Sign in with
Your question

Need help w/ Port Fowarding

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 4, 2010 3:42:06 AM

Hi all... I'm really stumped right now so I'm trying to get a handle on why I'm not getting the results I'm looking for.

I'll give the setup: I've got a cable modem that runs into a Wireless router, Linksys WRT54GL that then runs connections to our two computers in the house.

What I'm looking at doing is connecting to my desktop computer through Remote Desktop on my laptop and iPad. Both my laptop and iPad are having the same issues connecting.

I'm basically getting stuck at the point where I can connect to my computer no problem inside my own domain (while on my own wifi), but when I'm outside my network, I'm hitting the WAN IP (I think... or whatever you hit before you actually get inside the domain to the local computers), but it doesn't seem to be seeing any of the IP's within the network.

So I thought OK I'll setup port forwarding. So I set the port forward on my router. BTW I'm using DD WRT firmware on my router, so it's not the stock Linksys. I set the port range to 80 and then set up my local IP.

But no program can still see my computer.

I took it a step further and specifically added the port 80 to my firewall exception list through a rule. And I also toyed around with the "host" file in my windows/system32/etc/... folder.

Nothing seems to be allowing anything outside my domain to see my internal computers.

What am I missing? Is it the DD WRT firmware? Is it something dumb I'm totally missing? I'm not a novice to windows / networking, but I've nearly no experience in forwarding ports and how all of that works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

More about : port fowarding

December 4, 2010 7:11:22 AM

port 80 is for http and you would open the port if you would have a webserver running on your local network.

remote desktop uses different port number(s).

have you looked into Hamachi from logmein.com?
m
l
December 4, 2010 1:31:25 PM

Emerald said:
port 80 is for http and you would open the port if you would have a webserver running on your local network.

remote desktop uses different port number(s).

have you looked into Hamachi from logmein.com?

I've downloaded a similar program called Splashtop, which utilizes port 6783. But even forwarding that port and adding the exception for it on the firewall still prevents Splashtop from seeing it.

Would logmein have some other solution? I'm kind of afraid to drop the $30 and find out that I have the same problem - just can't see the port on the outside world.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2010 2:47:14 PM

logmein is FREE for personal use
m
l
December 4, 2010 8:38:15 PM

Awesome thanks - that's the easiest solution ever :) 
m
l
!