Different Partitions for OS, Applications, and Files

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hi,
I am interested in having a setup wehre ( followed by file system and percentage of total hd)

Partition 1 OS ONLY (linux ubuntu) - ext 4 10%
Partition 2 OS ONLY (windows 7 home premium) - NTFS 10%
Partition 3 Applications (And games) for Partition 2 (windows) - likely NTFS 35%
Partition 4 for Files (docs, jpegs, .mov, .wmv, .avi, .mp3, )- NTFS 35%
Partition 5 for audio and video editing - NTFS ( I read about someone who used a different partition for dvd-recording to prevent defragmentation) 10%

The size of the drive would be at least 1tb, likely 1.5 to 2tb so, for example the OS partitiosn would have 100gb of space even for the smallest sized drive.

What about installing linux applications on an NTFS partition? If that doesnt' work (which seems like it wouldnt) I'd probably take 5-10% from the Part4 and add it to Part1

First off, any problems to that?

Secondly, specifc to windows OS. A lot of the applications seem to be by default stored in Program Files or Programs Files x86 (for 64/32-bit apps, respcetively). How could I get ALL of those on the Applications partition (partition 3)? Would I be able to do that? It seems like there would always be a few stubborn apps that need to be with their OS, no?

Anyways, I've had a triple boot in three OSes (three partitions) which has been great, but having the above setup would mean, simpler and faster and more efficient software and OS restoration (and defragmentation) if necessary.

I'm vying for extreme organization and planning with this. I've done too many setups where I partition and install and THEN think of a great idea or ealize something does or doesn't work and then say I will get "around to" properly partitioning stuff later, but never do. This way, Straight off, straight up I will have the partitioning design I want.

Anyone know of any incompabilities and/or snags with that?
Thanks!

Solution
So from the information I have read from your posts so far I have a few pieces of advice.

1. 100GB is way too big for win7 if you are planning on putting programs on a different partition (which it sounds like you are). Personally I would recommend anywhere from 40 - 60GB depending on how careful you will be with making sure programs don't get installed onto your C: Drive.

2. There are a tiny minority of programs that will NOT let you chose where you want to install them, so you should have no problem getting the majority of programs onto a partition you designate for your program files. As for the registry comment, yes the majority of programs will have quite a few registry settings they either create or change. You have no reason...

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hhmm Well I've successfully triple-booted on a single drive (3 OSes, 3 partitions) which was relatively head-ache-free.

I am DEFINITELY doing
-separate drive (internal or external) for scratch audio-video disk
-separate partition for games
-separate partition for files

as regards to the OSes (on seperate drives or partitions). not sure. I've done it on separate partitison before.

One thing I don't know is how to connect two internal HDs to a mobo. (I'm in the process of starting to build my own rig). How could I do that? Woudl that be advisable. Someone else reommended two drives, too.

I knwo how to boot with same drive, different OS/partitions, what's the boot process like with two separate internal drives? thanks.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

if you could do it fine before, then your should be fine, its easy to attach more than one HDD to a mobo, your mobo should have at least 4(unless its very cheap then 2) sata ports, just connect the second hdd to one of those and a sata power cable to the second drive too, it doesnt affect boot times either, since when loading an os on one drive, the other drive is idle until you access it.

just thought you may come across the same problems i had with hackintosh, xp and win7, but if it worked for you fin the first time it should work fine again.

ramkal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
In windows moving "Program Files" to a different partition may not benefit in any way. This is because most windows programs would make entries in registry that would be in the windows boot partition. Some applications (like eclipse IDE and many java apps) don't use the registry and can be installed anywhere.

I am assuming with the above setup you would like your data partitions (4 and 5) be accessible and usable by both windows and linux. A cleaner way to do it is to install linux in a virtual machine under windows using virtual box and then mounting partitions 4 and 5 to the linux guest as a shared folder.

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Okay, Here's what I'm planning to do. If anyone has any insights pros/cons incompatibilities or unforeseen consequences (hehe hl), please share.

1TB
300 - NTFS, primary, truecrypted partition
200 - NTFS, misc files, mainly read-only
100 - ext4, primary, for optional linux install
300 - NTFS, misc files, unplanned usage (just open space)

have thought/tweaked/researched about it A LOT. Seems pretty good to me. the main thing used will be the 300 first partition, so it doesn't make to put any other partition first other than that one. The linux install is unplanned (just so I have the option). I've partitioned a lot of drives but have never been so planned in doing so (and have learned as much about partitionign with as much insights from forums) so I really look forward to doing this right! (only reason making big deal of it is speed of transfer, takes like 6 hours to transfer data and half or similar amount of time to encrypt etc. this is definitely taking shap!

