Process called "System" using high CPU usage

RafTheDude

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Although System is not using a high CPU usage right now, I would like to know if the description of System itself (NT Kernel & System) is not a virus:

Dwm2011-09-0521-41-55-92.jpg

I did some research on it about what exactly is it but all of the threats about System having "NT Kernel & System" as description never gave information about their computer (example: I use a Windows 7 and I have this problem). When I click on "End Process," nothing happens. When I click on "Open file location," nothing happens as well.
This isn't the first time this process takes up literally ALL of my CPU (last time it did it before this one was about 3 or 4 months ago)
Is this progam's description right? is it a copy made by a virus?

windows 7 does things when you leave it sit for a while, i dont believe it does anything actually usefull except chew your hard drive, apparently its "optimizing" files and such. Just leave your pc on overnight and let it do its thing, it will eventually stop. If you interrupt this process it will just start up again.

RafTheDude

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Oh, right, I forgot to say that Im running on Windows Vista Home Premium.

PS: I know I got Norton 360 but when System was using 100% CPU (about 15 minutes before that screenshot), it did not recorded anything about it using that much CPU when it usually tends to warn me about high CPU usage.

No it's not a Virus
The 100% CPU usage that you saw before the screen shot, must have been the Systems Idle Process and that is why there was no warning that it's at 100% load.... cos it was not actually a that level....
My Systems Idle Process is always at 94%...... so it means that it's actually 94% free.....
And as far as Norton is Concerned..... That's something that really does put a lot of load on the computer...
So if I were you.... I'd try a different approach
For the time being don't worry about the System percentage usage, cos that keeps fluctuating depending on what you do not do on the pc for how long....
Meaning Background processes for windows turn them selves on and of when you are doing nothing and that shows up here.....
Just routine stuff....

RafTheDude

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

No, it was "System" (I know the difference between the two)
My "System Idle Process" was at 0% and nothing was responding (or it would take 40 seconds to respond when they usually open and respond right away) so I was forced to simply turn off my computer manually.
Again, this isn't the first time it happens but it does not happen very often too.
Im just wondering what "NT Kernel & System" is doing on my System's description? What is it? (Im running Windows Vista Home Premium)

nora170128

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Mitchell-can you elaborate, please?