New PC: Sandy/Ivy or SBE/Patsburg D?

cyber_Bruno

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Community,
I'm currently researching building a new gaming computer and it seems things have gotten significantly more involved with the current-day processors, so I'm going to need a little advice. My current rig is running a C2D (E6750) from 2007, so I've been a little out of the loop.
As it is, there's strong temptation of a Sandy Bridge 2600K with the intent of swapping into an Ivy Bridge by means of a Z77 motherboard (I admittedly haven't done research of Z77 boards yet beyond the Wikipedia page.) However, I'm aware of the upcoming X79 (specifically Patsburg D) specification that, at least as far as some seemingly not-yet-finalized specs are concerned, will be able to run PCIe 3.0 in x16/x16/x8 configuration. I'm planning to use two graphics cards, so this is admittedly a nice step up from the x8/x8 setup the Ivy Bridge will be able to handle. So I'm a bit torn, to say the least. The inclusion of USB 3.0 in Ivy Bridge capabilities also sweetens the deal in that direction. I guess I'm wondering if there is anything I've missed in my research, or how great the performance difference will really be (I have my feelings, but I also trust the community of people who follow this sort of thing closer than myself).
Currently the most demanding games the rig will be running will be Battlefield 3 or Metro 2033, depending on your opinions, but I do want a significant bit of future proofing.

Thanks in advance!

abdussamad

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
The sandy bridge chipset is the 6 series one:

h61/67 - budget
p67 - overclocking
z68 - high end

The ones you are referring to must be the yet to be released chipsets for ivy bridge. Ivy bridge CPUs and chipsets will be released mid 2012.

Actually you can install an ivy bridge CPU in any mobo with a 6series chipset after performing a BIOS update. At least that is what we've been reading on tech sites

Sandy bridge is pretty good so I suggest buying now. Mention your budget and what parts you need (CPU, mobo etc.) if you want advice on which specific parts to buy.

Tin88

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Ivy Bridge is going to be delayed til march 2012 and also most likely will not be unlocked cpus. Search for Sandy Bridge E, its the newest release due out Q4 of 2011. It will be 4 core 6 core and 8. I was all set to build my first gaming for MW3 and BF3 til i found out about SNB-E. 10-15MB Cache for the CPU. support for more SATA III ports. Mostly likely October will be the release, or atleast and the earliest. The link is translated from Chinese via google so it doesnt make a whole lotta sense in some sentences.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://news.mydrivers.com/1/199/199570.htm&usg=ALkJrhhfBJUL5k8nncQViDXUSXYh-Co33Q

Another Link says it was posted in 2010 but its the same info as what i read on the chinese site
http://semiaccurate.com/2010/04/15/intels-patsburg-replace-x58-2011/

cuecuemore

Distinguished
I'm looking forward to SB-E, which will be the enthusiast platform, even though it would make a lot more sense as far as nomenclature for Ivy Bridge to fill that spot... SB-E will be a completely different 32nm architecture whereas IB will be a 22nm die shrink on the 1155 socket. SB-E will succeed the X58/LGA 1366 architecture, and feature more powerful overclocking options than SB, i.e. a flexible BCLK, QPI, etc. So it all depends what you're willing to spend I guess. IB might be a better value than SB-E, but that's not going to stop me from upgrading to the newest enthusiast platform:) :)

cyber_Bruno

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Abdu,
You're right. After taking a second look now I missed the all important "Release Date" row in the table on the Wikipedia LGA 1155 entry and figured the Z77 chipset was already available. My apologies. It seems I was getting ahead of myself.

On the whole regarding the build.
I'll be using dual graphics cards, which is new territory for me. Still debating between 6970/6950's or GTX580's.
8-32GB of ram will be used depending on what the board can handle. I like making videos as a personal hobby, so the more the better.
For a motherboard I guess a Z68 board is going to be the choice if I go the SB/IB route. If there's a good enough candidate out there something already with two PCIe 3.0 slots would be awesome, but Newegg's results are looking a bit slim. I'm looking through those options now, but maybe there's something I'm missing there? I still may end up eventually swapping to a Z77 chipset board in a year's time if there's good enough reason for it, but if it can be avoided I'm not going to complain. :D

Pricewise I really don't have a true limit beyond personal logic, and given the community here seems to have enough opinions and usually offers options I intentionally didn't mention it in the first post. I'd be more willing to shell out for the LGA 2011 chips if I can get more definitive evidence of support for two PCIe 3.0 x16 lanes. Right now all my searching has turned up muddy on that matter, and honestly I'd go SB/IB in that case.

Anyone got anything to convince me? ;)

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi cyber_Bruno :hello: . I'd take it easy & stick to the Ivy Bridge combination ;) . You can't go wrong with that at all :) .

TRENDING THREADS