Your question

ASrock Z77 Extreme4 USB 3.0 issues

Tags:
  • ASRock
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 26, 2012 9:29:51 AM

Hello,

I'm having issues with the Asmedia USB ports on my Z77 Ext. 4. I have tried a suggestion of turning off the USB 3.0 legacy support in the BIOS but it didn't seem to fix my problem. I can't seem to get driver installed and sometimes it freezes windows (64 Bit 7 pro. SP1). Everything else seems to be working great with this board but I'm pulling my hair out updating BIOS on the MB and trying different drivers for the ASmedia 1042 drivers. This is only affecting the 2 USB ports near the PS/2 socket. I can see that devices are connected when in the BIOS but windows doesn't see them and depending on what driver I try to install it either locks up during the process or completes but windows tells me there is an issue with the driver install and the device isn't recognized in device manager.

Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.

JT

More about : asrock z77 extreme4 usb issues

May 27, 2012 8:53:44 AM

Thanks for the link, I tried the newest version of the driver, it installs but then when I check in device manager it says the component doesn't have a driver.

The updated firmware will not install, I get the following: "Your host device is not ready, firmware not installed, reboot and try again." Rebooting does not seem to make it better.
Related resources
May 28, 2012 4:57:15 PM

Interesting since those are the only two ports that I can actually get to work as USB 3.0 ports. The Intel ports only work as USB 2.0 ports. I have a Seagate USB 3.0 GoFlex and a Buffalo Drivestation in each of the ASMedia controlled ports and they both work and work as USB 3.0 devices.

I used the INFs and the drivers from the ASRock site.
May 29, 2012 3:53:41 PM

I just bought this mobo on friday, put it all together, and noticed the exact same issue with my USB this morning when I went to plug in my cell phone. The top 2 USB's next to the ps2 didnt give any charge or connection to my phone, but the ones at the bottom did.
May 29, 2012 6:41:42 PM

I am now able to get power from them and sometimes a connection but it is flaky at best. I ended up uninstalling all the ASMedia drivers and re-installing the ones on the ASRock site but it is still not right. I sent a message to ASRock tech support but haven't heard anything back yet. Can someone explain why it is necessary to have 3rd party USB drivers on a MOBO? The Intel ports work fine so why not just give me 4 of those? I'm sure there is a simple explanation but it seems like there are a lot of problems reported out there with 3rd party USB. If anyone finds a solution please post it here.
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2012 7:11:09 PM

Just making a guess from what I've heard, but I think the amount of controllers is tied into the chipset, which Intel is the one that creates. In other words, the chipset only includes so many Intel usb 3.0 ports by default, so anything beyond that must be created by adding on third-party controllers to the board. This is the reason why Z68 boards had USB 3.0 ports, but they were all 3rd-party controllers instead of integrated into the chipset.

People generally regard the Intel controllers as being higher quality, which is one of the reasons that there was excitement that they were included in the Z77 chipset.

Good luck with the drivers, I think that is your best best. I will have to double check the rear connectors on my board when I get home tonight, I haven't tried them out yet.
May 29, 2012 7:15:59 PM

jtgray10 said:
I am now able to get power from them and sometimes a connection but it is flaky at best. I ended up uninstalling all the ASMedia drivers and re-installing the ones on the ASRock site but it is still not right. I sent a message to ASRock tech support but haven't heard anything back yet. Can someone explain why it is necessary to have 3rd party USB drivers on a MOBO? The Intel ports work fine so why not just give me 4 of those? I'm sure there is a simple explanation but it seems like there are a lot of problems reported out there with 3rd party USB. If anyone finds a solution please post it here.

And I'm having the opposite problem. The Intel USB ports don't work as USB 3.0 ports but the 2 ports controlled by ASMedia controller work fine. That's why there are 3rd party drivers. The Intel controller only provides for 4 USB 3.0 ports. The other two are controlled by the ASMedia controller. 3rd party controller gets 3rd party drivers.

For the ASMedia ports, I didn't do anything special: just loaded the INFs and drivers from the ASRock site and those two USB ports are the only ones that work as USB 3.0 ports. All of the Intel USB 3.0 ports only function as USB 2.0 ports. They work, but not as USB 3.0 ports and USB 3.0 devices plugged into those ports report that they would perform better in a Superspeed port.

So what did you do to make those ports work as USB 3.0 ports with USB 3.0 devices? Maybe between the two of us we can get a good configuration.

June 18, 2012 7:23:44 AM

How did you guys go? Is it still not working?

Mine stopped working as well after I plugged in my printer's usb cable. After inserting the cable, it stopped both the USB 3 at the top of the mobo but other USB slots are working perfect.

Tried reinstalling the USB 3 drivers but no go.

The top USB seems to be running my external but it isn't showing up on the 'My Computer' screen. Does anyone know a fix to this?

E: Apart from that, I'm doing test with my mouse as well. I connected it to the top USB ports and its constantly blinking every 30-40 seconds, what does that indicate?
June 22, 2012 4:31:09 PM

I have this board, and the front USB ports are working at USB 2 speeds even though plugged into the the USB 3 header. I have not tried the ports in the back yet.
June 23, 2012 2:43:49 PM

I still have the problem with Intel USB 3.0 ports only functioning as USB 2.0 ports. I briefly upgraded the BIOS from v1.40 to v1.70 and even the ASmedia ports starting working at USB 2.0 speeds (got the "This device can perform faster" message from Windows 7 for devices that previously were running as USB 3.0 devices). Reverted back to BIOS v1.40 and the ASMedia ports returned to normal.
There is clearly a problem with Ivy Bridge and USB on the ASRock Extreme4 z77 boards that their BIOS folks either can't figure out, or can't fix in the BIOS.
Right now the only 2 ports I can get to run as SuperSpeed ports are the two "top" ports on the back of the unit. Those are the ports connected to the ASMedia controller.
October 12, 2012 2:19:45 PM

I had some problems with 2 of the usb 3.0 ports and even with some SATA ports.... It all solved with BIOS update to 2.30 version.

Hope it helps in case you still havenĀ“t solved it.
January 20, 2013 7:02:31 PM

I am having very similar issues with my extreme4. The front USB3.0 ports don't work right with usb3 devices. Either transferring will go very slowly or it will just lock up and stop detecting the usb stick. The usb2 ports on the front work just fine. And legacy usb2 devices also work fine in the usb2/3 ports on the front. However USB3 on the front connected with usb3 devices don't work.

I haven't had a chance to test the ones in the back. I believe the ones in the front are the Intel ports.

I've tried updating drivers and my BIOS is 2.70. Any ideas/updated on this?
January 20, 2013 7:20:27 PM

EDIT: I've only tested with 1 USB3.0 device. it worked in usb2 mode so i'm guessing it wasn't defective
!