How to use i7-2600k w/o graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlx1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I'm trying to gather all the parts needed to build a new system...but for the life of me I CANNOT figure out what I need to hook up a monitor to my motherboard/i7-2600k without using a graphics card (there are no DVI connectors on the board). All I know for sure is that hooking up a graphics card will disable the "Intel HD Graphics 3000" section of the CPU---and being the 'cheap bastard' that I am, I don't want to spend any extra $ on a video card if I don't have to...
Although, sometime in the future I plan on using 3 monitors (just to monitor the financial markets)--does anyone know if the 2600k will support this (w/o a graphics card)?
(I'm not a gamer/power user. I just want a very quiet, reliable computer that I don't have to wait on).
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the main parts I've collected so far:
Intel Core i7-2600k
Asus P67 Sabertooth motherboard Rev. 3
16Gb Ram 2000Mhz Corsair Domonator GT
Thermaltake 1200W PSU
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case
Antec Kuhler 920 CPU cooler

Thanks,
Jesse

Solution
The problem is your motherboard has the wrong chipset. The P67 chipset is primarily meant for people who are looking for performance (overclocking) and it does not have the ability to access the video core in a Sandy Bridge CPU.

The H61/H67 chipsets will allow you to use the video core, but it basically lacks overclocking capabilities.

The Z68 chipset is basically a combination of the H and P chipsets. It'll give you overclocking options and the option to use the video core in a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I don't think that motherboard has integrated graphics, and therefor no video out. If you're using that board, you need a video card. For the usage scenario you're describing, you won't need an expensive one.

striker410

Distinguished
Few things. Why the 2600k if not a power user? It's WAY overkill for what you need sounds like. Like, WAY.
The 1200w is also WAY more than you need.
same with CPU cooler,
same with ram.

Do me a favor, tell me what the hell you intend to do with this machine? It might let me help you a little better. Because unless you are doing SERIOUS video editing (read: Job) then you have WAY to expensive components.

To answer your question, you need a Z68 motherboard. One that doesn't say VGA required.

I am very intrigued about what you are using this system for. It intrigued me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Your CPU has integrated graphics. Your motherboard doesn't have the connector, so the graphics engine is disabled.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very funny
Man up and buy a $35 card

The problem is your motherboard has the wrong chipset. The P67 chipset is primarily meant for people who are looking for performance (overclocking) and it does not have the ability to access the video core in a Sandy Bridge CPU.

The H61/H67 chipsets will allow you to use the video core, but it basically lacks overclocking capabilities.

The Z68 chipset is basically a combination of the H and P chipsets. It'll give you overclocking options and the option to use the video core in a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Solution

jlx1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Thanks guys. I knew there had to be a simple answer--this is my first build, still learning...
I looked at some Z68s, but the more I thought about it, I figured I'm probably better off with a video card...b/c if it goes bad I can just pull it and chunk it as opposed to trouble shooting a bad mobo...
Striker410: I forgot to list the OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD in my parts list...

Still want to know what I'm gonna use it for?...

Seriously though, I plan on using 3 monitors, running two forex software programs (w/live data feeds monitoring multiple time frames), two forex trade platforms open at the same time, and I'd like to have the ability to surf the net, watch an HD movie and maybe sync my iphone all at the same time (without it locking up or waiting for stuff to 'install/configure/save/update/etc.')...

Does anyone know if there are any RELIABLE fanless (super quiet is one of my primary requirements) graphic cards with more than one DVI connector? If not I'll probable go with an H2O cooled EVGA unless anyone has a better suggestion (I'm not always a cheap bastard--I will turn loose of $$$ for a quality prostit--err I mean product.

jlx1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
It's already in the high 90's here in AL and it's not even summer yet! (And the best most household AC's can do is lower the temp. 20 something degrees) But I'm a skinny bastrd so I don't like it much lower than 80F anyhow.
This is one of the reasons why I got a Tt Level 10 GT case--it supposedly has very good airflow. And the mobo supposedly has "military grade" components to withstand heat better...
I remember seeing a fanless graphics card somewhere on the net that was 'covered up' with cooling fins but can't remember where... looks like more d***ed research that I don't have time for! :)

jlx1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Excellent. I really like the idea of having a card in the PCI or PCIEx1 slot as a back-up if an x16 failed... unfortunately I will be running Win 7 and the ATI 2400 PCI isn't compatible... But I did find an hisdigital.com PCIEx1 fanless card that supports 3 monitors (& has good reviews on Newegg) that may be a winner (and only $95)...

Still not sure about the temp. issue though...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Haha, you picked a "best answer" that's not entirely accurate. The accurate answer is that the board has no video output.
n
nIn your instance the board has no output because Intel said it shouldn't (artificial limitation of the chipset when the graphics is actually on the CPU). But there are Z68 motherboards that also lack outputs, even though Intel says they should have these.

MrNikkiCowan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.