wrote:

>Anyone know how to fix this,
>On start up I get
>ERROR CODE 0175, CRC-1 error.
>That is a EEPROM checksum srror.
>What do I do?
>I need the info from the harddrive!
>Thanks,
>Pat in NJ
>Pasquale.NJ@Verizon.Net

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 11:48:57 AM

news.bellatlantic.net wrote:
> Anyone know how to fix this,
> On start up I get
> ERROR CODE 0175, CRC-1 error.
> That is a EEPROM checksum srror.
> What do I do?
> I need the info from the harddrive!
> Thanks,
> Pat in NJ
> Pasquale.NJ@Verizon.Net

it's time to change the cmos battery.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 10:49:26 PM

No, it's not
Time to change the system board

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:48:57 -0400, Albert Wong <noone@nowhere.000>
wrote:

>news.bellatlantic.net wrote:
>> Anyone know how to fix this,
>> On start up I get
>> ERROR CODE 0175, CRC-1 error.
>> That is a EEPROM checksum srror.
>> What do I do?
>> I need the info from the harddrive!
>> Thanks,
>> Pat in NJ
>> Pasquale.NJ@Verizon.Net
>>

>it's time to change the cmos battery.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 10:49:27 PM

"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> No, it's not
> Time to change the system board
<snip>

Na! I've had it happen many times over a number of years on different
TPs when I stopped them while they were going through POST.

Rebooting or going into the BIOS if there was an F1 message fixed the
problem. Also, the first boot after the CMOS battery has been R & R
can also give one of these messages.

Chas.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 16, 2005 5:00:19 AM

NOT the CRC checksum error. THat one is not recoverable

!