Whats the best step-by-step build guide for complete beginner?

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I thought I saw a good one stickied on the forum here but I can't find it, dunno why. Anyways, I'm attempting my first build. I have all the parts, but I really need a good step-by-step guide to walk me through everything. I really mean everything. From the thermal paste to the BIOS config. Anyone know of a good guide around? Here's my comp in case it helps.

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M
LG H22NS50 SATA 22X+- Super Multi DVDR Black with Software
CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro Modular
Antec Nine Hundred Two Ver3.0 Black Gaming Case
Gigabyte GTX560Ti OC 1G GDDR5 PCIE DualLink DVI
Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155 3.4GHz CPU
Hitachi 2TB SATA III HDD
G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL9(8GBXL)
Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Z68 4xDDR3 3*PCIex16 GBL RAID DVI HDMI DS

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Ah thats not a bad idea actually. I'll see if I can find where to download those. Those are probably the main 2 pieces that you need to read much about right?

Another kind of stupid question... I'm kind of assuming that every component I bought comes with everything needed to install it (cables, etc.), which I realize they might not. But how would I even know this until I get everything? Does the 2600k come with thermal paste and all that? I don't want to get home and be all pumped to start this and then be missing something stupid.

rvilkman

Distinguished
The boxed CPU's such as the 2600k in question come with a heat sink and the thermal paste is already applied on the heat sink and is protected by a plastic film.

Generally the only thing you need in addition to the parts is a philips head screwdriver and usually a grounding device is recommended when handling the components to prefer static discharges from damaging the components.

Pretty much the only thing that might not come with the parts is a power cable, but if it doesn't come with one that should be listed in the PSU's description.
The specific component might not come with everything needed but for example the motherboards generally come with the needed SATA cables to attach drives. Retail packaging versions of components usually have extra cables and other things needed for the installation, thus why they usually cost a few extra bucks.

However from what i can see from your list you should be good to go installation wise.

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Yeah I was wondering about a grounding device. Since this is probably the only build I'll be doing for a while, is there any other safe alternative? Can't you just keep a hand on the metal case and be careful? Like I said, I don't want to do something stupid and blow it though. If I need a grounding device, what would you recommend?