Sign in with
Your question

Are my temps okay? First build, kinda worried!

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2011 10:27:32 PM

Hello,

I just finished building my first computer:

i3 2100
2x2gb ddr3 ram
ati hd 6870
750W psu

I have a CM HAF 912 case with 6 fans: 2 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust, and 1 side intake.

Here are my temps (idle/load):
cpu: 33C/49C
gpu: 47C/83C

I played WoW for like 3 hrs (did my daily BG, BH 25 for the week, and then a couple of AV) and those were the temps I ended my session with.

are those temps normal?

I have a non modular psu so my case bottom has a bunch of heavy unused cables just lying there. Ofc, I've neatly organized them!

Are my temps normal considering my case and fans?

I remember Striker told me that they were ok, so I went ahead and re organized my case, but do you think the fact that my house is 81F would have something to do with higher temps in my computer?

Thanks

a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2011 10:35:26 PM

CPU is ok, GPU is a little hot. You could try flipping the side fan to exhaust, might help. I'm no pro on airflow, but that GPU is hot. Cool it down somehow.
m
l
June 10, 2011 10:37:40 PM

ok.

what should optimal temp be?

also do you think it might be my room? cuz its 81F in here lol
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2011 10:38:09 PM

Yes your temps are fine. Your GPU is running a little hot but not near its limit, your CPU is good. Start worrying if your GPU runs over 90 C and if your CPU gets over 65 C. Even at those temps you would be OK, but I'd consider extra aftermarket cooling if I reached such temps regularly.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2011 10:42:12 PM

Lol, you probably wanna listen to chester. he's got a GTX 470 ^_^
m
l
June 10, 2011 11:49:25 PM

The GPU is a bit warm, but not dangerous. A 6870 can be expected to run warm, though. If it runs any hotter, I'd consider adding another case fan, or replacing one with a faster one.

It is possible to replace the cooler on the card with a better one, but it's not a trivial job - don't attempt it unless you are confident in your abilities.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 13, 2011 6:19:43 AM

Check out MSI Afterburner. It will work fine on your video card. I also has the ability to dynamically manage the fan speed based on the tempurature of the GPU. that should allow you to keep the temps around 50-60 degrees C.

You can get MSI afterburner here: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R6870-2PM2D1GD5.html#/?d...
m
l
!