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

re program files
Did not know that about eclipse and java apps (make sense because of JVR bubble though, but I avoid java apps as I don't like that language).
Thus, I think the "program files" partition will likely only contain select apps like maybe IDE and/or games. Sound good? that's helpful about that registry entry information.

Do you have a quick two-sentence explanation of registry? I've fiddled with it, but am not clear on it.

Data Partitions
partition 5, per recommendations of other forums and posts, I will almost certainly have it be as it's own hard drive. I'll just get an external hard drive and use it as audio/video scratch disk which I can frequently erase and restore (planning on a lot of data written/read from that but mainly only all temporary files!)

Virtual.
Definitely not. I use the other way around. I'll WINE in linux before ever considering emulating linux in windows. Besides, I consider gnu to be the superior OS and even if it weren't superior, I like it much better. The only reason why I'm even bothering installing windows is some select windows-only apps (mainly games, really, of which my interest may wane).

So definitely not virtual. that's rubbish. Godo to know about the program files and the registry. And partition 5 will likely not exist as a partition, but it's own drive. Ideas on that? Sounds good.

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
lol this is just my external drive!! My internal drive partitioning may be even more complex. I may get two internal drives possibly though.

random question. windows and linux you can install to a bare drive, can you do that with macos (doesn't really interest me) but interested in learning about boot stuff.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
So from the information I have read from your posts so far I have a few pieces of advice.

1. 100GB is way too big for win7 if you are planning on putting programs on a different partition (which it sounds like you are). Personally I would recommend anywhere from 40 - 60GB depending on how careful you will be with making sure programs don't get installed onto your C: Drive.

2. There are a tiny minority of programs that will NOT let you chose where you want to install them, so you should have no problem getting the majority of programs onto a partition you designate for your program files. As for the registry comment, yes the majority of programs will have quite a few registry settings they either create or change. You have no reason to worry about this, it will not increase the space windows takes up and it will not decrease performance in any way, it is completely normal and invisible.

3. About Linux: I would not recommend running Linux inside a VM, that will be a pain the ass to mount the drives all the time to get at your windows files. I am currently running Linux as a dual boot. If you go into the "My Computer" equivalent, which is just Computer (sorry to point that out as I am sure you know it from already using Linux), all of your HDD partitions will be there. Some of the names may default to a generic term (I have 137GB HDD for a couple of mine) but they will all be there and be accessible to you. Obviously some of the windows files in them won't be useable in Linux but you will be able to see and find anything.

4. As you did, I thought out a partitioning scheme ahead of time for my computer. I am sure that some will say that it is a bit overkill for what is actually needed and in fact it probably does do some things that could be similarly done with folders. But when you get down to it partitioning is someone's own way of organising. So ultimately what you want to do comes down to your personal preference. That being said I think that you have put some good thought into your partitioning scheme and have come to some good conclusions.

So instead of trying to explain to you how I partitioned my system I will just show you. I put quite some time into this before hand because it is always easier to do ahead of time than try and change partitions afterwards. I have had my computer for a bit more than 6 months now so I can see some of these partitions getting resized.
-Windows may get a bit more space for updates (especially SP2)
-Programs will probably lose some space simply because I have more than I need and after 6 months there are not a lot of new programs that I am installing. I have 100 + programs that I have already installed and can't even see myself doubling that any time soon.

Total size of hard disk(s) 3304 GB

Windows (C)------------5 GB Free (40 GB Total)
Encrypted (E)-----------132 GB Free (176 GB Total)
Fast Files (F)------------28 GB Free (146 GB Total)
My Backups (G)--------129 GB Free (205 GB Total)
My Music (I)-------------115 GB Free (322 GB Total)
Programs_0 (J)---------166 GB Free (176 GB Total)
Programs_1 (K)--------230 GB Free (264 GB Total)
My Downloads (L)-----71 GB Free (117 GB Total)
My Documents (M)----141 GB Free (264 GB Total)
Backup_1 (N)-----------183 GB Free (283 GB Total)
My Pictures (O)---------93 GB Free (117 GB Total)
Paging (P)---------------7 GB Free (12 GB Total)
Backup_2 (R)-----------124 GB Free (283 GB Total)
School Files (S)--------141 GB Free (146 GB Total)
Backup_3 (T)-----------114 GB Free (283 GB Total)
My Videos (V)-----------225 GB Free (469 GB Total)

Solution

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

Hey ps3hacker,
THANKS! You've helped shape my vision of the rig I'm building. Multipel HDs sounds awesome! For now I'm merely formatting an external 1TB drive into four partitions, but now I realize those four paritions could reflect the (possibly 4!) internal HDs of my yet to be built, still designing, rig!!

