Megxon digital cameras any good?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 3, 2005 10:23:48 PM

I notice there are now lots of Megxon cameras for sale at very decent
prices.
C500 at 10MP (with panasonic ccd) for around $200. Has any one used
one of these? are they any good? Should I buy one? I am just an
amateur photographer who like to have one in the pocket to take
pictures randomly while I am out and about in town.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:10:19 PM

Stephen <spmok2@canada.com> wrote:
> I notice there are now lots of Megxon cameras for sale at very decent
> prices.
> C500 at 10MP (with panasonic ccd) for around $200. Has any one used
> one of these? are they any good? Should I buy one? I am just an
> amateur photographer who like to have one in the pocket to take
> pictures randomly while I am out and about in town.

There was a thread on the C480 on rec.photo.digital.zlr back in
November, and nobody was impressed by anything but the price; even the
price isn't that impressive now.

Even the images on the manufacturer's site were poor - soft focus, too
much noise, dodgy colour, and the 8mp interpolated images (from the 4mp
sensor on the 480) looked like they'd been very crudely enlarged.

Surprisingly, Megxons are sold as Praktica in some parts of Europe...

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."
March 4, 2005 4:24:36 PM

Pete Fenelon wrote:
> Stephen <spmok2@canada.com> wrote:
> > I notice there are now lots of Megxon cameras for sale at very
decent
> > prices.
> > C500 at 10MP (with panasonic ccd) for around $200. Has any one
used
> > one of these? are they any good? Should I buy one? I am just an
> > amateur photographer who like to have one in the pocket to take
> > pictures randomly while I am out and about in town.
>
> There was a thread on the C480 on rec.photo.digital.zlr back in
> November, and nobody was impressed by anything but the price; even
the
> price isn't that impressive now.
>
> Even the images on the manufacturer's site were poor - soft focus,
too
> much noise, dodgy colour, and the 8mp interpolated images (from the
4mp
> sensor on the 480) looked like they'd been very crudely enlarged.
>
> Surprisingly, Megxons are sold as Praktica in some parts of Europe...
>
> pete
> --
> pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

What made me took notice is how small these cameras are we are talking
like 9cm in lenth by 5cm or so. Easily slip into your pants pocket. I
really would like to carry a camera around like I do a cell phone, but
only if its small enough.

The only other ones I know being small is hte canon powershot series ie
S20, S200, S400 etc. I am wondering if anyone else out there make
cameras small enough to fit in your pocket like Canon and Megxon do.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 4, 2005 7:56:35 PM

In article <1109971476.004702.59300@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, spmok2
@canada.com says...
> What made me took notice is how small these cameras are we are talking
> like 9cm in lenth by 5cm or so. Easily slip into your pants pocket. I
> really would like to carry a camera around like I do a cell phone, but
> only if its small enough.
>
> The only other ones I know being small is hte canon powershot series ie
> S20, S200, S400 etc. I am wondering if anyone else out there make
> cameras small enough to fit in your pocket like Canon and Megxon do.

Sony W series is small enough to fit in a pants pocket (so was the V-1 but
the V-3 isnt).

5mp 3x oprical zoom LARGE LCD screen.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In article <MPG.1c92a39dae21b93e98972a@news.individual.NET>,
larrylynch3rd@comcast.net says...
> In article <1109971476.004702.59300@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, spmok2
> @canada.com says...
> > What made me took notice is how small these cameras are we are talking
> > like 9cm in lenth by 5cm or so. Easily slip into your pants pocket. I
> > really would like to carry a camera around like I do a cell phone, but
> > only if its small enough.
> >
> > The only other ones I know being small is hte canon powershot series ie
> > S20, S200, S400 etc. I am wondering if anyone else out there make
> > cameras small enough to fit in your pocket like Canon and Megxon do.
> >

> Sony W series is small enough to fit in a pants pocket (so was the V-1 but
> the V-3 isnt).
>
> 5mp 3x oprical zoom LARGE LCD screen.

Oprical is similar to OPTICAL, but spelled different.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"Stephen" <spmok2@canada.com> wrote in message
> I notice there are now lots of Megxon cameras for sale at very decent
> prices.
> C500 at 10MP (with panasonic ccd) for around $200. Has any one used
> one of these? are they any good? Should I buy one? I am just an
> amateur photographer who like to have one in the pocket to take
> pictures randomly while I am out and about in town.

Have you considered a good USED digital camera?

I have had excellent results from two Ricoh RDC-5300 cameras, both of which
cost me under $65.00 each and came with cables, case, AC adapter and a full
suite of editing software. Zoom of 38-114mm, all-glass lens, macro focuses
to under 1 INCH! Fuji sensor, 2.3 MP, takes perfect 4x6 images (has the
same aspect ratio as a 35mm camera: 3:2) Uses standard rechargeable AA
cells, not a proprietary battery (expensive). Has LCD cover that closes
when camera is off, to protect the screen. Has an optical viewfinder that
magnifies image to approximate what the zoom lens sees, in addition to the
LCD screen. No lens cap needed, because it has an automatic lens barrier
that opens when camera is turned on and closes automatically when camera is
turned off. Has USB cable and standard serial cable, so you can easily
upload your images to your computer.

When it came out in 2000, it was a prosumer model. I cannot think of a much
better value on the used market right now--especially for someone like you
that wants to make ordinary snapshots. This camera makes a perfect 4x6,
without the need to crop to the 35mm aspect ratio.

Looks very similar to the Contax G2 or the Rollei AFM 35 camera. I've
uploaded images to OFOTO and have gotten very nice 8 x10 size back. While I
would recommend more megapixels if you will regularly be printing larger
sizes, this camera is ideal for standard 4x6 prints (300 pixels per inch).
I usually take my image files on a CD-RW to my local CVS pharmacy, and print
right there at the Kodak kiosk. The prints do NOT have that "digital" look
to them.

They regularly come up for auction, and I believe you will be quite happy
with all the features, especially the quality glass lens that includes
aspheric elements and is multicoated. If you can pick one up for under $100
it's a steal, especially considering that you get everything, including
ArcSoft editing and digital album software. The original camera came with a
VHS tape that explained how to use the camera, and introduced the features
of the software. It is often included with the camera when sold on eBay.

By the way, Ricoh camera models are now being marketed in the US by Rollei.
Ricoh camera are often undervalued and overlooked. If you want maximum bang
for the buck, this is where to look.
!