System repeatedly fails to boot from 'off'

rwlomas

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've just finished building a new system and everything is running fine except for a problem booting up.

For some reason when i push the power button, the fans start, everything lights up, and it just hangs there for about 10 seconds, then it switches itself off and after about 5 more seconds it will start back up again and POST ok then load into windows with no issues. Sometimes the it will restart 2-3 times before successfully booting into windows.

My motherboard is a Asus P8Z68-V Pro, with Intel i5 2500k, G.Skill Ram 8gb (2x4) (1700), Antec Signature series PSU (850w), 2 WD 500gb Caviar black HDs, 1 OCZ 60gb SSD, DVD Drive, Lamptron Touch fan controller, 6 Fans + Megashadow HSF.

It happens every time i start my computer from the 'off' position; it never happens when i'm restarting from windows.

It happens whether I start with the power plugged in, or if i connect it prior to turning it on.

Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone have a fix or ways I could troubleshoot this?

Thanks for any assistance!

Cheers

G

I have this problem too with the same motherboard, Intel 2600k, G-Skill Ram and Antec 900W PSU.
Have you found any solution ?

rwlomas

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
No I haven't yet. I'm waiting till i have time to dismantle and reinstall the HSF, according to the ASUS self diagnosis tool, this is the solution I should try first.

I'm not sure why.. maybe i haven't put enough Artic Silver 5 on there?

By the way I've gone through the breadboarding test and everything seems to be functioning OK.

Anyways If you find the solution please let me know!

Cheers