TOSHIBA Satellite 1800: Why? oH my GAWD why????? (random s..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 1:16:57 AM

<grin>

Ok, so I may be overdoing it, but after a prolonged web&newsgroup
search to see if anyone had a fix for the dying TOSHIBA SATELLITE 1800
P3 1100, 246Mram, etc..

Poor thing started shutting down randomly, being hard to restart..
After one last good run for 24hours, occasionally rebooting itself,
but always comming back- It went totally inert!

ESC, F1, F2, ~, &or F12 with power button does nadda..

took it apart, undid the bios battery.. nadda..
checked fan/heat sink assembly, a BIT of dust, fan good, plenty of
thermal paste, back together.. nadda...

Power supply/regulator etc part of the motherboard...

Powering it with the adaptor, it still charges the battery, after
awhile, battery light goes from amber to green..

But if you hit the power button.. NADDA.. a few cryptic blinks of the
power light, which cant be ever stopped by holding the power button
down for 10/15 secs..

Only total unplug/battery remove will stop it..

SHOULD have flashed the bios when I had the chance.. found out a lot
about the buggy 1800 bios and power mngmt/hibernate

Too late now..

ALso heard about frying 3.3v pcmcia cards..

Also heard about lotsa folks getting replacement mboards from toshiba
one after another, after another..

But no indication anyone EVER found what was behind this pattern..

No blink error codes found in searches..

So... Besides a plea for help (from folks WITH a TOSH 1800/ repair
experience of same -pretty up on the general stuff, need specifics...

WHY DID TOSHIBA KEEP SELLING THIS NASTY LITTLE THING?
WHY THE ^%$^%$ DIDNT they finally figure the "mystery motherboard
eating problem" out and make with a FIX ??????

DAMN! these things MSRP'd at $2.7K 4 years ago..
tsk tsk tsk Toshiba..
So sad..

under
score
helling
mail of
great
heat
etc
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 1:16:58 AM

Isn't this thing about 4 years old? I think you're at the point where you
put this one out of your misery and buy a new laptop.

!