$500-700 Build, I have a list just need input. Not a first time build!

inficere

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Sup dudes, so this is what I got:

Desktop from Scratch. Do not need a monitor, do not need an OS.

Pretty damn sure:
CPU: i5-2400
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3
CASE: Antec 300 Illusion

Unsure:

OPTICAL DRIVE: LG DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH22NS50 Bulk – OEM VS ???

*Note* Would love Blu-ray but don't want to break the bank...

HDD:
Samsung F3 1tb VS Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

GPU: At a later date I guess... this is getting expensive but I would rather get the important future-proof parts (mobo, cpu and just upgrade the vid card in a month or two)

Let me know what you think so far, and if you can provide any input or alternatives. I'm not worried about spending the extra cash to get something better, as long as it's not tons more.. Like what I did by adding $60 for quad core, which is good for the long run).

Thanks very much.

striker410

Distinguished
^Don't take heed of PSU advice. That was a crappy suggestion.
Nice job on ram and CPU. Keep those for sure.

At $65, that Antec 650w is pretty damn good. Keep it.

The HAF 912 is my pick. But if the illusion is still on sale when you buy, get it.

HDD: Spinpoint F3 BY A LONG SHOT. I have one, it screams.

For a Blu ray player, there's a good Samsung dvd+ bluray: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151232&cm_re=blu_ray-_-27-151-232-_-Product It's only $65. Not bad.

For a GPU, depends how much money you have, and what you wanna do. For gaming, go for at least a 6870. If you have more, get a GTX 560 Ti. Even more? A 6950.

I see no motherboard.

Hope that helps!

inficere

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks a lot Striker! Good looking out. Have no idea how I left out he motherboard.. but I'm looking at either..

A) MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

B) GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

C) ASRock P67 PRO3 SE LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Any preferences? Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Also just wondering if that PSU will be strong enough to run some of the better video cards.. I will want to max BF3, ideally...?

striker410

Distinguished
Well, hard to make good suggestions without knowing what your budget is.

But for motherboard, the Gigabyte hands down. It will allow you to use IGP if you ever need to troubleshoot, has SLI, has 7.1 audio, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

And for PSU question, that PSU will easily run up to a GTX 570/6970, and probably even a GTX 580. It can SLI 2 560 Ti's even.

inficere

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
A few more developments as my research continues... =P

1) I'm going to use my 32" HDTV ( Specific model is: Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L32C3 ) as a monitor for the meantime..

2) So this means, I will need either DVI or HDMI output yes? Are there any certain mobo's that accomodate this or am I going to run into a problem? I see that the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 has two HDMI inputs as well as an PC Input = D-sub 15-pin x 1

3) Won't have a Video Card for a few months, so just wondering what kind of games I could play with the on board graphics..

4) Any suggestions for MOBO's under $150 preferably would be good. I will start ordering parts tomorrow, or tonight if everything looks good.

striker410

Distinguished
I know you're looking for a second opinion, but I'm gonna give my thoughts once again/

I would get the Z68 D3H. The only beef I have with it is that it doesn't have full 7.1 audio, but isn't required unless you have said audio system lol.

With the Intel IGP Graphics 2000, you won't be able to game, pretty much at all. However, You can grab a cheap 5670 or 5570 (~$60) and throw that in there until you get a better card. Now the reason I suggest this is because it's surprisingly easy to sell these. Both cards don't require a 6 pin PCI cable, meaning they will work in almost all prebuilt machines.

Why is this important? Tell one of your buddies that you will sell them the card and install it for like $40 :D I once sold a GT 220 that i stripped from a free machine for $30 this way. Just tell them they can actually play games with it as long as they have a dual core.

Well I've rambled enough, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, is the tv full HD (1080) ?

inficere

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for the info man!!!

It isn't important (as far as the vid card is concerned, im just looking to maybe play D2 or SC2 until games later this year)

The TV isn't full HD 1080p, it's 720p, so I guess I'm not really going to need a BluRay player at this point in time, right? =P