Motherboard For 1090t

1298ty

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I'm going to build a PC and I've settled on the Phenom II X6 1090t as my processor. There's more info below, but my question is: what is the most suitable motherboard considering my processor, budget, and needs?

AMD Phenom II x6 1090t
HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6850
Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower
12GB (3x4) DDR3 RAM
The Drives are TBD

Needs:
Video Editing/Encoding
Light Audio Editing/Encoding
Gaming
Web Browsing, etc.

Budget: With everything I listed above, the price comes to about $460. I'd love to stay under 600 for everything, but I'll probably end up closer to 700.

While I'm mostly concerned about the motherboard, if you have any other suggestions I'd gladly take them. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Well the first thing is your AMD processor uses Dual Channel memory so you don't want 12 GB. of RAM you want 8 GB., (2 x 4 GB.), as 16GB. is way overkill unless you are doing 3D rendering, Cad, etc.

As far as a mobo is concerned my first choice for quality and performance is always Gigabyte. If you're planning to just run a single video card then the GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ mobo will work well and allow upgrading to Bulldozer in the future. The GA-990XA-UD3 is also a good mobo.

You'll also need a quality PSU if you don't already have one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

beenthere

Distinguished
Well the first thing is your AMD processor uses Dual Channel memory so you don't want 12 GB. of RAM you want 8 GB., (2 x 4 GB.), as 16GB. is way overkill unless you are doing 3D rendering, Cad, etc.

As far as a mobo is concerned my first choice for quality and performance is always Gigabyte. If you're planning to just run a single video card then the GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ mobo will work well and allow upgrading to Bulldozer in the future. The GA-990XA-UD3 is also a good mobo.

You'll also need a quality PSU if you don't already have one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

Solution
I def recommend AM3+. Bulldozer will be here soon, so there's no reason not to. The motherboards are affordable.
I own the Gigabyte 990FX UD5 and I am very pleased with it. Probably overkill for your needs, but I am just echoing what was previously said about Gigabyte boards. Quite nice.

1298ty

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I like the number of features, and the price is perfect, but I forgot to mention that I may want to get two 6850s in CrossfireX one day. Is there a GigaByte model that does all that and supports CrossfireX?

1298ty

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

In the end, I decided to go with the GA-990-FX (for Crossfire), but I completely missed the Dual Channel Memory. Thanks for turning me on to Gigabyte, I almost bought an MSI..