Strange problem with BIOS?

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
So I just bought Deus Ex HR, and I decided to clock my RAM (OCZ 1600 MHZ RAM, 8 gigs) to 1600MHz to squeeze out a few extra frames in anticipation of playing the game. When I did this, windows didnt load, which happens every now and then btw, so I decided to set the speed to 1333MHz instead. However, when I restarted the computer, something strange happened. It said that it couldnt detect my keyboard or mouse (which were plugged into the mobo's usb ports in the back. And because of this I couldnt change anything in the Bios because when it loaded it said "Error: Invalid Input Range"...
So I plugged the keyboard and mouse into the USB ports in the front of my case, and the keyboard was recognized. However when i tried to do anything in the BIOS, the same error message came up, but this time i could press the 'ok' button and dismiss the message. But when i did this the bios just froze. Even after clearing the cmos and trying again, this still happens. Now I cant fix anything because the BIOS is unusable.

Here are my specs just fyi:
AMD Phenom II x4 955
Asus Crosshair V 990fx
8 gigs of OCZ 1600 MHz ram, 2GBx4
NVidia geforce gtx 295
xtreme gamer xfi soundcard
Corsair 750HX 750w psu
OCZ vertex 2 60gb ssd used as a boot drive
WD Caviar Black 1TB drive
24x DVD burner

Now Ive tried booting with 1 stick of RAM in, with no SATA devices plugged in, and the same thing happens?

Any thoughts on what in the world happened or how to fix this? Quick help would be really appreciated as i need this computer for more than just games.

Agreed.

See your motherboard manual for how to do this. unless you've causes some sort of damage, your BIOS settings will be set to default.

Other points:
1) update your BIOS if a new one exists (may add a profile for your RAM if it's not there)
2) don't overclock RAM beyond recommended specs
3) your RAM is not a source of bottleneck so overclocking it makes no difference to games. Choose the recommended RAM speed.
4) run MEMTEST any time you've changed RAM settings