Also, I can't stand macintoshes, hackintoshes, apple stuff (that's why I had two diff OSes). I'm doing most my work on a netbook these days! Also while I don't hack consoles, I love finding the PC version of games, to then access the otherwise-console-only version of a game (assuming the port is quality) at usually much cheaper or free price!

anyways, thanks mate! Knowledgeable and helpful IT forums are awesome.

I think this thread has gotten complicated/confusing possibly because I am

-formatting ext 1TB drive into 4 partitiosn, one of which is encrypted using ntfs and ext4 filesystems
-mapping out and planning internal hard drive partitioning and/or drives for me "in the process of being built" rig
-learning as much as I can about filesystems, partitioning, cli and the like.

the main project is the external partitioning and I just completed those 4 partitions (3 ntfs, 1 ext4) and successfully labeled them in cli (a mini project to learn cli commands with ntfslabel and e2label) now onto encryption (cinch) and then pretty much done with external partitioning!

in a few months I may redo the partitions with more space for linux (an external linux boot) but considering that I don't have external linux boot planned out yet, this is good for now.

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
this got insanely rambly, was excited to discover someone as into aprtitions nad hard drive usage partition-planning

---

YES!! I love discovering soemone who's not a wanker AND who is very advanced with it tech!!

OKay that's SOOO helpful, mate! Good to know. For my internal drive setup (and this is unfortunately about 2 months away because of failing SMARt status on crapimac and wanting to build my own rig) but once I get the drives mobo and rig setup I will DEFINITELY want to put win7 on it's own partition (and I got a lot of flack from, imho, imbeciles who said to use "Folders". The WHOLE point of partitions is so I can reinstall windows or whatever OS every month if I want and it would take only a few hours because only the OS would be on the partition (with everything else on diff partions)!

50GB. helpful. for size necessary for win 7.

But why not just use 100gb so you don't have to ever run into "not enough partition space"?? I'd rather have too much space for an OS than run out of space and have to redo ALL the partitions/resizing!

in any case, that OS size estimate is very helpful for future reference.

hhmm I expected and have encoutnered that. You seem like an EXPERT of juggling with partitions.

Sweet! about not decreasing performance and not increasing win7 OS size!

Have you figured out how to put most program files on seperate drive with proper registry configurations? Other than one or two progam files (like steam, which still has obnoxiously scattered data files in various places (like My Docs, and user folder at times) . What are some of those "tiny minoirty programs"? like notepad or something?

How would I update the registry so most apps were successfully on an program_files partition?

HAHAHA I just envisonted how IMPOSSIBLE (and therefore ridicuous and fail) setting up the separation of program files the way I want would be on apple (their OS is locked down and fail. can't stand it) anyways. even if it were possible. not interested. only interested in win7 and linux_ubuntu

3. About Linux: I would not recommend running Linux inside a VM, that will be a pain the ass to mount the drives all the time to get at your windows files. I am currently running Linux as a dual boot. If you go into the "My Computer" equivalent, which is just Computer (sorry to point that out as I am sure you know it from already using Linux), all of your HDD partitions will be there. Some of the names may default to a generic term (I have 137GB HDD for a couple of mine) but they will all be there and be accessible to you. Obviously some of the windows files in them won't be useable in Linux but you will be able to see and find anything.
[/quotemsg]
Thank you!! I thought that was absolutely absurd and ridiculous for many many reasons:
I prefer linux to win7 so emulating my preferred OS would be just, simply, dumb and stupid and inefficient. As far as I'm concerned, linux is more of a "core" os than win (And unfathomably more "core" than mac os) so emulating it is just preposterously wrong, imho.

Wow, your boot setup and partitions sounds similar in some ways to the setup I will have on my own rig (but different in some ways). Mainly, thanks for finding and responding to this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ;)

Some of the windows files won't be useable.....THAT's where emulation can come in with wine haha. (which often doesn't work, but w/e).

EXCELLENT!!!! okay totally adding "as friend" if can do that (not sure if can but w/e haha) Yeah I've had data on (roughly calculating all computers and laptops...) well over one-two dozen hard drives (externals, internals etc) and I ALWAYS was like "wow that partition setup would be nice, but it was such a headache to reinstall os and everything. Well I finally took 1-2 weeks (off and on) to fully map out external hard drive partitioning (internal hrad drive partitioning will be even more useful/complex,intricate/customized!)

I'm so glad you shared your partitions because I KNOW I want at least
OS win
OS lin
int files
ext files
prog files win
possibly prog files linux
scratch disk

at least 7 partitions well at the very least the first 4 for sure. but most people don't plan and aren't as intelligent?/positively meticulous/forward-thinking/not sure most people ()like I did) just dump data on drives, when partitioning saves so much time and peace of mind (with reinstallations and keeping certain data separate and the like)

but seeing all your partitions REALLY helped validate my 4-7 internal (and 4 external) . I for example have a dropbox folder (which acn never be more than 100gb) and was storing that with other files,but realized a separate (encrypted) parition for it of exactly 100gb would be prob better. I may set that up next time I partition external (or internal)!

