Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pentium 4 3.2 ghz HT Build

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2011 11:29:26 PM

Hi, I have an old dell dimension 8400 with a pentium 4 Ht technology at 3.2 ghz, ati 5550 hd graphics card, additional pci graphics card for 3rd monitor and 4 gigabytes of memory and a 7200 rpm hard drive and 2 ide dvd drives.. running wn xp.

System only shows 2.75 gb ram. Used to show 3.75 gb before installing the additional graphics card.

I am a commodity trader and I have 3 screens attached with 40 charts running at once and about 5 browsers and a news feed all with streaming real time data. The processor is able to handle everything except there are a few lags here and there. Especially when I open up a browser, there is a 3 second hang.

So I want to get a motherboard that supports my current cpu, graphics cards, ide dvd drives and also supports at least 8 gb of ram(Do I need more?) on windows 7 64 bit pro.

Also, is ddr 3 faster than ddr 2?

thanks

More about : pentium ghz build

a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2011 12:00:15 AM

The RAM "loss" is your 32 bit OS which can only "see" about 3.3 gig of RAM including the memory on the gfx cards installed .

The pentium is such legacy hardware that finding a motherboard to fit , and esp to fit a dell case is probably impossible .

You could just install 64 bit Win 7 on that machine , but the smart money says build from scratch and then transfer all your settings and data to a new machine using the setting s wizard .
No chance of data loss , no down time , and surely affordable

Antec sonata case w/ power supply
intel i3 2100
2 x2 gig of RAM
H67 motherboard with vga, DVI and HDMI outputs
as many hard drives as you want . Id install at least TWO in RAID 1 so you have real time data back up
use the gfx card if you need it [ depends on the monitors you have and their connectors ]
a sata dvd drive
win 7 PRO 64 bit

Its not worth messing about IMO .
Do it right first time
m
l
June 11, 2011 12:15:49 AM

thanks for the reply. I agree with you about doing it right the first time, however I just want to use my current cpu. I have tried other high end quad core and dual core cpus which really don't perform much better than my current cpu for my purposes at least.. So why spend 125$ for it.

So there is no motherboard that will support my cpu? If this is the case, then I will have to buy that cpu u recommended.

also, it does not have to fit a dell case. I am getting a new case.

thanks
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2011 4:11:02 AM

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... should meet your requirements. You'll need to buy DDR3 memory modules. Is your CPU a 541?

I probably wouldn't perform that upgrade; I'd follow Outlander_04's advice and build a new system. All you're adding is the cost of an i3 2100.
June 11, 2011 5:50:20 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Its a 540.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2011 1:14:48 PM

That motherboard will support the 540 as well as much newer socket 775 processors.
m
l
June 11, 2011 5:03:55 PM

Thanks thats the perfect motherboard for my needs.

1. What's the best ddr 3 1600 memory that's compatible with this board?

2. can you pls recommend a cheap cooler that will fit in that motherboard?

Thanks again.

m
l
June 11, 2011 5:04:37 PM

Best answer selected by deanm007.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2011 8:06:10 PM

deanm007 said:
Thanks thats the perfect motherboard for my needs.

1. What's the best ddr 3 1600 memory that's compatible with this board?

2. can you pls recommend a cheap cooler that will fit in that motherboard?

Thanks again.
You don't need 1600 MHz memory, particularly with that older CPU. If you check the QVL you'll see that it should be downgraded to 1333 MHz. Either get a kit that's on the QVL or something like this 8 GB G.Skill kit (4 x 2 GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... if you really want 1600 MHz memory. It might be easier to get 1333 MHz memory stable, particularly when using 4 modules.

If you can't reuse the current CPU cooler and you don't plan on overclocking, then a stock Intel cooler would be fine (it should be one that can cool a 541 or better CPU). You can also check what's available at Newegg. A really cheap cooler isn't always a good investment. You need to determine if noise is an issue, etc.
m
l
June 12, 2011 4:46:33 AM

ok thanks. I forgot to ask, is my cpu compatible with windows 7 64 bit?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2011 12:02:24 PM

I knew that the 541 is a 64-bit processor, but I should have checked the 540 at http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27466. Unfortunately the 540 is a 32-bit processor that can only address 4 GB of memory and is not compatible with Windows 7 64-bit.

A new build is your only solution.
m
l
!