Worth the Extra Money for an X79 LGA 2011 or i5 z77 is enough?

I will be doing Full HD video editing (20% of the time) Recorded with Canon 550D (T2i).
And I will also be doing photo editing in photo shop where I will probably be opening 5 photos each 18 megapixel (6-10 mb per picture)

Now, I was wondering if a z77 board with (i5 either Sandy or Ivy) with 4GB x 2 ram running in Dual channel Can fit my need.

Or am I better off with an x79 i7 3820, quad channel Ram 2GB x 4 Or MOST PROBABLY 4GB x 4.

The thing is, I just realised, the High End Z77 i'm after (Asus Sabertooth) is more expensive than a Low end x79 (Asrock Extreme 3 or MSI z79 G-45). (only 4 Ram slots on these low end boards)

And the reason i'm having my eyes on this chipeset is cuz I believe Quad memory makes all the difference in the world (true?)

But if something 'fits my needs' then I don't think spending more is worth it.

So what do you guys think? am I better off with z77 route or x79?
7 answers Last reply
More about worth extra money 2011 enough
  1. Go for the z77 and an ivy bridge cpu; they're a much better value than a socket 2011 setup. Both the cpu and board cost at least double the price of an ivy bridge combo. The 3570 is an excellent value when overclocked.
  2. Thanks for your suggestion.

But here's an interesting thought,
    If someone sells me a PC for $1 for a 6 year old PC. It's "the best value for money'.
    But best value for money doesn't mean it fits my needs.

All I really want to know is that my full hD video editing and 18 megapixel shots editing in photoshop can fulfill my needs by an Ivy Bridge route where I have Rams in Dual channel.
  3. Ofourse if I have the money, it's always best to go for the best.
    But then again, if something cheaper fits my needs, there's no reason to get the better one than what I need. =p
  4. I would go for x79 only if u will get the 6core.
  5. For Video -- LGA 2011 is a no brainer! Frankly any rendering LGA 2011 pays for itself. The i7-3930K is an awesome CPU and performs nearly as good as the i7-3960X but at 1/2 it's price. I love mine! ;) OC'ing to 4.7GHz~4.8GHz is very easy.

IF you live close to a Micro Center $500 i7-3930K - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0376493

ref - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3930k-3820-test-benchmark,3090-7.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Intel i5 Product