That being said I think that you have put some good thought into your partitioning scheme and have come to some good conclusions.

Thanks for the encouragement and acknowledgement!! I know I'll enjoy accessing reading/writing to and from my data (now categorically partitioned and appropriately partitioned) with a lot more grace and peace and efficiency, knowing that I've devised a possibly elegant, at the very least, "well-thought out " and planned partitioning scheme!

OKay first off, Your paritions are FRICKIN AWESOME!! :sol: :hello: :bounce: :D I thought I was getting hitech with 4. AHAH!!

how many drives does that span. OMG that's frickin 'so awesome!!!!!!!!! Wow.

One thing I like doing is calculating exact numbers like
300 gigs is really 307200 mb (1024*300) for solid numbers ( a personal prefernce)

WOW you totally opened awesome doors to the type of partitioning I wnat to do!1

Do you ahve problems with all those partitions? Someone else was recommending using folders. I've USED folders and can't stand them. This way can reinstall OS or whatever without other data effected.

You REALLY have all those partitons HAAH THat's awesome1!!! :eek:

For my external (my internal may have around half as many partitions as you do) I've got

300gb (exactly, 307200 mb) internals (incrypted) all my internal files, vids, photos, docs, and main core files
200gb (externals) all exteranl vids and files (like master and commander flick or MIT open courseware computer class and whatever) stuff that I could reacquire if lost
300gb (random stuff not yet determined)
100gb (proposed linu parition)

OKAY that's internal

but I AM wnating to proplery setup internal partitiongin.

That's SOOOOOO helpful knowing exact size needed for JUST windows OS. (50gb max prob) is that for win7?

Bottomline (as you said it): I put quite some time into this before hand because it is always easier to do ahead of time than try and change partitions afterwards.

that's EXACTLY what I've done.

You do realize I'm doing
external partitioning of 1tb (current project, almost complete, actually is complete thanks to variety of forums, and planning and mapping out and whiteboard lol)

internal paritition of future hard drives (for rig not yet built)

I would go with larger partitions because it's much better to have more space than too little space (not enough space results in having to redo partitioning scheme) too much space is often reassuring and relaxing and more elegant in my humble geeky opinion.

anyway, thanks for annihilating the notion of 4 or more partitions is too excessive. You may have some unnecessary partitions but I like seeing someone else who has put that much time into proper hard drive usage/partitioning. awesome!

you don't have to answer these as you've been helpful enough but just random questions thoughts.

awesome, I would make this on mine 100gb (yes it's too big, but then never have to worry about running out of space)
encryption ftw!
what's this? like a scratch disk? is this like SSD or something? are they acessed more frequently?
My backup is the 300gb and 200gb of the external 1tb. you don't have that much backup space for 3TB!
wow. that's a lot of tunes 200gb+. I was just looking through mine and I've got a condensed 38gb set of artists, soundtracks, (most of those two categories are rubbish) but then Voice (audio books and spoken) and Calssical which I like. I want to whittle down my "amext" (audio media external) I call it because it indicates the media type AND it's source (it's external stuff). I greatly prefer my own naming schemes like amext to "My Music" (which is atrocious naming for cross-filesystems (probs with case-sensitivity and spaces) So i've put enormous thought into proper naming of files/partitions/folders (any good computer scientst does) to ensure cross-filesystem compatibility and that the names indicate purpose and/or contents . I may get into OS design (or sort of already am in a sense lol, on abasic level in some areas)
definitely something I want to setup. How did you do that with registry?

hey you keep downloads on seperate partition? Aside from having to copy those files to other partitions (hassle?) that's smart I like the idea of that and may implement that on my own parititions.

this is where your partitions seem excessive (or oddly planned) how different from other backup?
interesting setup. I keep all my "internal files" (docs, photos, videos) in their same location
paging??
yeah, I don't see why you have what looks like 4 backups. I mean I use cloud and then well here's my backup scheme
100gb cloud (always backedup to servers)
External 300 - encrypted Double backedup of what's on the external 1tb 1st partition
external 1tb 300 - encrypted internal files
external 1tb 200 - - unencrypted external files) (usually few vids and audio media)

So I basically have ONE main local backup location (partition 1, 300gb, of my 1tb ) and then that data is doubly-backed up on another 300gb external drive
and ONE server backup.
I like that simplicity (if you could call that simple)

While I LOVE how you have tons of partitions, I don't like how you have what looks like 4 backup things 9why not just 1 or 2)? Well I guess If have 4 (int files on external 1tb, in files on external backup, int files on server, and ext files on 1tb external, and partioally on double backup 300). so I guess that is simpilar

