Build first gaming system for a 110" screen

caswe11

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am just about to undertake my very first build. I have had a small amount of experience with the inside of a computer such as adding more ram, changing hard drive and adding a gpu once.

This is what i did have n mind and any help is very much appreciated

Approximate Purchase Date: next 2 weeks

Budget Range: €1000/$1500/£900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching hd movies, surfing internet etc

Parts Not Required: speakers, monitor, keyboard, mouse, os.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.co.uk for free shipping

Country of Origin: Ireland

Parts Preferences: would like intel i5/i7 and a ssd for boot times and games

Overclocking: Yes in future before end of year

SLI or Crossfire: Yes in future before end of year

Monitor Resolution:native resolution is at 1280 x 720 native but does 1920x1080. im not using a monitor, i will be using a projector connected through HDMI. the screen is 110" or 10 feet big

Additional Comments: i have a sound system already but i would like to connect it to the computer through optical cable. here is what i have thought of so far for the build with links:

CPU
i5 processor on amazon price £163.37
or i could upgrade to the i7 for £57 moredont know if it would be worth it

MOBO
have been a little stuck on this. I have read that the z68 boards make use of the onboard graphics. (dont really care about this) but the main reason was that it can do ssd and a hdd maybe 1tb

Z68 mobo price 109.69

or for the p67
p67 mobo price 134.10

PSU

picked Corsair 850W as it seems to have had good review but i dont mind on other models
Corsair psu price 130.72

Harddrive

Havent chosen and yet would like a ssd for the os and install games on a bigish harddrive for the movies music etc 1tb preferable. Recommendations please.

ssd

hdd

Ram

dont know much at all about ram. Have read gskill are a really good brand and these seemed to be the cheapest :S G.skill ram price 63.08

Case

HAF 922 mid tower chassis. seems to have good airflow. I really dont mind any other cases. Can be full or mid size doesnt matter for me. if i was to overclock the unit later would a full tower be a better option?

HAF 922 price 86.63

HAF 932 price 110.75

CD drive.

I dont need one but i dont know if the machine will work without if i can can i leave it out and will it work?

Graphics

This really was the hardest choice and i am still thinking about it.
I would like the system to be sli/crossfire later this year hopefully and i would prefer to not have to buy 2 new cards just the one so i am wondering if i can get the best bang for buck with the remaining money ( roughly £220) i picked a sapphire 6950 because it seems to be a decent card hd6950

I have no problem with different cards or paying a little more for a better config. i have no preference for nvidia or amd so any suggestions are helpful.

i have a brother in usa for the next 3 months so i can get a item delivered to him if it is much cheaper ( like £100 cheaper this maybe a option) would just be a little concerned about postage to Ireland making this chore futile.

Any suggestions on how to save money would be brilliant. any cheaper parts or just plain parts i forget to add would be a great help as well.

Thanks to anyone who can find the time to help.

robbiep28

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, I am also from Ireland and this site offers only £10 delivery http://www.scan.co.uk/
It is a bit cheaper than amazon and offers MUCH better selection. You can even ge a gtx 570 for £233 there!

caswe11

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hi all,

I have just seen this on amazon and was just wondering if it was a good deal?
Many thanks to all who can help me with this

I am just wondering if this card is any good at that price.

Thanks