8800gts temp jumps

G

Hello,

I am running 2x 8800GTS 512mbs in SLi mode, recently while running games or 3d applications, my pc's been entering power save mode and shutting down.. having tried lots of thing, like memory checks, CPU thermal paste and a new 30a PSU, i've noticed with speed fan & GPU-Z ONE of my 8800's is spiking from 0 to 190c every second.. i've updated the bios and no difference.. do i have a dead card?

jb6684

Distinguished
What is the brand and model of power supply.....

When you say, "power save mode", do you mean sleep mode? What are your CPU temps at idle and underload?

Remove the card that is showing temperature spikes and see if things run now (190C seems like an unbelievably high temp, 100C usually shuts down a card...)

G

I totally agree about the unbelievable temp, also it's jumping back to 0 then back to 190 once every second, so I doubt very much it's a real temperature, as the silicon chip couldn't handle such differences surely?

Right my new PSU is a Power Station 850w
It's rated at 30A for both the PCIE 12v lines.

I'm not sure if the entire PC's going into sleep, at first i thought it was the monitor, but it's same with a different one, i then changed the PSU, again no change, i've renewed the Thermo grease between the CPU and heatsink, this dropped the CPU temp at idle from 43c to 36c (it's an Intel Quad core 266) it's running 4x 2gb DDR2's which ive tried eliminating each one, to no change.

But last night after installing Speed Fan and GPU-Z I noticed the temp spikes with 1 of the 8800GTS's, I wish now i'd installed these apps first!, also the fan on the card is running at 100%.. I have removed the card, and the problem has gone away, but now obviously i'm no longer able to run SLi.

Are these cards servicable? at all? It's a BFG 8800GTS 512mb OC with 675 clock speed.

Thanks for your help.

jb6684

Distinguished
Yeah, unless there is a warranty still on the card it's likely best to just scrap it.....

BUT, you might try one thing first... pull the heat sink off the GPU card and re-apply the Thermo grease... hey, can't hurt

If you can't find an 8800 used on eBay, you might try moving up to one modern card which will likely outperform the pair of 8800's... (if funds are available...)

TRENDING THREADS