My backups are pretty extensive but it seems more organized than just backup 1,2,3,4.

mine are

100gb dropbox (backedup on any hard drive that has dropbox AND server) - this is all my important
amint audio media internals (like thousands of recordings I've done, some just notes, some welleditted and on podcsts)
do (document files) of all types for past books, for ALL school files. in fact I was delighted to see your school files (I keep those simply in a folder though and don't have any reason to keep them in diff partition (they aren't an os, they're just 2,051 files (and almost no directories, I use extremely elaborate, but helpful and informative file naming so I avoid nested folders. the result is splended with quick access of all data.

but everything I learn these days is autodidactic and I blog the notes so I don't see myself adding to do_school (documents school) so having it the way it is is good. I also have over 12,000 internal images (some are document photos, but mainly normal photos of people and places and/or things or locations) all really organized ) my piint (pictures internals) is mainly just the main, then material possessiosn (matpos) and then papers (5,000 of those) . I'm delightfully a minimalist so I am in the process of eliminating all (or 40 or less) paper-based books and while I have tens of thousands comuter doc files, I can't stand hardcopy, so have most of that on hard drives. Thus, my backups and partitioning is pretty secure and it makes sense for me to have (advanced?) well planned and thought-out partitions!!! I love having so much data (for utor memoryies) all organized on comapc hard drives! so mch more elegant way of living and working imho.

bloody hell this got massively rambly

okay so dropbox is core backup

local backup is
partition 1 300gb of 1tb external, encrypted ntfs, all INT files and important
partition 2 200gb of 1tb external, unencrypted ntfs, ext files
300gb second external hd, encrypted ntfs, all int (and a few ext) files.

the partition sequence may change a bit.

this sounds complicated but in a nutshell
my important files are backedup at least
1 - server
2 - external main 1tb
3 - external main 300gb alternate double-backup drive
and then whatever other hard drives have the server software will have another backup copy. three minimum, one of which is always off-site!!!! HAAH!

Soem may say that's insane and time-consuming, but it's completely not and more intelligent than having hardcopy files and hardcopy photos (wtf???) infect one's life.

additionally, because the backups are instantaneous (on server) or very organized and planned, I have zero anxiety with dataloss, and the important data is encrypted, so basically, I have everything I could ever need on a few -organized/partitioned har d drives!

Okay this got WAY too rambly. Much of this might be incoherent. Was excited at finding someone who paritiions as extensively and plans their hard drive usage.

My Videos (V)-----------225 GB Free (469 GB Total)[/quotemsg]
My vids that I made (are video media internals and are backed up externsilve) my vids that are not mine (like tutorials or enternds are backedup on one partition of external hard drive (video media external is not that impuse they're relaceable, and often rubbish )

Anyways, wasn't too certain about sharing all this. I've been lemanagement naming and system for years and REALLy planning and thinking out proper partitioning is my recent evolution. Thanks for encouraging and helping with that!

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
this got insanely rambly, was excited to discover someone as into aprtitions nad hard drive usage partition-planning

---

YES!! I love discovering soemone who's not a wanker AND who is very advanced with it tech!!

OKay that's SOOO helpful, mate! Good to know. For my internal drive setup (and this is unfortunately about 2 months away because of failing SMARt status on crapimac and wanting to build my own rig) but once I get the drives mobo and rig setup I will DEFINITELY want to put win7 on it's own partition (and I got a lot of flack from, imho, imbeciles who said to use "Folders". The WHOLE point of partitions is so I can reinstall windows or whatever OS every month if I want and it would take only a few hours because only the OS would be on the partition (with everything else on diff partions)!

50GB. helpful. for size necessary for win 7.

But why not just use 100gb so you don't have to ever run into "not enough partition space"?? I'd rather have too much space for an OS than run out of space and have to redo ALL the partitions/resizing!

in any case, that OS size estimate is very helpful for future reference.

hhmm I expected and have encoutnered that. You seem like an EXPERT of juggling with partitions.

Sweet! about not decreasing performance and not increasing win7 OS size!

Have you figured out how to put most program files on seperate drive with proper registry configurations? Other than one or two progam files (like steam, which still has obnoxiously scattered data files in various places (like My Docs, and user folder at times) . What are some of those "tiny minoirty programs"? like notepad or something?

How would I update the registry so most apps were successfully on an program_files partition?

HAHAHA I just envisonted how IMPOSSIBLE (and therefore ridicuous and fail) setting up the separation of program files the way I want would be on apple (their OS is locked down and fail. can't stand it) anyways. even if it were possible. not interested. only interested in win7 and linux_ubuntu

[/quotemsg]
Thank you!! I thought that was absolutely absurd and ridiculous for many many reasons:
I prefer linux to win7 so emulating my preferred OS would be just, simply, dumb and stupid and inefficient. As far as I'm concerned, linux is more of a "core" os than win (And unfathomably more "core" than mac os) so emulating it is just preposterously wrong, imho.

