Sign in with
Your question

CPU spike 100%, Freezes 1-2 seconds

Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2011 6:16:14 AM

Hi everyone!

I really hope someone can help me out...

I recently (3weeks) built a new computer:

ASUS P8P67 PRO
4 GB RAM
i5 2500k (not overclocked)
EVGA GTX 560
Windows 7 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
120gb SSD OCZ (where OS is installed) and 750gb WD caviar black
750W PSU OCZ

I also have NOD32 Antivirus installed

So I can't remember when this happened, but i think it was after the service pack was installed.

From time to time, my computer freezes (can't type nor move my mouse) for 1 to 2 seconds and then resumes normal usage. This happens often though, sometimes 10-15 times in 1 hour.

It happens randomly, even when i have only Chrome open, or when playing Starcraft 2. It hasn't happened while watching a movie though (I watched the Dark knight and it did do it).

I checked the Resource Monitor to see what happens, and its clear to see that the CPU usage spikes to 100% when it does, actually it looks like the core one spikes to 100% while the other 3 drop down.

What should i do? format my computer and see if it does the same problem again? Could it be a Graphics Card problem? What program should i run to test it?

Thank you guys in advance
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2011 6:34:13 AM

Format first. While I'm not an expert, I do know that NOD32 isn't the best anti-virus out there. Try AVG (even the Free! version is decent) instead.

It shouldn't be a graphics card problem if the CPU spikes. It does sound like software. Also make sure the CPU isn't overheating, post temperatures from Asus PC Probe or HWmonitor.
a c 100 à CPUs
September 6, 2011 9:26:33 AM

I suggest checking your CPU temperature using HWMonitor or similar 1st. You could reinstall the OS on the other hard drive to rule out any problems there.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2011 9:58:33 AM

A simple test would be to open the Task Manager and the the Resource Monitor and check which process hit's 100% CPU usage at the freeze....
That'll help you diagnose whats going on in the system and when.....
Try it and let us know...... NOD32 ain't worth installing in any system
September 6, 2011 5:34:37 PM

Ok so i contacted Intel, just in case and they made me realize something...

My ram GSkill 4gn (2x 2GB) is running at normal speed 1600Mhz..

But my Sandy Bridge is only max 1333MHz..

I guess i need to overclock it to run at the same speed right? he said that it might solve the problem.

I have a AsusP8P67 PRo

If anyone can run me through this process will be soooooooooooo appreciate it.

Thank you guys
a c 100 à CPUs
September 6, 2011 5:43:45 PM

No thats nothing to do with it
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2011 6:08:39 PM

Sounds like SW, possibly driver level. [It has to be something low if its freezing the UI]. AV is also a suspect.

Find out what process is hogging all the time when the CPU goes to 100%.
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2011 5:41:51 AM

calichin said:
Ok so i contacted Intel, just in case and they made me realize something...
I guess i need to overclock it to run at the same speed right? he said that it might solve the problem.

Intel bullshitted you. RAM speeds won't do this, anyhow, the RAM will run at 1333MHz natively and you'll have to OC it to reach 1600MHz. Which isn't worth it by a long shot.
September 25, 2011 3:51:50 AM

Ok guys so! i let my computer run, its been a month and it has been doing it again...

i got a blue screen of death last night...
my ssd was not recognizable anymore (it wouldnt detect it at all!!)
this showed on the blue screen

kernel_data_inpage_error

any thoughts?

a b à CPUs
September 25, 2011 4:28:30 AM

High time you updated the firmware of the SSD.
And with an SSD always remember to keep it clean of data fragments the SSD manufacturer will have a specific program to optimize that SSD for you.
Plus, keep the firmware upto date since they all seem to have some problem every now and then.

I'd suggest trying to plug the SSD into another rig as a secondary Disc and then updating it. At the same time you'll also come to know whether it's dead or still working.
You can use a free tool like SSDLife for checking the drive status too. And remember to change the pagefile location from the SSD to the other HDD when you get the system up and running.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 8:44:39 PM

calichin said:
Ok guys so! i let my computer run, its been a month and it has been doing it again...

i got a blue screen of death last night...
my ssd was not recognizable anymore (it wouldnt detect it at all!!)
this showed on the blue screen

kernel_data_inpage_error

any thoughts?

Finally found someone with same processor and same problem as I have. I've only had mine for like 3 months now.
Only used like 200 GB out of 1TB of the Hard drive. I've already reinstaller Windows, and it only got worse...
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/frown.gif
8GB Ram (2x 4GB)
Intel i5 2500k
Asus Radeon HD 6870
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
!