Will cpu bottleneck gpu? and crysis 2.

adityagoela

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
it depends on what resolution do you play at.
if you use 1680X1050 then at highest settings it will be around 35 fps which is playable.

but if you play on a higher resolution then you can only play it at medium settings.

and it wont bottleneck your 6870.

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
why cant i play 1920x1080 ? higher res = less cpu used and more gpu use
Uhm, no. When you increase the resolution, the GPU works more (obviously), but this implies that the CPU has to work harder to send more info back and forth to the GPU. So overall higher res = more cpu used and more gpu used.

[:lectrocrew:1] Some people shouldnt be allowed to post with out sitting an exam.

At higher resolutions the GPU has more to do the CPU has the exact same to do. The difference comes when you are already being restricted by your CPU. When this is the case the fact that the GPU is working that bit harder means its rendering frames at a slower FPS. This means the CPU has a split second longer to calculate whats needed for the next frame and can result in higher FPS. Not always but sometimes.

Mactronix :)

The only correction is that we are talking about a 6870. I would think a 6970 at a very low resolution might be an issue.

namansingh

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

Thanks, that was just a typing mistake.

Yea that was probably a bit harsh, sorry about that :) Nothing personal at all just one of those questions we keep getting asked and people keep posting that there will be a bottleneck when there just plain wont be.
Caught me on a bad day usually im a very nice guy