Wow, your boot setup and partitions sounds similar in some ways to the setup I will have on my own rig (but different in some ways). Mainly, thanks for finding and responding to this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ;)

Some of the windows files won't be useable.....THAT's where emulation can come in with wine haha. (which often doesn't work, but w/e).

EXCELLENT!!!! okay totally adding "as friend" if can do that (not sure if can but w/e haha) Yeah I've had data on (roughly calculating all computers and laptops...) well over one-two dozen hard drives (externals, internals etc) and I ALWAYS was like "wow that partition setup would be nice, but it was such a headache to reinstall os and everything. Well I finally took 1-2 weeks (off and on) to fully map out external hard drive partitioning (internal hrad drive partitioning will be even more useful/complex,intricate/customized!)

I'm so glad you shared your partitions because I KNOW I want at least
OS win
OS lin
int files
ext files
prog files win
possibly prog files linux
scratch disk

at least 7 partitions well at the very least the first 4 for sure. but most people don't plan and aren't as intelligent?/positively meticulous/forward-thinking/not sure most people ()like I did) just dump data on drives, when partitioning saves so much time and peace of mind (with reinstallations and keeping certain data separate and the like)

but seeing all your partitions REALLY helped validate my 4-7 internal (and 4 external) . I for example have a dropbox folder (which acn never be more than 100gb) and was storing that with other files,but realized a separate (encrypted) parition for it of exactly 100gb would be prob better. I may set that up next time I partition external (or internal)!

That being said I think that you have put some good thought into your partitioning scheme and have come to some good conclusions.

Thanks for the encouragement and acknowledgement!! I know I'll enjoy accessing reading/writing to and from my data (now categorically partitioned and appropriately partitioned) with a lot more grace and peace and efficiency, knowing that I've devised a possibly elegant, at the very least, "well-thought out " and planned partitioning scheme!

OKay first off, Your paritions are FRICKIN AWESOME!! :sol: :hello: :bounce: :D I thought I was getting hitech with 4. AHAH!!

how many drives does that span. OMG that's frickin 'so awesome!!!!!!!!! Wow.

One thing I like doing is calculating exact numbers like
300 gigs is really 307200 mb (1024*300) for solid numbers ( a personal prefernce)

WOW you totally opened awesome doors to the type of partitioning I wnat to do!1

Do you ahve problems with all those partitions? Someone else was recommending using folders. I've USED folders and can't stand them. This way can reinstall OS or whatever without other data effected.

You REALLY have all those partitons HAAH THat's awesome1!!! :eek:

For my external (my internal may have around half as many partitions as you do) I've got

300gb (exactly, 307200 mb) internals (incrypted) all my internal files, vids, photos, docs, and main core files
200gb (externals) all exteranl vids and files (like master and commander flick or MIT open courseware computer class and whatever) stuff that I could reacquire if lost
300gb (random stuff not yet determined)
100gb (proposed linu parition)

OKAY that's internal

but I AM wnating to proplery setup internal partitiongin.

That's SOOOOOO helpful knowing exact size needed for JUST windows OS. (50gb max prob) is that for win7?

Bottomline (as you said it): I put quite some time into this before hand because it is always easier to do ahead of time than try and change partitions afterwards.

that's EXACTLY what I've done.

You do realize I'm doing
external partitioning of 1tb (current project, almost complete, actually is complete thanks to variety of forums, and planning and mapping out and whiteboard lol)

internal paritition of future hard drives (for rig not yet built)

I would go with larger partitions because it's much better to have more space than too little space (not enough space results in having to redo partitioning scheme) too much space is often reassuring and relaxing and more elegant in my humble geeky opinion.

anyway, thanks for annihilating the notion of 4 or more partitions is too excessive. You may have some unnecessary partitions but I like seeing someone else who has put that much time into proper hard drive usage/partitioning. awesome!

you don't have to answer these as you've been helpful enough but just random questions thoughts.

awesome, I would make this on mine 100gb (yes it's too big, but then never have to worry about running out of space)
encryption ftw!
what's this? like a scratch disk? is this like SSD or something? are they acessed more frequently?
My backup is the 300gb and 200gb of the external 1tb. you don't have that much backup space for 3TB!
wow. that's a lot of tunes 200gb+. I was just looking through mine and I've got a condensed 38gb set of artists, soundtracks, (most of those two categories are rubbish) but then Voice (audio books and spoken) and Calssical which I like. I want to whittle down my "amext" (audio media external) I call it because it indicates the media type AND it's source (it's external stuff). I greatly prefer my own naming schemes like amext to "My Music" (which is atrocious naming for cross-filesystems (probs with case-sensitivity and spaces) So i've put enormous thought into proper naming of files/partitions/folders (any good computer scientst does) to ensure cross-filesystem compatibility and that the names indicate purpose and/or contents . I may get into OS design (or sort of already am in a sense lol, on abasic level in some areas)
definitely something I want to setup. How did you do that with registry?

