Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I could use a pick me up! (pc upgrade)

Last response: in Systems
June 11, 2011 9:14:15 PM

Hello everyone, as you see I am a noob to this site but have been recommended to check it out by countless people, thus, here I am. My main question is about what parts of my pc to upgrade which will yield decent gains but will still be viable years to come.

My PC Story
Spoiler
So some background about my rig, I was given my current pc (specs are below) and am absolutely loving pc gaming. I have mainly been playing rpgs like, The Witcher 1 and 2, Mass Effect 2 , Oblivion, etc. It is great but I hate that I have to play the majority of them at the lowest settings. But hey it was free so wtf, can't complain too much. Here is where I hope you guys can give me some advice.

Budget: Somewhat flexible as I probably won't be getting anything within the next couple months, mainly want a rig that can run Skyrim on med settings. Also I can ask a couple family members to go in on a part to get me for Christmas and such so yeah. Basically just putting the feelers out there.

Current rig:
Processor= Intel Core 2 quad cpu @ 2.66GHz (intel core 2 extreme qx6700)
Video Card= Nvidia GeForce 8800Gts (640Mbs)
PSU= HX62O Watt (corsair)
MObo: Intel D975XBX2kr
RAM: 4gb Kingston ddr2
Case: Thermaltake Shark
Resolution/screen: no idea haha All I know is that it is from Dell (like ones you get from buying a pc)

Thanks!

More about : pick upgrade

Best solution

June 21, 2011 8:45:59 PM

I'd upgrade your video card and call it good. The rest for gaming is pretty standard, especially if you have a 32bit system. If you have a 64bit, upgrade the ram!

With a new videocard, you will be blown away with the difference. Just pick one in your budget and dont forget to read the NUMEROUS posts on which card is better. Toms Hardware even has a section where they compare performance, so please check that out too.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2011 9:05:06 PM

dont know your budget for your card, but a graphics card upgrade would be your best choice, your RAM seems fine, and your CPU is still a very strong CPU. even an upgraed eto a GTS450 would be good for witcher (would allow you to play on high settings, at 1080p resolutions) what is your budget though, beucase you chould also go for better cards (allow you to play on ultra settings/high settings on all games).

m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2011 10:14:50 PM

ps3hacker12 said:
dont know your budget for your card, but a graphics card upgrade would be your best choice, your RAM seems fine, and your CPU is still a very strong CPU. even an upgraed eto a GTS450 would be good for witcher (would allow you to play on high settings, at 1080p resolutions) what is your budget though, beucase you chould also go for better cards (allow you to play on ultra settings/high settings on all games).

First of all Thank you for the response and my budget, that is a good question. Mainly because I will be waiting later in the year to get it and if my cpu is fine then I could spend more on the card you know? Any you would recommend in the $200-$250 range? Also any solutions for keeping the system cooler? I am using the stock cpu fan so I am sure I need to switch that out. Right now my max temps while gaming are about 65 C but I am sure they will go up if I get a better card. thanks again!

@ CompTIA_rep
thanks! and yeah I have a 32bit, for now anyway, plan on doing a decent overhaul early next year.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2011 5:55:48 AM

enemyofusall said:
First of all Thank you for the response and my budget, that is a good question. Mainly because I will be waiting later in the year to get it and if my cpu is fine then I could spend more on the card you know? Any you would recommend in the $200-$250 range? Also any solutions for keeping the system cooler? I am using the stock cpu fan so I am sure I need to switch that out. Right now my max temps while gaming are about 65 C but I am sure they will go up if I get a better card. thanks again!

@ CompTIA_rep
thanks! and yeah I have a 32bit, for now anyway, plan on doing a decent overhaul early next year.

an ati 6950 2gb would be a great option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

review:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/12/16/ati-radeon-...

and the 6950 can be flashed into a 6970:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

if you dont want to go for a 6950, you could go for other cards such as the 6850:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

both would be a huge upgrade over your current card.
m
l
June 22, 2011 9:40:38 AM

Ok cool will look into that! Is the main difference between and ATI vs Intel card, mainly the price?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2011 2:15:54 PM

enemyofusall said:
Ok cool will look into that! Is the main difference between and ATI vs Intel card, mainly the price?

the two graphics card competitors are ATI (owned by AMD) and Nvidia, the two main CPU competitors are AMD and Intel.

but you can look around at charts and review, the main thing to search for is reviews. (you should include the brand name too eg XFX 6950 and the GDDR amount eg 2gb, so its 'XFX 6950 2gb review'.)

anandtech GPU benchs are quite helpful for this purpose too:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/188
you can see on the graph on the anandtech, price/performance graph, that the 6950 is one of the best value cards around.
m
l
July 2, 2011 12:00:58 AM

Best answer selected by enemyofusall.
m
l
!