hey you keep downloads on seperate partition? Aside from having to copy those files to other partitions (hassle?) that's smart I like the idea of that and may implement that on my own parititions.

this is where your partitions seem excessive (or oddly planned) how different from other backup?
interesting setup. I keep all my "internal files" (docs, photos, videos) in their same location
paging??
yeah, I don't see why you have what looks like 4 backups. I mean I use cloud and then well here's my backup scheme
100gb cloud (always backedup to servers)
External 300 - encrypted Double backedup of what's on the external 1tb 1st partition
external 1tb 300 - encrypted internal files
external 1tb 200 - - unencrypted external files) (usually few vids and audio media)

So I basically have ONE main local backup location (partition 1, 300gb, of my 1tb ) and then that data is doubly-backed up on another 300gb external drive
and ONE server backup.
I like that simplicity (if you could call that simple)

While I LOVE how you have tons of partitions, I don't like how you have what looks like 4 backup things 9why not just 1 or 2)? Well I guess If have 4 (int files on external 1tb, in files on external backup, int files on server, and ext files on 1tb external, and partioally on double backup 300). so I guess that is simpilar

My backups are pretty extensive but it seems more organized than just backup 1,2,3,4.

mine are

100gb dropbox (backedup on any hard drive that has dropbox AND server) - this is all my important
amint audio media internals (like thousands of recordings I've done, some just notes, some welleditted and on podcsts)
do (document files) of all types for past books, for ALL school files. in fact I was delighted to see your school files (I keep those simply in a folder though and don't have any reason to keep them in diff partition (they aren't an os, they're just 2,051 files (and almost no directories, I use extremely elaborate, but helpful and informative file naming so I avoid nested folders. the result is splended with quick access of all data.

but everything I learn these days is autodidactic and I blog the notes so I don't see myself adding to do_school (documents school) so having it the way it is is good. I also have over 12,000 internal images (some are document photos, but mainly normal photos of people and places and/or things or locations) all really organized ) my piint (pictures internals) is mainly just the main, then material possessiosn (matpos) and then papers (5,000 of those) . I'm delightfully a minimalist so I am in the process of eliminating all (or 40 or less) paper-based books and while I have tens of thousands comuter doc files, I can't stand hardcopy, so have most of that on hard drives. Thus, my backups and partitioning is pretty secure and it makes sense for me to have (advanced?) well planned and thought-out partitions!!! I love having so much data (for utor memoryies) all organized on comapc hard drives! so mch more elegant way of living and working imho.

bloody hell this got massively rambly

okay so dropbox is core backup

local backup is
partition 1 300gb of 1tb external, encrypted ntfs, all INT files and important
partition 2 200gb of 1tb external, unencrypted ntfs, ext files
300gb second external hd, encrypted ntfs, all int (and a few ext) files.

the partition sequence may change a bit.

this sounds complicated but in a nutshell
my important files are backedup at least
1 - server
2 - external main 1tb
3 - external main 300gb alternate double-backup drive
and then whatever other hard drives have the server software will have another backup copy. three minimum, one of which is always off-site!!!! HAAH!

Soem may say that's insane and time-consuming, but it's completely not and more intelligent than having hardcopy files and hardcopy photos (wtf???) infect one's life.

additionally, because the backups are instantaneous (on server) or very organized and planned, I have zero anxiety with dataloss, and the important data is encrypted, so basically, I have everything I could ever need on a few -organized/partitioned har d drives!

Okay this got WAY too rambly. Much of this might be incoherent. Was excited at finding someone who paritiions as extensively and plans their hard drive usage.

My Videos (V)-----------225 GB Free (469 GB Total)[/quotemsg]
My vids that I made (are video media internals and are backed up externsilve) my vids that are not mine (like tutorials or enternds are backedup on one partition of external hard drive (video media external is not that impuse they're relaceable, and often rubbish )

Anyways, wasn't too certain about sharing all this. I've been lemanagement naming and system for years and REALLy planning and thinking out proper partitioning is my recent evolution. Thanks for encouraging and helping with that!

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Just wanted to say "thanks again" to all who had helpful knowledge.

Have successfully partitioned (with some good and useful CLI labelling practice and in gnu/linux) the external hard drive into

1TB300i, ntfs, encryped (encrypting)
1TB200e, ntfs
1TB300r, ntfs
1TB100l, ext4

I like that current scheme and sequence. May likely get more knowledge/insights when I do internal partitioning and/or possibly redesign that partitioning scheme.

I access the first partition the most which makes it ideal for access time (which bill2) mentioned.

also, whs, I've found that most people who post "psuedo-advice" to feed their ego, most often misinterpret someone disliking that pseudo-advice as rudeness. Thus, you're matching up quite exactly to what I (corrently) percieved your agenda to be! cheers!

Anyways, thanks for who helped (I mainly got a lot of invaluable information from truecrypt site and a few blogs and other threads, forums, too).

I'll definitely be getting more insights and learning for efficient internal partitioning (likely 3 oses, definitely 2 minimum).

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Haha john you are definitely an excitable person.

So you had a few questions that I will answer. But first a bit more about my setup will answer most of them.

My setup is over 4 drives.
The first is a 64GB SSD for the OS (part of it for win7 and part for Ubuntu)
The 3 others are all 1.5TB WD Green drives.

I wanted the lower power consumption of the green drives but I didn't like how slow they are so I decided on RAID 0 with all three drives to increase performance and it has worked beautifully.

To go a bit further, I set it up as windows raid (not the greatest but my processor can handle it for sure) so the majority of the partitions are stripped across the 3 WD drives, which makes them incredibly fast.

About the backups ...
First of all the one titled "My Backups" is stripped and is for backups of my external drives and my laptop.
The other 3 backups are my actual backup devices. Each one of the 3 is mirrored on 2 of the 3 HDDs (this is a big advantage of windows raid, you can easily combine different types of raid on the same physical drive) aka backup1 is on drive 1 and 2, backup2 is on drive 2 and 3, and backup3 is on drive 1 and 3. I rotate by auto backups through all three drives. This works out very well because I am well aware that raid0 with 3 drive gives 3x the failure rate. However with my backups I can lose 2 out of my 3 drives and still have a backup to restore off of (obviously if I lose all 3 drives no amount of protection would save me). That is the explanation of all the backup drives.

Onto you question about programs and the registry.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE REGISTRY!

Sorry about the caps but this needs to be clear. You have no reason to go searching through the registry for program entries and changing them. Doing this will probably cause the program to stop working.

When you install programs (no matter where you install them) they automatically create registry entries for things like telling the OS where to find it, startup entries and many other things.

How to change the program installation folder (this is not specific as it is slightly different with all programs):
-The option to change the program installation folder generally comes up shortly after the terms of service page
-You are looking for a setting that is generally C:\Program Files\... by default.
-Once you see this on the page it is usually as simple as changing the drive letter to something else (for my partitioning it is simply changing "C:" to "J:")
-Leave all other information there simply change the drive letter
-Sometimes you will have to go searching for the option to change the drive letter, if it is not easily found try going under an advanced install tab or a more options tab.
-After you have changed the drive letter continue with the install as you normally would.

One last answer. The only programs that I have found that don't let you change the install directory are the some of the adobe reader and player programs. I cannot recall anything else off the top of my head (I would look but I am not at home right now).

Ok last thought this time...
This may just make extra decisions for you, but since you have already partitioned I would not recommend repartitioning because of it.
I will let you look up the technical reasons behind this but it is known that the data on the outside of an HDD platter can be read faster than the data on the inside of the patter. Therefor the partitions that you create first will be slightly faster than the partitions that you create last. It is not a huge difference but that partition I have titled "fast files" is the first partition on all three drives and has been benchmarked to be faster than "my videos which is at the end of all three drives.
Just another thought for you.

Hope you are learning a lot from all this, seems like you have gotten a lot of good information from everyone in this thread!

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
hey forgot about the "choosing best answer bit" didn't mean to cause delay. Thanks again for response!! And about excitable person....hhmm with some things, like partitions and computers, yeah I get excited easily over those things!

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

All in all MASSIVELY helpful (and inspiring to continue wiht my, indeed, well-thought out partitions that resulted in fruitful, quality reward of very organized usage of external drive space)! All the reseach and planning and forum posts delightfully paid off! Thanks agin. cheers.

Thanks again! I will likely readup much more on
changing program file loc post-installation
various forms of raid
(possibly on) SSD (they're reputably pricey so haven't even configured those in my "dream rig" config.

I've been looking at an atx mobo that does usb 3.0 (compatibile wit the 1tb external!!) and 6gb/s sata. Found one that works with specs and that's great!! I felt pretty awesome about that (I don't have it yet :( but at least picked it out) asus. but I guess looking into configuring RAID details would be the next (possible not sure if will do that although seems very likely I guess) advanced step.

Thanks again!! j2j663!

dan1

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
How exactly do you go about this

I have a 460gb hard drive

and windows vista 32bit

And use my computer a lot

I want to run a re installation today and would love to know how to go about such a set up

Please advise